PDA

View Full Version : Rupes LHR 15 Legacy or Mark II

Pages : 1 [2] 3

SeanChav
04-14-2016, 10:30 AM
I was gonna get the 15es cuz the reduced price is very appealing.... But me being the way I am and wanting "the best" I can get I decided the extra $100 for the new guy on the block mk2 was worth it.

Freshjive44
04-14-2016, 12:14 PM
I decided to get the standard 15 ES and spend the extra $100 on some Lake Country ThinPro pads and this HD Speed everyone is raving about. I got a $15 bottle of HD Speed to go with it. Thanks for all the input guys.

Zubair
04-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Again - depends on the user and the application. If you have a 15ES and dont' find yourself needing more power then the question pretty much answers itself. If you struggle with pad rotation in some situations, do a lot of detailing, or just want more power then the Mark II is an upgrade worth investing in.

No I meant something else, let me clarify. You mentioned going from 15ES to 15 MKII being 40% power increase. So going from 15ES to 21 MKII is?

Freshjive44
04-14-2016, 01:41 PM
The 40% increase in power was been discussed here from 15 ES to 15 Mark II but I don't quite understand how it's possible if the motor is the same. The description on Autogeek says the power draw is the same but it "feels" more powerful. I don't doubt that it feels more powerful, but how much more powerful can it be with a very similar motor as the outgoing model?

KBsToy
04-14-2016, 01:50 PM
I decided to get the standard 15 ES and spend the extra $100 on some Lake Country ThinPro pads and this HD Speed everyone is raving about. I got a $15 bottle of HD Speed to go with it. Thanks for all the input guys.

Good choice !!!!

Rsurfer
04-14-2016, 01:58 PM
The 40% increase in power was been discussed here from 15 ES to 15 Mark II but I don't quite understand how it's possible if the motor is the same. The description on Autogeek says the power draw is the same but it "feels" more powerful. I don't doubt that it feels more powerful, but how much more powerful can it be with a very similar motor as the outgoing model?

Good question. I guess you can tweak percentages. Last I heard it was 30%, now its 40%!!

Zubair
04-14-2016, 06:57 PM
Good question. I guess you can tweak percentages. Last I heard it was 30%, now its 40%!!

30% was the conservative average, the minimum value. Also the American or 110V version of the 15ES was 10% less powerful than the Euro 230V version and the 30% performance increase was over the more powerful 230V models so in actual fact 40% increase over the 15ES you guys got.

I have the 15ES 230V model but the facelift model with the newer cable and rubber trigger which I think might be tweaked even further as it corrects faster than my 3401(now that I have spent loads of time with both machines).

I'm still curious on the percentage figure between the 15ES and 21 MKII, me thinks 50%+?

WRAPT C5Z06
04-14-2016, 07:16 PM
I was gonna get the 15es cuz the reduced price is very appealing.... But me being the way I am and wanting "the best" I can get I decided the extra $100 for the new guy on the block mk2 was worth it.

Without a doubt, you made the right choice. I bought the 15ES a while back and sold it a few days later.

Freshjive44
04-14-2016, 09:26 PM
Without a doubt, you made the right choice. I bought the 15ES a while back and sold it a few days later.

Please expound on the reason for the quick sale of the 15 ES. You seem to be a fan of the 15 Mark II yet were so turned off by the 15 ES that you sold it in three days? Are the two tools really that dissimilar?

dlc95
04-14-2016, 09:34 PM

You'll be good with the ES, man.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Please expound on the reason for the quick sale of the 15 ES. You seem to be a fan of the 15 Mark II yet were so turned off by the 15 ES that you sold it in three days? Are the two tools really that dissimilar?
Depending on the pad, I found the pad rotation to stall very easily with the 15ES. The Mark II power has been upgraded significantly, therefore, less prone to pad stall.

Todd@RUPES
04-20-2016, 07:41 PM

Autogeek's description that it "feels more powerful" is both accurate and inaccurate...

Yes it feels SIGNIFICANTLY more power because IT IS SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful.

The confusion is because tool makers and tool sellers (since very few tools are actually made..) in the USA have attempted to draw a correlation between watts and actual power.

Watts is a measurement of how much energy the tool sucks off the grid just like MPG is a measurement how how much fuel (energy) your car burns to move down the road. At least with MPG, the EPA has designated certain standards to allow measurement for comparison. If you idle around in high gear at 30mph on a downhill slope you will generate a very high fuel economy rating. If you run it full throttle in low gear up a hill you will generate a few low fuel economy rating.

Wattage is similar... If I run the tool under very light load it will pull very little energy and thus have a low watt rating. If you lock the spindle of the tool and run wide open it will suck a huge amount of energy off the grid and thus have a high watt rating. The problem is that there is no standard for power tools, and since marketing tells people that a high watt rating is better (this is the same as marketing trying to convince people that a low mpg rating would be better) some creative techniques are used.

In fact, a lot of power tools will claim a high rating, but under full load they cannot pull anywhere near there claims.

Both the legacy BigFoot Polishers and the MKII Polishers will pull a maximum of 500w under high-load, but pull significantly less in most situations. However, the difference is torque (twisting force or working force) is different. The MKII produces 30% more power torque while drawing the same energy as the legacy.

Imagine we have two cars, both which get 20 mpg city (watts). However one produces 200 lb of torque and the other produce 260 lb of torque. Both have the same energy consumption rating, but one is more powerful. I would leary of a marketing company that tells you that a third car, with 10 mpg and 200 lb of torque is better cause they burn more energy.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Yes it feels SIGNIFICANTLY more power because IT IS SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful.
Good to know, as the power of the ES15 was NOT my cup of tea! IIRC, the power jump from the ES15 to the Mark II 15 is greater than the ES21 to the Mark II 21.

Wish the Duetto was upgraded. I would have purchased that before any of them.

Todd@RUPES
04-20-2016, 09:19 PM
Good to know, as the power of the ES15 was NOT my cup of tea! IIRC, the power jump from the ES15 to the Mark II 15 is greater than the ES21 to the Mark II 21.

Wish the Duetto was upgraded. I would have purchased that before any of them.

While the official advertising is that the tools are 30% more power... the LHR15ES actually sees closer to a 40% bump due to the reasons Zubair accurately described.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-20-2016, 09:28 PM
I have the 15ES 230V model but the facelift model with the newer cable and rubber trigger which I think might be tweaked even further as it corrects faster than my 3401(now that I have spent loads of time with both machines).

Whoa, seriously??

To be clear, on speed 4, the Mark II 15 will have ~40% more power than the ES15 on speed 4?