PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars #7 on Gel Coat

lots2learn
04-12-2016, 08:01 PM
Good evening. Anyone every tried Meguire's #7 polish on gel coat? If so, what were the result? Thank you.

GSKR
04-12-2016, 08:11 PM
Gelcoat is very pourous and it will dry into the finish.

lots2learn
04-17-2016, 07:53 AM
Gelcoat is very pourous and it will dry into the finish.

Interesting. Thank you.

Hoytman
07-29-2016, 07:52 PM
As far as the information I have read M45 and M7 are the same product or at a minimum very, very similar. Both are considered pure polishes with zero abrasives. Don't let their label of being a pure polish fool you into thinking they're abrasive. These two products infuse and gorge the paint/gel-coat surfaces with oils making them look slick and shiny instead of dead and dry. If what I've read is correct, then either product could and should be used on gel-coat and without worry. Exactly when to use them on gel-coat seems to be more of the correct question to ask as explanations I've read vary and to some degree can be dictated by your own experience in using these products. In other words, experiment. You can use them before or after compound/polishing, but before sealing with a sealant/wax. Some claim little results on gel-coat while others say these products really amped up the shine factor to the highest maximum potential.

I like using them after compounding and on occasion before as I've found that on occasion the extra oils on the gel-coat can aid in oxidation removal, but in today's time there are better alternatives (like one-step compound and polishes) for cutting through heavy oxidation such as new products in the Marine31 line-up sold here at Autogeek, leaving M45 and M7 products to simply put oils into the gel-coat and simply amp up the shine by way of those oils...a process either product cannot be beat at when it comes to simply amping up the shine in preparation for a wax or sealant.

To be sure though, I would recommend contacting Mike Phillips here at Autogeek, or even give Mike Stoops and/or Mike Pennington at (both work for) Meguiar's a call. I would think between the 3 of those guys you could make a very good educated guess as to the two products' similarities.