PDA

View Full Version : Engine degreaser that won't stain or chalk

FASTFATBOY
04-12-2016, 07:57 AM
I have a C5 Z06 that I do track days with, it has an issue with filling catch cans with oil and then it makes a mess under the hood.

I used Purple Power Citrus cleaner on the back of the car where it was nasty with oil and it came right off and didn't harm the paint. Is this a good choice to clean under the hood?

I will use a pressure washer to get it done as sand has stuck to the oil residue under the car. I don't want whatever I use to alter color under the hood but be strong enough to get it done.

Any over the counter stuff? The Purple Power Citrus seems pretty good.

Pic of said car

GSKR
04-12-2016, 08:29 AM
Use a product that is non caustic.If you can wait 2 to 3 days,I would get the opti power clean from ag it's gentle and you can dilute it and has no dye.

JeffM
04-12-2016, 08:31 AM
I second ordering power clean, I wouldnt touch an awesome car like yours with purple power, simply green or LA Awesome as much as people lke that one.

Mantilgh
04-12-2016, 08:31 AM
If you are happy with the Purple Power you could stick to that. I was trying to find the right msds for it. I think I would be more worried about it on the painted surfaces. I've been using 3D Orange 88 citrus degreaser for things like this. LA Totally Awesome is a good OTC substitute for it. The Purple product may be similar though.

7.3powerstroke
04-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Optimum Power Clean is a great cleaner. Effective yet safe

PA DETAILER
04-12-2016, 11:20 AM
McKee's 37 Engine Degreaser, engine cleaner, car engine cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-engine-degreaser.html)

FUNX650
04-12-2016, 01:33 PM
•This is probably one of the safest
degreasers on the market nowadays:

- 303 Marine Citrus Cleaner & Degreaser (http://www.autogeek.net/303-marine-citrus-cleaner-degreaser.html)

•However: Once you get things cleaned-up...
-You'll still be facing the same issue
in the future.

•Sounds like the oil catch can system,
or perhaps its routing, is the trouble maker.

IMO:
The aftermarket doesn't do a very
scientific job of testing on these types
of "theoretical-devices" that they sell.

Personally: I'd take it off.

Bob

FASTFATBOY
04-16-2016, 05:21 PM
I did use the Purple power citrus, it did a good job but did discolor the radiator plastics a little.

Mothers VLR took car of the plastics, looks good thanks guys.

SANTA3013
04-17-2016, 12:15 AM
I just detailed the engine on my newly acquired 1990 Miata and used Simple Green Aircraft and Precision Parts cleaner and it is a great product. It is safe on aluminum, plastic and paint really cleans.