PDA

View Full Version : Kids+rocks=Touchup paint

Pages : [1] 2

greger
10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Hello All,

As the title suggests my car was pelted with some rocks while driving down the highway here in NJ the other day (the GSP for the locals). Since I wasnt under an overpass and they are on the top of the roof and trunk I can only assume it was some kids being stupid. It scared the crap out of me for a second as I didnt know what happened. I didnt realize how bad it was till I finally got out of the car later to survey the damage.

Two golf ball size dents on the trunk and one on the roof. Two of the dents are down to the bare metal which leads into my touch up paint question. Sorry no pics of the carnage my camera battery was dead

I found a PDR person to take out the dents. He offered to fill in the scratches/chips if I bring him the touch up paint. I told him since my vehicle had a clear coat (2004 Honda Accord Nighthawk Black) I thought that the paint/clear had to applied in separate stages and that you must wait 24-48 hours for each to cure.

He suggested that I do not apply the clear coat that it will make it look too blotchy. The scratches/chips are fairly small all things considering about 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch each a total of three, two on the roof and one on the trunk.

Any thoughts, should I follow his advice and not use the clear. How about prepping the area for the touch up paint. And lastly how long should I wait before trying to polish. I was planning to do my very first UDM polish on my car this weekend as I just received my AG order today.

thanks
g

P1et
10-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Kids throwing rock + nice paint = fist in face of kids.

Sorry to hear this happened to you. I would have loved to drive back to the drive and given them all a good donkey punch.

Perhaps it might be better to take it up with your insurance company and see how much that would cost?

style
10-10-2007, 08:51 PM
check this out Secret Paintless Dent Removal Technique - Easy And Cheap! Video (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/820799/secret_paintless_dent_removal_technique_easy_and_c heap/)

dontsleeponit
10-10-2007, 09:16 PM
check this out Secret Paintless Dent Removal Technique - Easy And Cheap! Video (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/820799/secret_paintless_dent_removal_technique_easy_and_c heap/)

interesting... the video is somewhat convincing, ever tried it yourself? I saw a guy do paintless dent repair once, he didnt use the ice like they say they do in the video. He had to get behind the panel with alot of special tools and "massage" it out.

greger - sorry to hear that man, that some BS

I would do the touch paint myself if I were you. The dent guy is probably telling you to stay away from the clear because he doesnt know that you can polish the paint afterwards to blend the area.

I dont have much touch up paint experience myself, but im currently tackling some spots on my car as well, we'll see how it goes I guess.

greger
10-10-2007, 09:36 PM

That is some pretty wild stuff, I have never heard of that before. I have some cans of compressed air maybe I will try with that on the dent where there is no severe paint damage

I would do the touch paint myself if I were you. The dent guy is probably telling you to stay away from the clear because he doesnt know that you can polish the paint afterwards to blend the area.

I dont have much touch up paint experience myself, but im currently tackling some spots on my car as well, we'll see how it goes I guess.

Yeah you are prob right, but the PDR guy does do body work as well. I might let him put on the touch up paint since it has to cure 24-48 hours before applying the clear coat anyway.

Then I can decide if I am brave enough to polish. This is my first attempt with the UDM so I am still nervous about it. Besides I only have XMT360 I doubt I would be able to polish it out with that.

dontsleeponit
10-10-2007, 09:45 PM
This is my first attempt with the UDM so I am still nervous about it. Besides I only have XMT360 I doubt I would be able to polish it out with that.

I hear ya, you can always do the clear coat later when you feel more up to the polishing. Believe me, speaking as someone pretty new to polishing also, it is easier then you may think, and a DA polisher is near fool proof. You will need something more then 360 though.

If your local (bergen county) and ever need a hand feel free to PM me.

style
10-10-2007, 10:42 PM
look in your phone book for a dupont paint store after using the dry ice on a hot car it works , ask them for croma base paint and match it by vin# you need base coat and clear coat hardner and reducer mixing sticks are free and get two quart size empty containers mix a little of your paint then get a tooth pick and dab it in the whole wait 20minutes and then mix a little clear coat then agian go and get a new tooth pick and fill it in completely its ok if its to high or looks like a bump let it dry till morning then get a sheet of 1500 grit and a sanding block wet sand it like an x patern till its smooth then proceed with compound with a high speed buffer then the usual wax etc... the dry ice makes alot of noise but works perfect, if the metal is hot its better as the cold causes it to contract.....

Tragu
10-11-2007, 06:20 AM
A little over a decade ago I was under a small train over pass and some teens threw rocks on my car I kept driving up around the corner to the next over pass that was about 1/2 block up and I parked my car and I very quietly walked down the tracks and there were 2 kids all I can say is that I got one of them and I dont think he will be doing that again or atleast till his wrist heals. Oh yeh and his eyes had to let the swelling down. Yes I did feel much better!!!!!!!!

A1monky
10-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Kids+ Rocks= Sue The Parents!!!

Sorry to hear that freind, hope it all works out for ya.

Pauly6401
10-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Kids + rocks = dead children.

However, I don't advocate donkey punching children as that would lead to a whole separate avenue of lawsuits and database registrations....

Truls
10-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Kids + Rocks + car = @##¤%&"///"" and maybe some ##=&%%¤#)__¤¤ afters...then i rest my arms....

Strokin04
10-11-2007, 04:03 PM

However, I don't advocate donkey punching children as that would lead to a whole separate avenue of lawsuits and database registrations....

:iagree: That could lead to Chris Hansen asking you to "take a seat" and downhill from there. However I am all about teahing the punk kids some act right!!!

greger
10-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Yeah I would have loved to catch the kids just to scare them.
But doing 85mph with no exits in sight made it kind of difficult.

I am going to try the dry ice/compressed air technique that Style mentioned and see if it will pop out the dents. I'll post the results.

ScottB
10-11-2007, 06:30 PM
dry ice is typically a fallacy, seems to me it was on mythbusters also. While light aluminum may buckle, it is typically a tool used behind the dent to remove or press out the dent.

I have had a couple small dents removed locally, and they are reasonable and work rather well. My father uses them at the dealership on alot of the used cars also.

P1et
10-11-2007, 07:54 PM

How about just punching them so hard it'll feel like a donkey kicked them!!!