PDA

View Full Version : Ordered 2016 black Infiniti QX70

Uckeye62
04-11-2016, 07:35 PM
Assuming paint is in great condition (having not sat on a lot and will not have have dealer detail car for delivery), would you use a paint coating (which one) or would you wax with a very high quality wax often? (Again which one?) I enjoy waxing, so I'm most concerned about a beautiful finish. Other than coating wheels and glass, is there anything else you would do?

GSKR
04-11-2016, 08:14 PM
Nice truck and huge, nothing beats a coating and I personally think it would be wise being that it's so big.just washing it is a big time consuming task.I had a 2009 q56 in wheat and washing it the right way took some time.

Cabrio
04-11-2016, 08:25 PM
As fas as coatings are concerned, they will provide greater protection and durability over waxes. That said - the coating leaves behind a much different reflective look than a wax. Both of my cars are black. My DD, 2008 Infiniti QX56 has WG Uber Coating and the other, garage queen, does not, except for the wheels (the brake dust is a killer).

For me, I'm glad I coated my Infiniti. It is a beast, a work horse...it is in emaculate condition. It also has a ton of surface area. That said - for me, the more I look at the reflection of a coated car, the more I prefer the look of a good wax, moreso on black vehicles. IMO - with a black car you lose that deep warm glow. Several months ago I tried BF hybrid montan and was wowed by both the shine and deep look. Another forum member had also peaked my interest in black light and collinite 845. This also stunned me.

I'm also not sure if I will re coat my Infiniti. I also enjoy using waxes and on occasion trying out different products. Once you coat....you're basically done.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at various pics of cars that have been coated and those that have been waxed to compare the look. If you are happy with the look - go for it. If not, since you enjoy waxing - keep to the wax.

Cabrio
04-11-2016, 08:28 PM
As fas as coatings are concerned, they will provide greater protection and durability over waxes. That said - the coating leaves behind a much different reflective look than a wax. Both of my cars are black. My DD, 2008 Infiniti QX56 has WG Uber Coating and the other, garage queen, does not, except for the wheels (the brake dust is a killer).

For me, I'm glad I coated my Infiniti. It is a beast, a work horse...it is in emaculate condition. It also has a ton of surface area. That said - for me, the more I look at the reflection of a coated car, the more I prefer the look of a good wax, moreso on black vehicles. IMO - with a black car you lose that deep warm glow. Several months ago on my garage queen I tried BF hybrid montan and was wowed by both the shine and deep look. Another forum member had also peaked my interest in black light and collinite 845. This also stunned me.

I'm also not sure if I will re coat my Infiniti. I also enjoy using waxes and on occasion trying out different products. Once you coat....you're basically done.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at various pics of cars that have been coated and those that have been waxed to compare the look. If you are happy with the look - go for it. If not, since you enjoy waxing - keep to the wax.

Cabrio
04-11-2016, 08:29 PM
Sorry for the near duplicate posts - somehow had two windows open on my iPad and hit reply on both windows.

Rsurfer
04-11-2016, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=Cabrio;1371251If you haven't already done so, take a look at various pics of cars that have been coated and those that have been waxed to compare the look. If you are happy with the look - go for it. If not, since you enjoy waxing - keep to the wax.[/QUOTE]

How can you possibly tell the difference between a coated car and a waxed car by a picture?

Cabrio
04-11-2016, 09:17 PM
How can you possibly tell the difference between a coated car and a waxed car by a picture?

Valid question. When I first started looking into coatings I paid particular attention to the threads show n shine and what did you do detailing related. I was more interested in the different coatings versus comparing a coating to a wax. After a few months I had filtered my coating options down to two. But that's when another forum member made a mention about the "look". I then noticed that even Wolfgang made a slight mention about black vehicles will look deep. I didn't recall reading this type of advertisement with the other coatings (it may very well be there, I just didn't recall) and I began to wonder if there was a trade off between the reflective properties of a coating vs a "a deep look".

So..I went back through the threads and looked specifically at a few of the cars that wowed me in which it was specifically mentioned that they were coated. I then looked at pics of other vehicles in which coatings were not applied. IMO - looking at the pics, the lighting in which the pics were taken was a huge variable so I tried to keep an open mind.

TTQ B4U
04-11-2016, 09:23 PM

It's tough but in person and in some photos, coatings really appear super reflective. All depends on the level of enhancements done to the photo. I pick up on it but then I also own a photo studio :)

FWIW, I love the look of coatings. Had my car done at one point too. However, to me it really depends on the color. On my pure black, the reason I moved away, is I like the look I can obtain in terms of depth with waxes. I also tend to fiddle with my cars more and when in the need will polish areas that I notice tend to get marks, spiderwebs, etc. such as on the fenders, tops of doors below the window, etc. just due in part to people leaning on them, touching the, etc. Nothing stops them 100% but I like to correct them when they appear. That said, coatings don't last long for me :)

ge0rge
04-12-2016, 04:35 AM
Nice truck and huge, nothing beats a coating and I personally think it would be wise being that it's so big.just washing it is a big time consuming task.I had a 2009 q56 in wheat and washing it the right way took some time.

A qx70 is not all that big, not compared to the qx80, or the older named 56. However, all of which are beautiful vehicles. I drive an FX35, and always eye up the QX56 or QX60, 70, and 80s driving by.

GSKR
04-12-2016, 06:21 AM
It's big enough to invest 2 hrs easily washing it and all the extra things like spraywax tire Windows vac.and even more time if you have to wax it properly ever so often.