PDA

View Full Version : Mike. Paint depthness gauge?

Mitch7c
04-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Been doing some paint correction on the side and have been really looking into a depthness gauge. Any suggestions? Something for the average detailer to use that won't break the bank? Ever since I seen the sticky note thickness thread for Clearcoat it's made me wonder how far to push it. I normally have been doing GM paint and have been using chemical guys vss. But looking into heavier stuff now and am afraid to jump with out a gauge almost to check up on the paint. Thanks in advance!

FUNX650
04-11-2016, 06:42 PM
I'll recommend:
Results for Defelsko - Search (http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/search?catalog=autogeek&query=Defelsko&x=30&y=14)
(The $695 unit should fit the bill)

Because:
1.) Consideration of Defelsko as being
one of the premier providers of world
class measuring-instruments.

2.) Not wanting to be in violation of
Rule #1 of the AGO Forum Rules;

TO WIT:

1. The AutogeekOnline discussion forum is exclusively sponsored by Autogeek.com. Product discussion should be limited to products that are available from Autogeek.com and PBMA's family of websites.

Links, videos or recommendations to competing products and companies that are not available through Autogeek.com will be moved to the Moderators forum and offenders will be warned or simply placed into the SELF-BANNED catogary of member groups on this forum.
-------------------------------------------------------

Bob

TTQ B4U
04-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Pretty self-serving rule....but whatever....... Will take to PM.

GSKR
04-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Been doing some paint correction on the side and have been really looking into a depthness gauge. Any suggestions? Something for the average detailer to use that won't break the bank? Ever since I seen the sticky note thickness thread for Clearcoat it's made me wonder how far to push it. I normally have been doing GM paint and have been using chemical guys vss. But looking into heavier stuff now and am afraid to jump with out a gauge almost to check up on the paint. Thanks in advance!Rookie mistake big time here.I wish I had a paint gauge.washed the transit this weekend and used a product with dye in it and it baked right into the finish stain streaks all the way down and stops right up to the bodyside mouldings .They weren't visible the day I washed it.The only way to remove is sanding the whole truck starting at 400 grit finished the whole side today,will start again on Sat.

Mitch7c
04-11-2016, 09:46 PM
400 grit? Dang

parttimer
04-12-2016, 08:23 AM
WOW, 400 grit, that is crazy incredible.
There is an open thread on here, surprisingly, of a meter not sold on here that people are going with, I have one as well. Not sure why some threads for non AG products get the axe when others don't.

GSKR
04-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Went to a body shop to get 400 pro bono and they said it can't be done,it's coming out great thank god for fg 400 .400 1000 1500 rotary wool,then finish with griots fast correction and perfecting cream with da.

Setec Astronomy
04-12-2016, 08:53 AM
For some reason, this instrument is very hard to find in the store:

HighLine Meter Paint Thickness Gauge 2nd Generation (http://www.autogeek.net/highline-paint-gauge.html)

It doesn't show up in the "shop by brand" dropdown box, nor on this page Auto Detailing Supplies: quality detailing tools & auto detailing equipment (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtools.html) where the Defelsko instruments appear, however, if you go to the "shop by brand" PAGE, or search under "highline" in the "search Autogeek" box at the store, you will find it. I would be willing to guess if this instrument was easier to find in the store, the sales would increase.

I believe I became aware of it through an Autogeek email or perhaps it was listed at one time under "What's New".

FUNX650
04-12-2016, 09:05 AM
For some reason, this instrument is very hard to find in the store:

HighLine Meter Paint Thickness Gauge 2nd Generation (http://www.autogeek.net/highline-paint-gauge.html)

^^^ Thanks.

I thought for sure that AGO had
stopped carrying this PTG.

Bob

Mike Phillips
04-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Been doing some paint correction on the side and have been really looking into a depthness gauge.

Any suggestions?

Something for the average detailer to use that won't break the bank?

Ever since I seen the sticky note thickness thread for Clearcoat it's made me wonder how far to push it. I normally have been doing GM paint and have been using chemical guys vss. But looking into heavier stuff now and am afraid to jump with out a gauge almost to check up on the paint.

Thanks in advance!

Hope you don't mind I formatted your post with some line breaks to make it easier to read and digest.

There's basically two groups of paint thickness gauges on the markets, high quality that's accurate and less expensive.

High quality and accurate
Defelsko PosiTest DFT Combo Electronic Paint Thickness Gauge (http://www.autogeek.net/paint-thickness-gauge.html)

Less expensive
HighLine Meter Paint Thickness Gauge – 2nd Generation (http://www.autogeek.net/highline-paint-gauge.html)

Both are popular and both fly off our shelves...

:)

Mike Phillips
04-12-2016, 10:49 AM
I did an interview recently with Auto Detailing News and one of the questions they asked me was what I though was one of the biggest problems in the detailing industry.

My answer was related to the below article I wrote 6 years ago. That is too often, people that are new to detailing are doing show car detailing when they should be doing production detailing. It's when you're doing show car detailing you need a Paint Thickness Gauge. If most of your work is detailing daily drivers then you don't need a PTG because you should be using a one-step cleaner/wax.

See my article here,

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/27827-few-tips-starting-part-time-detailing-business.html)
Match your services to your customer

:)

Mitch7c
04-12-2016, 01:37 PM
@mike

I've recently been doing it on side as extra cash flow.

I'm doing some scratch and swirl removal to mostly family and friends cars. Other wise I'm normally just doing a wash\clay/wax.

Just trying to gear up for an upcoming black truck I'm doing and don't wanna have to fork out the cash if something would happen. I'm using chemical guys vss and nothing heavier right now due to lack of knowledge.

Thank you

Mitch7c
04-12-2016, 01:41 PM
And I've read that article on you saying about the to different people. Definately opened my eyes up to what I have been doing.

Rsurfer
04-12-2016, 02:08 PM
WOW, 400 grit, that is crazy incredible.
There is an open thread on here, surprisingly, of a meter not sold on here that people are going with, I have one as well. Not sure why some threads for non AG products get the axe when others don't.

Either the mods don't catch it or they were no links and only mentioned the name. Some will give full blown reviews and that's a no no.