PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang uber ceramic coating

JRZcape
04-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Mike, How long do i have to wait to put wax over the Wolfgang uber ceramic coating and is it worth doing.

ScottB
04-11-2016, 04:32 PM
don't do it .... no need. I have used several spray sealants and waxes over it and very little difference is noted. Adding a traditional wax or paint sealant appears unnecessary. The Uber Coating is very glossy and reflective on its own.

JeffM
04-11-2016, 04:49 PM
Well your no fun!

JRZcape
04-19-2016, 12:54 PM
don't do it .... no need. I have used several spray sealants and waxes over it and very little difference is noted. Adding a traditional wax or paint sealant appears unnecessary. The Uber Coating is very glossy and reflective on its own.
Wheels, Thanks for the information. I coated my dark green F-250 and the shine is incredible.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-19-2016, 01:35 PM
Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

As Killrwheels has mentioned, Wolfgang Über Ceramic coating imparts a beautiful look all on its own.

However if you must top it with a wax, the only thing I recommend is Pinnacle Synergy. It is the only wax I know of that has some of the same properties found in coatings.
Black Label Synergy, synthetic wax, coating wax, best paste wax (http://www.autogeek.net/black-label-synergy.html)

Jaretr1
04-19-2016, 03:51 PM
I read that waxes can actually have an adverse effect on ceramic coatings. Aside from an occasional wipe down with a quick detailer, I dont beleive there is any benefit at all to putting a wax on top of this coating.

ScottB
04-19-2016, 04:41 PM
Well your no fun!

sorry ... I have given it the try however. I find only one spray to date that adds a little bit more gloss, McKee's Fast Wax. I even got a "roll down your window" and asked why my car looks so wet.

cardaddy
04-19-2016, 07:04 PM
Whether or not topping a coating actually 'helps' the coating properties is, (for 'geeks' at least) likely a moot point. ;)

That being said... I'll top many of them with all sorts of polymer spray "sealants" as a 'booster' of sorts. Be that Aquawax, Megs 156, or Wolfgang, Blackfire, or Pinnacle variants of spray sealants. (My personal favorite is WG.) ;) I've also used the PBL booster, and GTechniq which is mondo glossy and slick.:props:

Not that it actually adds any additional gloss, or slickness for that matter. But... what it **WILL** do, is make the vehicle much easier to keep clean. Although... the coating itself is the main reason that happens, being so extremely hydrophobic.

What all this stuff DOES do on the surface (for me at least) is help me wash, and especially dry the vehicle(s). If mine (for instance) is just a bit dusty from driving in dry weather, then I'll snow foam it, rinse, snow foam again, rinse and the blower does all the work. Never even have to touch it with the Merino mitt OR a towel.

If it's where it needs the mitt... that'll happen during the 'second foam'. Then a PW rinse, followed by a hose rinse (sheeting action) and again... the ol' Toro blower takes off 99% of all water in just a few minutes.:dblthumb2:

Swap to vehicles that don't have a coating (especially one topped with spray-du-jour) and it's a bit more to wash and dry.

Mike Phillips
04-20-2016, 09:32 AM
Here's my take... somewhere I have a solid post on this after talking to Rob Earl from GTechniq

When you top a coating you lose the benefits of the coating and gain the benefits of the topper. Since the forum consensus is that the benefits of a coating are greater than the benefits of a car wax or synthetic paint sealant, to top a coating would be negative contribution not a positive contribution.

That said... beauty is in the eye of the holder

Me? I don't top anything I've coated with a paint coating.

Hope that helps...

:)

conman1395
04-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Whether or not topping a coating actually 'helps' the coating properties is, (for 'geeks' at least) likely a moot point. ;)

That being said... I'll top many of them with all sorts of polymer spray "sealants" as a 'booster' of sorts. Be that Aquawax, Megs 156, or Wolfgang, Blackfire, or Pinnacle variants of spray sealants. (My personal favorite is WG.) ;) I've also used the PBL booster, and GTechniq which is mondo glossy and slick.:props:

Not that it actually adds any additional gloss, or slickness for that matter. But... what it **WILL** do, is make the vehicle much easier to keep clean. Although... the coating itself is the main reason that happens, being so extremely hydrophobic.

What all this stuff DOES do on the surface (for me at least) is help me wash, and especially dry the vehicle(s). If mine (for instance) is just a bit dusty from driving in dry weather, then I'll snow foam it, rinse, snow foam again, rinse and the blower does all the work. Never even have to touch it with the Merino mitt OR a towel.

If it's where it needs the mitt... that'll happen during the 'second foam'. Then a PW rinse, followed by a hose rinse (sheeting action) and again... the ol' Toro blower takes off 99% of all water in just a few minutes.:dblthumb2:

Swap to vehicles that don't have a coating (especially one topped with spray-du-jour) and it's a bit more to wash and dry.

When I use 156 or Aquawax over Cquartz, I notice a slight difference in gloss, but a noticeable difference in slickness. I might notice more of a difference in gloss if my car wasn't white.

To be honest though, I prefer to not top Cquartz because I feel Aquawax attracts dust and pollen. 156 a little less so, but I feel like my car stays less dusty/pollen-y when I wash my car with something lacking any wax or sealant - something like D114.

The Guz
04-20-2016, 10:36 AM
Maintaining with PBL coating Booster would be the only thing I would use with Wolfgagn Uber Coating if I was looking for a topper.

Ted Y
05-05-2016, 01:03 PM
How does the application of WG Uber Ceramic compare to the application of an Optimum Gloss Coat? Are the processes similar?

Ted