PDA

View Full Version : Special pads needed for Corvettes??

Pages : [1] 2 3

TNT-C5
06-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Just received a newsletter from a competitor of AG touting special pads to be used on fiberglas and composite material surfaces such as Corvettes which do not allow the heat to build up. They say the fiberglass does not dissipate the heat like metal. Is this true? Anyone with experience in this area?:confused:

abrcrombe
06-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Killr should be able to add his first hand advice. He drives/details a c6.

MikeyC
06-24-2006, 02:09 PM
I know exactly which competitor you're talking about because I get the same email. While I don't personally know the ins-and-outs of detailing a car with a fiberglass body, I will say that this particular company is well known for their marketing. Clearly, they're trying to get you to think you need these pads, but personally I doubt you would really see a difference.

ScottB
06-24-2006, 02:29 PM
I find it to be marketing hype .... first the PC does not generate any real heat anyways. I have used standard Lake Country pads on both my C5 and my C6 and never had a issue to date.

Zymol made/makes a paint specially for the Corvette also ... funny since its the same paint used on every other GM car.

kellyinkc
06-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Curious, is the Vettes CC hard or soft????

abrcrombe
06-24-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't really understand hard clear and soft clear. How can you even tell if it is a clear coat paint job, or single stage. Thanks.

kellyinkc
06-24-2006, 07:58 PM
I think single stage paint will come off onto your pad. Wipe the paint and it will turn the color of the car. CC leaves pad colorless. I think this is correct.

Kelly

abrcrombe
06-24-2006, 08:02 PM
I have a portion of my car that looks like the clear has gone away. I have used a PC, and it doesn't affect the coloring of the pad at all. It isn't glossy at all, and you can see traces of what I think is the clear coming off. I know single stage paints aren't matte finish though, so ... I don't know. Haha

dengood1
06-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Jeez Killr, TWO vettes and a new truck......:righton: what else, what else:awesome:

ScottB
06-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Jeez Killr, TWO vettes and a new truck......:righton: what else, what else:awesome:

She (C5) died a premature death, thus the C6 was needed to replace. But may she rest in peace since she saved me and allowed me to walk away with but 1 little scratch.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/167Sep30_03.JPG

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/167Corvette_Parts_007.jpg

dengood1
06-24-2006, 09:37 PM
eeeewwwww......how'd that happen? Yeah, that fiberglass just doesn't hold up to telephone poles at 100+ mph;) lol....just kidding. Got you a C6 didn't it........worked out well:D Is that your C6 in your avatar?

ScottB
06-24-2006, 09:49 PM
eeeewwwww......how'd that happen? Yeah, that fiberglass just doesn't hold up to telephone poles at 100+ mph;) lol....just kidding. Got you a C6 didn't it........worked out well:D Is that your C6 in your avatar?

one of senior population decided to cut across 3 lanes of oncoming traffic without stopping and well, the lowest car of the bunch didnt have time to stop prior to getting tackled at cruising speed by a Buick. I walked away ... and the next morning ordered the C6.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/167Vette_008.jpg

dengood1
06-24-2006, 10:00 PM
pure sweetness! Very nice machine. What do the new vettes go for?

PS. Glad you didn't get "smacked" by the Buick. What would we all do w/out the "master"? lol

While I got you here.......I just got the Klasse AIO to put on my wifes white 2004 Honda Accord and was wondering what pad/speed combo I should use to apply? Does the polish need worked in, or will it break down(flash)? Can I do the whole vehicle at one time, then remove at one time? Sorry for all the questions, but I've read that Klasse products are "finicky"....mostly the sealant, which I didn't get yet. Would you recommend the sealant or just topping with some nuba? Thanks Killr:)

ScottB
06-24-2006, 10:10 PM
While I got you here.......I just got the Klasse AIO to put on my wifes white 2004 Honda Accord and was wondering what pad/speed combo I should use to apply? Does the polish need worked in, or will it break down(flash)? Can I do the whole vehicle at one time, then remove at one time? Sorry for all the questions, but I've read that Klasse products are "finicky"....mostly the sealant, which I didn't get yet. Would you recommend the sealant or just topping with some nuba? Thanks Killr:)

Klasse AIO is probably the most versatile and easy to use AIO type product. You will find yourself using it on everything from wheels, to countertops, to the shower (dont, I repeat dont do the floor, its a very painful experience)

I have used it by hand with great success. Have used it alone with reapplication monthly as a cleaner/sealant type product and have used it with my PC (white pad / speed 4.5) with great success. It isnt really an abrasive polish, more of a chemical cleaner with some kick. It dries quickly and very easy to remove with a micro. It can easily remove oxidation but wont remove heavy swirls.

Klasse SG (silver) is the finicky part. You need to use it very sparingly but when used together become an extremely durable product. (I call it bulletproof) Both products dont offer a huge amount of gloss, so you will likely want to top with a 'nuba or use a gloss spray. (Quickshine, 425, Sonus Acrylic Spritz)

dengood1
06-24-2006, 10:23 PM
thanks Killr.....I got the Quickshine yesterday and since it was raining today and didn't get to do the Honda, I used in on some of my wood furniture and countertops:p I had to try it out!!(OK....only the dining room table) Actually, I used it on the exterior windows of my car last night and was impressed on how quickly it wiped off and how slick it made the windows. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not even going to mess with the SG....seen too many bad posts(a little afraid to use it quite honestly) By the description on their website, you would think nothing could beat the "gloss" when used. Live and learn I say (or just subscribe to a forum) Experience is golden;)