PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in Rupes pads- input needed please

Pages : 1 [2]

Dylan@RUPES
04-11-2016, 11:52 AM
Thats certainly the most unusual pad failure I've ever seen. Like anything theres always some chance its simply a defective pad, but with foam deterioration on this level it would be unlikely. Pads are cut from large buns of common foam, so it would mean we'd see similar/identical catasrophic failure of tons of pads in the same batch. The reports of pad failure vs. the number in the marketplace and the level of failure doesn't seem to point to a foam issue, but stranger things have happened.

I browsed over the thread, so forgive me if I missed it - but looks like you're running speed 4.5 and this is on a 21mm tool? If thats the case I'd recommend backing down your speed to the 3 or 4 range. Its a depature from what everyone has been coached to do for so long, but sustained high speeds are not what the Mark II are designed to do. 3-4 is your 'normal' range then you jump it up to 5 or 6 if you need to compensate for reduced pad rotation in a curve. Also, that pad looks HEAVILY saturated with compound - another counter intuitive thing in our system is the little amount needed. Saturating the pad to that degree can have some impact on the pads performance and ultimately the life of the pad.

Lastly, as was touched on - is solvents - polishes with solvent content seem to have a pattern of eating our green or blue foams. If I missed it I apologize, but what chemicals were being used on the pads?
EDIT - just saw FG400. We have identified a VERY specific pattern of that compound vs. our green foam that they do not play well together. I am unclear as to solvent content (or whatever other content there is in that formula) but I would discourage the use of FG400 specifically with the green or blue. Doesn't seem to have issues with the others and the green seems to be the least compatible. As our compounds are all water based they foams were setup for that in compatibility - the issue between this specific compound and that pad is something that only manifested itself fully in the last 8-10 months and there is a definite pattern.

Zubair
04-11-2016, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback Dylan, will make a mental note not to use FG400 with the Blue/Green pads. However I am hoping Rupes has plans to make the Blue/Green more durable solving the shredding issue even on MK1 ES models with Rupes compounds.

GenesisCoupe
04-11-2016, 09:19 PM
that's crazy! i use the Rupes yellow and white pads constantly. i've had 2 yellows come apart, but that was my fault i over heated the pads too many times.

i'm not a fan of the open cell foam on the blue and green pads, they sling alot and never feel right.

i just started using the LC ThinPro pads on my rupes and they are awesome, the machine runs really smooth with them.

I used the White pad to polish with Essence and had zero issues, i used the yellow briefly to test which pad would work best but went with White.

Thats certainly the most unusual pad failure I've ever seen. Like anything theres always some chance its simply a defective pad, but with foam deterioration on this level it would be unlikely. Pads are cut from large buns of common foam, so it would mean we'd see similar/identical catasrophic failure of tons of pads in the same batch. The reports of pad failure vs. the number in the marketplace and the level of failure doesn't seem to point to a foam issue, but stranger things have happened.

I browsed over the thread, so forgive me if I missed it - but looks like you're running speed 4.5 and this is on a 21mm tool? If thats the case I'd recommend backing down your speed to the 3 or 4 range. Its a depature from what everyone has been coached to do for so long, but sustained high speeds are not what the Mark II are designed to do. 3-4 is your 'normal' range then you jump it up to 5 or 6 if you need to compensate for reduced pad rotation in a curve. Also, that pad looks HEAVILY saturated with compound - another counter intuitive thing in our system is the little amount needed. Saturating the pad to that degree can have some impact on the pads performance and ultimately the life of the pad.

Lastly, as was touched on - is solvents - polishes with solvent content seem to have a pattern of eating our green or blue foams. If I missed it I apologize, but what chemicals were being used on the pads?
EDIT - just saw FG400. We have identified a VERY specific pattern of that compound vs. our green foam that they do not play well together. I am unclear as to solvent content (or whatever other content there is in that formula) but I would discourage the use of FG400 specifically with the green or blue. Doesn't seem to have issues with the others and the green seems to be the least compatible. As our compounds are all water based they foams were setup for that in compatibility - the issue between this specific compound and that pad is something that only manifested itself fully in the last 8-10 months and there is a definite pattern.

Thank you for the input. I did not know about the new speed settings, but will keep it in mind. I'll check out the Rupes line of compounds/polish to see if i want to try anything.

Red Hawk
05-01-2016, 11:40 AM
I found this thread after the fact. I was using the Rupes mini with a green Rupes 4" pad & FG400. New pad, speed 5, 3rd section. Pad started to break apart at the velcro attachment point. Bummer. LC 3" yellow stepped in admirably.

Dylan@RUPES
05-04-2016, 03:18 PM
I found this thread after the fact. I was using the Rupes mini with a green Rupes 4" pad & FG400. New pad, speed 5, 3rd section. Pad started to break apart at the velcro attachment point. Bummer. LC 3" yellow stepped in admirably.

There is a known compatibility issue with the green foam and FG400 and directly relates to the solvent content of that particular compound (which apparently is rather heavy). Switch to a water based or low solvent compound and the issue will be non existent. In any event sorry to hear you had the issue and we're exploring solvent resistant foams, not that we need them for our compounds, but that some people use these and we'll help solve the problem from our end.

Red Hawk
05-13-2016, 09:21 PM
In post #2, Lane states that he uses the Mark 2 with 5.5" Rupes green pads & FG400 all the time. "It's a great combo." What could he be doing different for his pads to be staying together?

lane5515
05-13-2016, 10:27 PM
In post #2, Lane states that he uses the Mark 2 with 5.5" Rupes green pads & FG400 all the time. "It's a great combo." What could he be doing different for his pads to be staying together?

I completed an entire 2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab with that combo and didn't have any issues. No priming, just 4 pea sized drops of FG400 for each 2x2 section running at speed 4.5 and blew the pad out with compressed air after each section. If I remember right I used 6 pads for that job.

sealthedeal
05-14-2016, 02:10 AM
Edit : moved to new post my rant and unpleasant experience (HEAT being the reason with continued use of machine even at speed 4) .

adolfitovr6
05-17-2016, 11:29 AM
In my opinion what I see on the picture of the green pad, It was saturated of compound, and may it was working long time on high speed, I have short time working with rupes machine and rupes pads, I discover that they not need to be primed and they only need a few amount of product.