PDA

View Full Version : Help me With my Original 1982 Mazda Paint!

tommyeflight89
04-10-2016, 06:35 AM
Hey guys,

It is almost spring and I'd like some advice regarding how to properly care for my paint. I have a 1982 Mazda Rx7 with all original paint (red!)

The car is in amazing condition, there is zero rust and just a few small scratches or dents.

When I got the car there was some paint fade. I clay bared it and used Autoglym Super Resin Polish by hand. I followed up with wax. This was a great improvement but I am still concerned about the finish and durability.

It seems like using any product, even a normal wax, is removing paint. Ie buffing on wax results in plenty of red paint left on the foam or microfiber... so I just wash it and use detail spray. The paint still looks good but durability is a concern.

Is this normal for older paint with no clear coat? Is there anything different I can do like buff it down and seal it once and for all?

My car is in amazing condition and I want to me sure I can keep the original paint looking good.

Thanks

Billy Baldone
04-10-2016, 06:52 AM
Yes paint transfer on your pads/towels is normal for a single stage paint. Yes you can polish/cut like normal paint. Do you have a polisher/buffer?

Klasse Act
04-10-2016, 07:23 AM
Welcome aboard!

Mike Phillips has a video here where he works on a old green car, can't remember the make right now, but he brings that color back to where it was when new. IIRC you need to use a glaze in there but watch the video to be sure.

I'd love to see some pics of this car, my buddy has a 79 RX7 but its painted Mazdaspeed 6 pearl red and has fender mirrors added.

SRConcepts
04-10-2016, 07:25 AM
Here's a thread to Mike's single stage restoration techniques, it's a lot of reading but it's worth it :xyxthumbs:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

TTQ B4U
04-10-2016, 08:55 AM
Having grown up in the 70s and 80s im looking forward to seeing pics! I remember Thier TV commercials for this model.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Cabrio
04-10-2016, 09:18 AM
I love that car! While in high school, the introduction of the early 80's model was when I first started getting into cars. As I am sure at one point or another, we all had our dream car....for me...the RX-7 was my dream car.

Please post some pics.

Mike@ShineStruck
04-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Yeah, wanna see pics of your FB
3D adapt or carpro reflect on a boss yellow pad should do it
Essence would be good along with a ceramic coating
That what your single stage paint is sealed for 3 years min

AGOatemywallet
04-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Yeah, wanna see pics of your FB
3D adapt or carpro reflect on a boss yellow pad should do it
Essence would be good along with a ceramic coating
That what your single stage paint is sealed for 3 years min

Do you have a lot of experience with using Ceramic Coatings on Single Stage Paint?

Interested to hear what you have learned from your experience.

SANTA3013
04-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the group! I recently acquired a 1990 Miata and it has single stage paint (white) so I remembered Mike's thread on polishing single stage paint. I already had some No.7 so I hand polished mine using that great product and it really made a difference. For 26 year old paint it was in remarkable condition because the previous (one owner) kept it garaged for it's entire life. My suggestion is read Mike's process using Meguiars No. 7 and see what results you get.

Klasse Act
04-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Seems like the Meg's #7 glaze is THE product to revive the single stage paint.

Looking forward to seeing the pics👍

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Mike@ShineStruck
04-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Do you have a lot of experience with using Ceramic Coatings on Single Stage Paint?

Interested to hear what you have learned from your experience.

I have yet to do a whole car as PA is being bi polar with its weather..
It I did a section of a fender on my 75 Hornet (enamel) and also did part of the quarter panel on my 72 Skylark(Laquer) both turned out great for a half ass prep(waterless wash then coating/paint prep)
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae74/Nothingface5384/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160327_135720209.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/Nothingface5384/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160327_135720209.jpg.html)

PS seems photobucket downgrades/muddys the uploaded imgs

tommyeflight89
04-11-2016, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. When I get it out of storage I will use Meguiars no 7 and go from there. At least that will be a good place to start.

I don't think this car was every really buffed or wet sanded so I trust the original paint is still nice and thick. I was really worried about the colour transfer from almost all the products I tried. If I can get it repaired and sealed and wax that should be all it needs.

There is tons of great info here that is for sure.

Here is a good pic of it. I have a receipt of when it was rust proofed since new and then certainly not winter driven. Not even the spot welds in the rear wheel well lips have surface rust, let alone anywhere else. It's really cool.
http://i.imgur.com/7AypR6K.jpg

AZ Mike
04-11-2016, 03:26 PM
I love that car. Can't wait for the results.

BrianJM
04-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Hey guys quick question, are pads useless after using them on single stage paint? My pads are red after this weekend.

BrianJM
04-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Nvm y'all the pads def came clean.