PDA

View Full Version : why do my towels not absorb like they did when new

Pages : [1] 2

mgh24
04-09-2016, 04:53 PM
I have a stack of micro fiber towels of varying quality, some very plush, some inexpensive. They have always been washed using detergent advertised as formulated specifically for MF towels.

Now when I use them, they act like a dry chamois, they push the water around more than absorbing it. I have even taken to soaking the towels down with water, and then wringing them out before using them.

Today I reached the bottom of the bag of inexpensive towels, and pulled out some that had never been used before, and they were amazing! Super absorbent!

So what has happened to my used towels, what is affecting how the absorb, and is there anything I can do to get them to work like the new towels?

Again, I have only used special detergents, never used softener of any kind, wash in cool water, and dry at low heat - have tried to follow all the suggestions on MF care.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

expdetailing
04-09-2016, 05:11 PM
I am having the same issue. I suspect wax residue, oils, polymers, residual softener from the drier, and such is having an accumulative effect. I plan to soak my towels in hot water with a strong cleaner (probably a mix of apc, degreaser, mf cleaner, and pad cleaner) and wipe the drier before use from now on.

pheerix
04-09-2016, 05:12 PM
I personally think they just get old. The fibers start to shrink and clump up through repeated washing and drying. Plus there might be residual wax or sealant in the towels that don't get washed out thoroughly. I had towels that I used for waterless washing with Megs D115 and they never seem to wash clean unless I ran them through multiple cycles. Might be even residue detergent too. Some advocate boiling towels in a pot to restore the towels but I've never tried it.

DaveT435
04-09-2016, 05:28 PM
I had that problem for a long time. I started putting a little Microsoft detergent in the softener spot on the washer and run it through a rinse cycle with nothing in the machine, and that's after I pull the softener tray out of the washing machine and rinse it out good. That way and fabric softener residue in the washing machine plumbing and the inside of the machine itself are washed away before I wash my towels. I've replaced most of my towels in the last few months so I can't tell you for sure if that's helping. I rarely use wax, mostly coatings and sealants.

Kamakaz1961
04-09-2016, 06:21 PM
This might seem out of the norm but drench your drying towels until they are soaking wet. Hand wring them very well and star drying away. IMO a damp MF Towel dries better than a completely dry towel. Try it. I will usually follow the damp MF towel with a plush MF towel. I would encourage trying that and see your results. I no longer dry my ride any other way.

Optntdr13
04-09-2016, 06:33 PM
This might seem out of the norm but drench your drying towels until they are soaking wet. Hand wring them very well and star drying away. IMO a damp MF Towel dries better than a completely dry towel. Try it. I will usually follow the damp MF towel with a plush MF towel. I would encourage trying that and see your results. I no longer dry my ride any other way.

Easy fix...boil them in water, add vinegar for extra umph.

AGOatemywallet
04-09-2016, 07:00 PM
Simpler , Easier answer

Start using Hot water everytime you wash

The detergent needs the assistance of the hot water to dissolve the oil, grease and LSP residue

yg1829
04-09-2016, 07:58 PM
I only wash my drying towels with my other drying towels and never with towels that contain lsp. Also my lsp towels never need to dry water they are strictly for lsp. It's prolly overkill but it works. It may help that my washer has never seen liquid fabric softener.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MI Mike
04-09-2016, 08:58 PM
I only wash my drying towels with my other drying towels and never with towels that contain lsp. Also my lsp towels never need to dry water they are strictly for lsp. It's prolly overkill but it works. It may help that my washer has never seen liquid fabric softener.

A couple of Ideas !!!
(1) Using to much soap, in cycle. Use vinegar in rinse cycle. To remove excess soap and soften.
(2) On some washers the soap and fabric dispenser is at the top and water passes thru them. I check and clean them out before I use ..
(3) What LSP are you referring to. Possible cross contamination. Sealant dried before washing, etc.
What are you using for soap or dedicated MFT cleaner. ???

cardaddy
04-09-2016, 09:13 PM
Simpler , Easier answer

Start using Hot water everytime you wash

The detergent needs the assistance of the hot water to dissolve the oil, grease and LSP residue

:iagree: WITH :whs:

Towels need to be washed in HOT water.

Even if your water is 140° (which it'll still mix with at least SOME cold water) even that's not going to be too hot for microfiber towels.

You can use a mixture of APC and microfiber detergent as a presoak. Better yet... spray APC directly onto your worst towels before the presoak. Let them soak in your washer for an hour or so, then program your wash for a heavy load, at least a 'regular' cycle (IE not delicate), with an extra rinse, extra spin.

Then dry them on medium heat.

I have a cycle programmed into my washer that takes over 2 hours (including the presoak).

Mike Honcho
04-10-2016, 06:24 AM
Last week I used McKee's 37 Rinse Free Wash & Wax and dried the car using my trusty WW towel. Afterwards I hang the towel in the garage to dry it out. Coupla days ago I did a normal 2-bucket wash using HyperWash. Afterwards I used my trusty WW towel to dry the car but I woulda had better results using a Hefty plastic trash bag. That WW wouldn't pick up water for nothing! Then it dawned on me it must have been the wax in the M37 causing the absorption issues. Gonna try the hot water wash with Towel Kleen today.

AGOatemywallet
04-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Last week I used McKee's 37 Rinse Free Wash & Wax and dried the car using my trusty WW towel. Afterwards I hang the towel in the garage to dry it out..

You are using a WW drying towel multiple times before washing?

Mike Honcho
04-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Yes. That's not okay?

mgh24
04-10-2016, 12:40 PM
Sorry, what is APC?

I have used most, probably all my towels for removing wax, or with water-less washes, so it may well be that they are clogged up. They are not that old, I have only had them a year or so. Couldn't guess how many times I have washed them, but not excessively. Maybe it is time to try some vinegar as a rinse to see if that helps at all.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate the replies.

FUNX650
04-10-2016, 12:42 PM
Yes. That's not okay?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/dhc.gif

Bob