PDA

View Full Version : Severe "micro" water spots + pinnacle black diamond V2 paint coating

Pages : [1] 2

raywbo
04-09-2016, 10:20 AM
An issue and question I have based on some disappointing results I've encountered with this product... Brand new car, paint corrected and coated with V2 paint coating.. I bought the whole kit (glass, wheels, paint). Car is a "garage queen", haven't even driven it in the rain yet since purchase in January. I had even used the "booster" over the coating once it cured.

The last time I washed it, I blew it off with a blower.. the water beads so well it just flies off, but leaves little micro beads, very tiny. I figured they'd just evaporate and dry quickly, which they did. I've just noticed that my hood and roof are covered with micro spots, and they don't come off unless I use a swirl remover/polish. I've tried the paint cleaner/prep that came in the kit, even Klasse AIO as it's contains a non abrasive cleaner with poor results.

I know there are water spot removers I can try, but that's not the point. I've never had this happen on any of my other cars that I used AIO followed by Klasse paint sealant. V2 defiantly has done it's job sealing the paint, but these spots that I'm guessing are mineral based from the water really bind to the coating in a way I thought wasn't supposed to happen.

I'll re-polish, correct and recoat, but am really dissapointed. Don't see my self going forward with this product if it needs such special care.. I'll just go back to 2x per year conventional sealants.

Has anyone experienced similar? Are other coatings better (CC Quartz, etc..) better in this regard? Read so many positive reviews and experiences.. but something is wrong here!

cleanmycorolla
04-09-2016, 11:23 AM
The one downfall of coatings i have used they all create wicked waters spots if they're left to sit. I haven't tried all the coatings out there, but the ones I have they all seem to have water spots here or there. Just my .02

DBAILEY
09-30-2016, 04:35 AM
Ditto. I think the water spotting is the real reason for all the coating toppers out now. Not to keep the protection of the coating up, but because the toppers deal with preventing water spotting better than the base coatings do.

I think that the PBL Glass coating is really susceptible to spotting. It works great other than how easily it allows water spots.

emmjay
09-30-2016, 05:17 AM
Another reason for me to never use any of these coatings again. It needs way too much care and the cost to care ratio is off the charts.

GSKR
09-30-2016, 06:11 AM
An issue and question I have based on some disappointing results I've encountered with this product... Brand new car, paint corrected and coated with V2 paint coating.. I bought the whole kit (glass, wheels, paint). Car is a "garage queen", haven't even driven it in the rain yet since purchase in January. I had even used the "booster" over the coating once it cured.

The last time I washed it, I blew it off with a blower.. the water beads so well it just flies off, but leaves little micro beads, very tiny. I figured they'd just evaporate and dry quickly, which they did. I've just noticed that my hood and roof are covered with micro spots, and they don't come off unless I use a swirl remover/polish. I've tried the paint cleaner/prep that came in the kit, even Klasse AIO as it's contains a non abrasive cleaner with poor results.

I know there are water spot removers I can try, but that's not the point. I've never had this happen on any of my other cars that I used AIO followed by Klasse paint sealant. V2 defiantly has done it's job sealing the paint, but these spots that I'm guessing are mineral based from the water really bind to the coating in a way I thought wasn't supposed to happen.

I'll re-polish, correct and recoat, but am really dissapointed. Don't see my self going forward with this product if it needs such special care.. I'll just go back to 2x per year conventional sealants.

Has anyone experienced similar? Are other coatings better (CC Quartz, etc..) better in this regard? Read so many positive reviews and experiences.. but something is wrong here!sorry to hear that feel your frustrations with this product.I just used it the other day on a porche mucan.Something is wrong,perhaps maybe you got a inferior product batch.Ater you wash any thing coated or non coated should be dried completely.Now if you told me you drove it in the rain and left it to dry and the spots occur then I see your point.I have that promblem with hydro 2 light.But I simply go over it with reload.your promblem could be when you polished the car did you use the prep with pbl?maybe the heat on the surface hood and roof is way to hot.Are there any other spots on the vehicle besides what you mentioned.I would call ag and speak to someone.after the correction did you remove all the residue and oils prior to coating.pbl is so easy to work with and gives a nice glossy shine.If your having promblems with pbl,I wouldn't suggest any other coating till you find out the cause .Gloss coat is a breeze to apply,but you have to see what's going on first .

TTQ B4U
09-30-2016, 06:25 AM
Another reason for me to never use any of these coatings again. It needs way too much care and the cost to care ratio is off the charts.

I'm in the process of testing McKee's 37. My vehicles both have 2 coats of it on. I waited 1-2 washes but after that my S4 got a coating of Collinite 476 on it. The van is coating only. We're in the midst of several days of rain with both cars dirty. Will await this weekend's sunshine to see the results.

The gloss of it is incredible and it sheds water like a duck making drying of the vehicle a breeze.

WaxMaster1
09-30-2016, 06:30 AM
Welcome to the forum, DEFINITELY. :welcome:

zmcgovern45
09-30-2016, 07:38 AM

I believe most would agree that completely drying the car is not classified as "way too much care"... regardless of if you have a wax, sealant, or coating on the car, if any hard water (regardless of size of the droplet) is left on the paint to dry you will have water spots.

Despite your personal struggles, paint coatings can be a great way to help your vehicle look great with minimal effort for longer periods of time. Like any new product, they do take time to learn and understand both in regards to application and care, but in general it is pretty straight forward.

Cruzscarwash
09-30-2016, 09:34 AM
so I have had PBL on a customers car for about 2 months now and have done 3 maintenance washes on it. all 3 times the car has had waterspots on it and 99% of the time they came off with just a regular wash. now those who remember most of my post know that I live in a area with REALLY REALLY REALLY hard water. ive never seen waterspots like the ones we get here anywhere else ive lived. the coating is the best protection ive applied to any car thus far. there has not been any wax or sealant after all of my testings that protects better then a coating. now coatings can still get spots yes, nothing is 100% immune to waterspots and there is also no LSP that does not require some maintenance. it does sound like you have done something wrong in your process, ive applied PBL and M37 now multiple times and ive never had any issues like you speak of, the only issues ive come by are general application issues and the coating flashing to fast but that's again due solely to the area I live in

Nick McKees37
09-30-2016, 09:51 AM
The last time I washed it, I blew it off with a blower.. the water beads so well it just flies off, but leaves little micro beads, very tiny.

That tells me the vehicle was in fact not dried completely.

I figured they'd just evaporate and dry quickly, which they did.

That's how water spots are created. The water itself evaporates, but any minerals, etc that are in the water remain on the surface.

It sounds, at least to me, that your drying procedure is not up to snuff. Continue using your blower, but follow with a soft towel to ensure 100% of the water on the surface has been completely removed.

Water spots will not be created if there's no water on the surface. :dblthumb2:

Hantra
09-30-2016, 12:59 PM
I'm that guy using distilled water with rinseless. I get probably 3 washes from 2 gallons, so it's a no brainer for me. No water spots on the Uber Ceramic at all.

emmjay
09-30-2016, 02:27 PM
I believe most would agree that completely drying the car is not classified as "way too much care"... regardless of if you have a wax, sealant, or coating on the car, if any hard water (regardless of size of the droplet) is left on the paint to dry you will have water spots.

Despite your personal struggles, paint coatings can be a great way to help your vehicle look great with minimal effort for longer periods of time. Like any new product, they do take time to learn and understand both in regards to application and care, but in general it is pretty straight forward.

Hey Zach, I realised my mistake today. Yesterday was a hell of a tiring day and I just skimmed his post. I am not one to not accept a mistake - and I do. I guess while skimming the post I skipped the most important part - which was that he blew the water off and stopped at that....my bad!

However, the comment on care and cost ratio still stand - at least for me as a hobbyist.

I do like the idea that I have mentioned plenty of times. However, the surgical nature of applying the products still has me on edge. So does the fact that after spending a ton on a coating, I have to buy a booster or topper for the coating to "Regain its properties". This still bugs me bigtime. I did not buy such an expensive "coating" that cannot do its job properly and needs a topper. There is probably a reason for it, but the reason cannot be enough to warrant a topper product for the coating to regain its properties. I don't understand how so many people on here accept that with so many of these coatings out there. HOWEVER, if I can get a logical reason for the use of said topper, I might change my mind. It will be tough because the so called 3 year coating cannot lose its properties , because if it does, its not doing anything for the 3 year period, or is it?

This does not mean I will never venture into coatings again, you of all people know how much I want to try a certain other coating. I just want to figure stuff out, wait for cooler weather and try and get a closed garage at least - then I will definitely try it and I hope my results are better. :)

ugafiredawg
09-30-2016, 02:28 PM
I use distilled water as well. Unfortunately for me, it's the rain that leaves the water spots on my uber coating. Being on a black truck, they are easily visible and cannot be completely removed unless I bring out the da and some fine polish. I have since given up on coatings and gone back to a sealant, WG DGPS, and have no issue removing the water spots from rain with a rinseless wash. For some reason, the water spots don't seem to etch the sealant like they do with a coating....

tdekany
09-30-2016, 03:21 PM
Where do you live? I'm in Oregon with all this rain but never had issues with water spots from rain. Are you sure?

ugafiredawg
09-30-2016, 04:09 PM
I'm in rural Georgia and we get our fair share of thunderstorms during the summer. Yeah, I have had a heck of time with spots after a rain with the Uber. Yes, I can get them off so the paint looks fine from a few feet away. But hit it with a swirl finder light and the black paint will reveal the etchings left behind. I don't have this issue using the sealant.