PDA

View Full Version : Foam Cannon

spinningreel
04-08-2016, 07:29 PM
Thinking of purchasing a Foam cannon. Never used on before. Looking at the Chemical Guys EQP 312 Torq.

Question: Once I spray the foam on a vehicle, can I gently use a microfiber wash mitt to hand wash the dirty areas? And then when all done pressure wash off all the suds?

I'm thinking if I just spray foam the vehicle and the rinse that it won't bring off all the dirt.

Any advice or input is welcome. Thanks. Mike B.

shagnat
04-08-2016, 08:24 PM
You will need to use a mitt to wash it. Now, the idea is to foam the car, let dwell if possible for a very few minutes, then rinse, this gets the loose dirt off. Then go back and do a 2 bucket wash. Of course with everything, YMMV.

Hope this helps.

Bunky
04-09-2016, 05:20 AM
I think the greater benefit is to foam, dwell, rinse, then refoam without rinsing and then do a normal wash. Unless you use a potent soap, the foam does not remove the bonded dirt.

ski2
04-09-2016, 07:30 AM
I often wonder if there is a real value to foaming if you first pressure wash to remove grit then do a conventional wash????

Cabrio
04-09-2016, 08:20 AM
There has been many a discussion on this topic with many members sharing different techniques. I own a foam gun and a foam cannon and use a few different techniques depending on my situation and how I am feeling. That said, IMO regardless of what overall procedure I decide to use, what is consistent is that I foam the car, let it dwell to break up and encapsulate the dirt and then I rinse. This helps ensure that you won't introduce any scratches or marring during the rest of the wash process.

Following this, there are times when I will re foam and then wash, there are other times when I wont re foam and use the two bucket system. For me, of course it's about the cleaning the car, but also how much time I have and how much/type of fun I want to have along the way.

As I mentioned in another post, the foam cannon sprays a thick layer of foam that IMO just can't be beat and gives me a lot of confidence that I'm removing damaging grit and dirt from the car before my mitt even touches the paint. At the end of the day - this all comes down to individual preference. I'm also a fan of waterless and rinseless washes. IMO - each method has its place and value.

spinningreel
04-09-2016, 03:57 PM
I gotta be honest, I had never heard of such thing as a foam cannon, but after viewing the Chemical Guys instructional video on their website, It just looked like the coolest thing ever LOL. The cool factor is off the charts.

The Foam, dwell, rinse..............and refoam , wash method seems to make sense to me. Gets the majority of dirt off without unnecessary washing to potentially cause swirls/scratches, then use a gentle hand wash to finish the job.

cardaddy
04-09-2016, 09:17 PM
I can say WITHOUT QUESTION... if you have a coating on your vehicle, and you're only removing dust and/or pollen... that a rinse with a little electric pressure washer, then a foam (and dwell), followed by a rinse again with the pressure washer will get it clean.

No need to even TOUCH it with a mitt, and ESPECIALLY a drying towel. (Again... it needs to have a good hydrophobic LSP on it.) As at this time you can just break out your blower and get 99% of all the water off of it in just a few minutes. :D

VISITOR
04-10-2016, 01:55 AM
Thinking of purchasing a Foam cannon. Looking at the Chemical Guys EQP 312 Torq.

if you purchase a foam cannon, buy it here at AG as they have excellent customer service/support (which cg's is not known for) if there are any problems with it...

Foam Cannon (http://www.autogeek.net/foam-cannon-wash-gun.html)

spinningreel
04-10-2016, 09:34 AM
if you purchase a foam cannon, buy it here at AG as they have excellent customer service/support (which cg's is not known for) if there are any problems with it...

Foam Cannon (http://www.autogeek.net/foam-cannon-wash-gun.html)

I think I'm going to take this advice.

Although I have a question.

I clicked on the AG foam cannon pressure wash kit. I currently own a MI-T-M 3000PSI power washer with Honda GX engine. The Auto Geek foam cannon comes with a choice of adapters, and the Kranzle adapter would fit my wand.

However, on the Chemical Guys video they show their foam cannon being attached to the wand by simply using the quick attach connector. Can the Auto Geek cannon also simply be attached to the end of the wand by using the quick connect?

This would be much better than threading fittings together each time I want to use the Foam Cannon. For example like when I'm finished foaming the vehicle, and I want to detach the foam cannon and switch back to using just water through the wand.

Hope I didn't confuse by my explanation.