PDA

View Full Version : PTG - concerned about readings

lane5515
04-07-2016, 09:06 PM
I have a Highline II PTG and used it today on our 2014 Honda Odyssey. We bought the van brand new 2 years ago. On the hood I took about 20 readings and they all ranged between 34 and 68 microns. The front two fenders came back with almost identical readings. From the passenger/drivers doors back, the readings ranged from 95 to 124 microns. I calibrated the meter after each round of reading because I thought something might be wrong with it. I also used it on another vehicle and got appropriate readings (all over 105 microns).

The van has never been machine polished before or even run through an automatic car wash. I always 2 bucket wash it and the only thing that has been done to it is WGDGPS a couple times a year. I was about to polish it with HD Speed or CP Essence to clear up some minor swirls/marring but now I'm really concerned about the hood and front fenders. Has anyone run into this before? What do you recommend?

AGOatemywallet
04-07-2016, 11:11 PM
The 34 is surprising

I have seen readings as low as 25 microns...but that was on the horizontal of a door jamb on a new Equinox. The paint in this area feels different and I am pretty convinced that the base coat is thin and the clear coat is just a "dusting"