PDA

View Full Version : Newbie! Making the plunge tomorrow!!! Need some advice (more like reassurance)

Pages : [1] 2

Landon8503
04-07-2016, 08:44 PM
First off, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading and watching videos on this forum and website! I have "learned" a great deal about detailing but it's time I get hands on experience. I have tried doing my research on what I need to buy but I am planning on making my purchases tomorrow and just want to make sure I am headed in the right direction. I would appreciate any advice!

So this is basically going to just be for my private use (2 vehicles). A 2010 f-150 white platinum pearl (don't remember the exact color name) and a 2013 Ford Fusion same color as my truck. I'll be honest I have never done anything to either vehicle other than a wash and wax. Since they are white they don't look to bad but I'm hoping to see an improvement. I can't get pics right now so I know it's hard to advise but overall I think the paint is in decent shape. Typical swirl marks debris embedded in the wax and clear due to never claying. I'm listing what I have in mind but to be honest I'm not real thrilled with all of these steps so an All in One would be great! I have plenty of drying towels and mf so no need for those for now. I am working on a budget so that has a lot to do with what I end up getting.

Griot's Garage 6" Polisher
Lake Country 5" backing plate
Lake Country 5.5" thinpro foam pads (2-red, 2-white, 2-orange) should I order another 6 pack? What colors?
Nanoskin kit with polisher pad or should I go the clay bar route?
Griot Machine Polish 2 and 3
Griot Paint Sealant
Griot Best of Show wax

njain2686
04-07-2016, 08:56 PM
I believe that you should order another 6 pads.
As your are on a budget I would suggest you buy Meguiar's Ultimate compound and polish.They are very user friendly.
For wax you can buy Collinte 845.( It may be called wax but it last as good as any sealant)

And if you can an AIO like Meguiars D151 or HD speed.

SRConcepts
04-07-2016, 09:09 PM
I agree with the above, especially with ordering more pads. An F-150 is a good amount of ground to cover, so I'd get another 3 orange and 3 white pads. Keep them clean and rotate them out often, and 5 will get you where you need to be. If your budget allows it, I would look into getting Menzerna FG400 and PF2500 instead of the Meg's Ultimates. Both can finish out in one step if done properly and will help you tackle a good majority of paint types/defects should you detail vehicles other than your own in the future.

AZpolisher15
04-07-2016, 09:33 PM
^^ yup, more pads! Especially if you're doing a two step.

And you might want to think about claying before polish/correction. I'd honestly take a look at HD Speed all in one for a first time.

Mantilgh
04-07-2016, 10:03 PM
Good advice above.

I would go for 4 orange, 6 white, 2 black or red. Then a compound and/or an AIO of your choice. I use Optimum compound and Poli-Seal.

Poli-Seal is nice to work with, has decent correcting ability for an AIO, great cleaning ability, and leaves very good protection(I've have gotten about 5 months out of it on one vehicle). 32oz is also on sale right now.

Optimum Poli-Seal, Polymer sealant, polish sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/32ozoppo.html)

Their Compound II is good, I'm still trying to figure out the best technique for it. It does cut really well and somehow finishes out extremely well at the same time on most hard paints. It will dust if over worked and is more of a drier compound. The new McKee's 37 compound sounds great and is said to have a long working time.

For clay, I would go with just a mitt or the handy towel or one of the other brand clay alternatives to save some money. Mitts and the other clay alternatives are faster than regular clay, but if you would rather do it mechanically, go for it.

MikeC78
04-07-2016, 10:16 PM
Ive used the GG6 and LC thin-pro 5.5" w/ HD Speed, and was highly impressed. For first time results, the ease of use and results are absolutely amazing. I couldn't believe how easy it was and its fool proof.

Furthermore, I do not recommend Griots machine polish. If you're going to use Griots products, get the Boss polish and compounds.

Landon8503
04-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Thanks! I will add 6 more pads. I'm not sold on the Griots products. Just seemed simple with the whole 1,2,3 method. I guess their marketing sold me. I'll can the griots! Sounds like I'd be better doing an AIO until I get the hang of it.

Landon8503
04-07-2016, 10:39 PM
What about pad maintenance? Is a brush, cleaner and conditioner needed to maintain a pad?

Mantilgh
04-07-2016, 10:43 PM
I've used many random brushes that I have around, usually something stiffer. But more important, IMO, is using a towel to clean/dry the pad.

You shouldn't need a conditioner with an AIO. They are more like polishes and the good ones have great working times.

Eldorado2k
04-07-2016, 10:49 PM
What about pad maintenance? Is a brush, cleaner and conditioner needed to maintain a pad?

You can pretty much survive with a folded cotton terry towel pressed firmly against the pad while turning it on to clean on the fly.
I also have a proper Pad Conditioning Brush, but IMO it's secondary when it comes to cleaning a foam pad on the fly.

tenblade2001
04-07-2016, 11:09 PM
Good luck on your first outing. An AIO is a good starting point. I've read a lot of good reviews about HD Speed...super easy to use, which is good for just starting out. I also REALLY like Optimum hyper polish but you would need LSP.
From you list
Griot's Garage 6" Polisher
- solid choice for starting out
Lake Country 5" backing plate
Lake Country 5.5" thinpro foam pads (2-red, 2-white, 2-orange) should I order another 6 pack? What colors?
- 5-6 orange, 5-6 white, 2 red, 2 black
Nanoskin kit with polisher pad or should I go the clay bar route?
- nanosponge or DA pad (fine) with claylube.
- HD Speed or Optimum Hyper Polish (Megs D151 also solid choice)
-Sonax brilliant shine ...GREAT lsp or Blackfire spray wax.
-terry cloth towel to clean on the fly
- a dozen or so 350 (at least) gsm towels
-tape
-pad brush and pad cleaner (when a pad is spent, it is immediately rinsed and goes into bucket with pad cleaner

That's my 2cents...good luck and post pics

Landon8503
04-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the advice! Hard to believe I just spent $350. I went with more pads (12), nanoskin mitt (fine), HD Speed, Blackfire Spray Wax, Blackfire Pad, Cleaner. Anxious to get it in and get started.

MikeC78
04-08-2016, 04:24 PM
No HD Poxy? Poxy works hand in hand, with Speed. However, what you have is great! Let us know how it turns out...

Eldorado2k
04-08-2016, 04:47 PM
No HD Poxy? Poxy works hand in hand, with Speed. However, what you have is great! Let us know how it turns out...

Stupid question: Is HD Poxy a spray wax? Or liquid sealant?

Landon8503
04-08-2016, 05:33 PM

Hmm maybe I didn't do my research. Thought all-in-one was it.