PDA

View Full Version : What detailing is needed after car has set for 5 months

Mr blue
04-07-2016, 06:37 PM
Hello,
i have a 2014 BMW 535i that has just been sitting for 5 months in the elements. ( I really hate that!) It has had a car cover on it for most of the time. The wind may take it off from time to time but usually someone at work puts it back on after a day or two. The car sits because I am on the road a lot for work and it sits in a parking lot. Since I have had the car I have taken care of it by washing and using paint sealant products from Blackfire and Wolfgang. Have not waxed or polish since October. I am wondering what detailing I should perform when I return at the end of April. The last time I saw it there was rust build on the rotors, I also need tips on removing the rust. I try to keep cars looking like new until I trade them. Also just purchased new wheels that have been custom painted and cleared. Wanted suggestion on paint protection products as well. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated or should I just wash it and continue as usual.

ronkh57
04-07-2016, 07:15 PM
A drive around the block will take care of the rotor rust.

Then wash it, and see what it needs. (sorry, nobody can really tell you by a paragraph. need to see pics after wash)

CarolinasFinestDetailing
04-07-2016, 07:55 PM
I echo driving it around to get rid of rotor dust as well as washing it to see the shape the paint is in. You may need to polish around the edge of hood or trunk where the cover may have scratched being ripped off from wind. As for wheels, have you ever applied a ceramic coating?

Mr blue
04-07-2016, 09:36 PM
I echo driving it around to get rid of rotor dust as well as washing it to see the shape the paint is in. You may need to polish around the edge of hood or trunk where the cover may have scratched being ripped off from wind. As for wheels, have you ever applied a ceramic coating?
Thanks for the input. No have not tried the ceramic coating yet. The wheels are brand new and not mounted yet. Is there a specific brand you recommend?

Mr blue
04-07-2016, 09:42 PM
Thanks I will try the drive. I am only asking about detail and protection as I have never just let any of my cars just sit outside for that long. Usually garage kept. Wondering if there might be contaminants and such that might affect the paint. I maybe just overthinking things and your right I may just need to give it a good wash and go from there. Thanks.

axel06
04-07-2016, 10:06 PM
check tires for dry rot