PDA

View Full Version : Paint protection for Road Trip

Pages : [1] 2

lonye
04-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Hi,

I'm having some holidays and a want to get my paint with a good protection. Its a two days road trip.
I was thinking of applying 2 coats of Black Fire Sealant and a layer of Wax. I was thinking of FK1000p or Collinite 915.

I think I wont be able to wash my car for almost 2 weeks. I'll use PB bug squash or a waterless wash to clean bugs in the middle of the trip (lets say first night).

Do you think this protection will be good enough? Any tip or advice?

Regards,
Martin

FocusSTguy
04-07-2016, 02:43 PM
There has been an ongoing debate here as to whether layering adds any additional protection the thought being the process of applying a second layer will potentially remove the first layer. I still like to top sealants with a coat of wax but don't think it is necessary. In reality one coat of any of those products should be sufficient for 2 week protection.

Cleaning the bugs of asap is a good idea and will help preserve the paint more than 3 layers of sealant/wax.

TTQ B4U
04-07-2016, 03:49 PM
I still like to top sealants with a coat of wax but don't think it is necessary. In reality one coat of any of those products should be sufficient for 2 week protection.

I agree. The debate will rage on. IMO the first sealant coat will suffice and a second really just insures even and complete coverage. Like focusSTguy, I typically put a wax over a sealant but maybe I'm just silly. To me it's relaxing and if the Collinite or Hybrid waxes I put over it are for nothing it at least gains me some relaxation. However I do think they add to the mix in protecting things.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
04-07-2016, 03:53 PM
Don't forget to wax the windshield, I always do that before a road trip, I'm obsessed with the beading and ease of clean.

I went to Florida do I even used ONR as windshield wiper fluid at quick detail ratio, so it don't strip my wax!

FUNX650
04-07-2016, 04:35 PM
•An application of the FK1000P Sealant
does the trick for me, for my road trips.

Note:
•Just to ensure total coverage has been
achieved for the more vulnerable areas
of the vehicle:
-I'll often give them a second application of
the FK1000P—that is, of course, after allowing
the initial FK1000P application to have ~12-24
hours of (moisture free) cure-time.

Bob

davidc
04-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Collinite 476S or 885 here, I also carry a QD mix of DG 932.

Dave

Klasse Act
04-07-2016, 05:21 PM
I'm a big fan of Collinite #915 as its a product I have and use with the products you mentioned. I would apply a coat and wait a day or two and wash the car and then apply a 2nd coat and you should be all set. It was mentioned about waxing the windshield, I couldn't agree more with that. Infact, everytime you wax, do all the glass, makes cleaning the glass soooo much easier and in most cases, at speed, no need to turn on the wipers.

I think you should add Collinite #476 to your collection because its the most durable of the Collinite products!

TTQ B4U
04-07-2016, 06:05 PM
I'm a big fan of Collinite #915 as its a product I have and use with the products you mentioned. I would apply a coat and wait a day or two and wash the car and then apply a 2nd coat and you should be all set. It was mentioned about waxing the windshield, I couldn't agree more with that. Infact, everytime you wax, do all the glass, makes cleaning the glass soooo much easier and in most cases, at speed, no need to turn on the wipers.

I think you should add Collinite #476 to your collection because its the most durable of the Collinite products!

I've never used "wax" on my windshield as I would see that as possibly causing issues as it wears. Collinite does not recommend their products be used on Glass, Rubber, Exterior Vinyl/Plastic trim. See their FAQ's (http://www.collinite.com/about-us/faqs/)

Klasse Act
04-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Not to go against a MFG but I've been doing this for years without a problem. Only product I don't use on glass is KSG because it's a pita to remove.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Ford Fest
04-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Every year we take a trip for a few days with the garage queen. To protect to nose I use a product called Road Warrior. It is a product that looks like watered down Elmers Glue. You roll on 3 coats letting it dry between coats. It dries clear like a film. When you get back from your trip, simply peel it off.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l565/quail33/image.jpg2_zpsvvssimca.jpg (http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/quail33/media/image.jpg2_zpsvvssimca.jpg.html)

lonye
04-08-2016, 03:06 PM
Thanks all for your reply! I really appreciate it.
I'll add two coats of wax (I think FK1000p) as you said a 2nd coat of Black Fire is not necessary.

Regarding windshield, I'll apply RainX which I think is a kind of glass sealant.
I use water + Duragloss Rain repel as windshield wiper fluid.

Is it possible to use Collinite 915 on glasses?

I think I'll be using Ultima or Pinnacle Waterless to remove Bugs, as I read that Poorboys Bug Squash can remove protection...

Billy Baldone
04-08-2016, 03:58 PM
Maybe put some BumperSkinz on temporarily

bald richard
04-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Road warrior film: seems to be exactly what I'm looking for!
Thank you!

goldenlight
04-08-2016, 07:35 PM
The waterless wash is a fantastic idea. make sure you get one with wax in it example "Meguairs Wash and Wax Anywhere" or something similar. Just bring plenty of microfibers with you

99C5Coupe
04-08-2016, 09:46 PM
I always take some antistatic sheets along, get one wet and use it to wipe the bugs off.