PDA

View Full Version : New Paint = new fun

Don M
04-07-2016, 12:01 AM
In the few times that I have polished/waxed the car this season, I've noticed that the polishes and waxes behave TOTALLY different on the hard BC/CC on the Camaro from what it did on the soft SS on the Suzuki. There was always an issue with the Suzuki as far as the surface being "grabby" no matter how many times I clayed it or polished it or waxed it (no matter the LSP) and durability was way off what others have gotten with similar products/procedures.

I really look forward to experimenting on this hard, but so far, more "user friendly" paint.

Eldorado2k
04-07-2016, 12:28 AM
You've polished your new hard paint with success? Which machine/pad/product are you working with?

Don M
04-07-2016, 12:55 AM
Not TOTAL success, but compared to what it was. it's 100% better, even though I couldn't compound it the way I wanted to (It was too cold & windy that day) it removed all the haze that seemed to be all over the car. Right now, depending on what area you're looking at, the paint is between about 70% and 95% corrected, but with the gloss I was able to bring up it LOOKS 95% corrected if you're 5-10 feet away. There are still a lot of scratches on the trunk lid and some on the upper half of the sides, but IMO it's coming along nicely despite only being rubbed once (and gently at that) since I didn't know if the paint was hard or soft.

I used my PC, with a Meguiars new (thin) flat cutting pad and Megs Ultimate Compound at a speed of 4.5 to 5. Now that I know it's harder paint, I can get a tad more aggressive.

Eldorado2k
04-07-2016, 01:03 AM
You've only rubbed it once and there's scratches on it? Wouldn't that indicate it's soft paint? Or were the scratches on there before?

The Guz
04-07-2016, 01:15 AM
It sounds like the 2010 Camaro I worked on which had very hard paint. Foam worked ok but I had to go with a microfiber cutting pad to get the paint to be at 95%.

Don M
04-07-2016, 02:44 AM
You've only rubbed it once and there's scratches on it? Wouldn't that indicate it's soft paint? Or were the scratches on there before?

They were there before I started rubbing the paint out, the trunk lid seems to be the worst.