PDA

View Full Version : What are some good paint coatings?

Pages : [1] 2

bryanviper
04-06-2016, 10:31 PM
Hello all,

So I plan to use cquartz UK on my paint once the weather gets better
as I have already put it on my rims and calipers which came out great.

However I was wondering what other good coatings
are there that will last 1-2years or longer just like CQ Uk? And easy to apply just like it and helps protect against minor scratches?

thanks

SYMAWD
04-06-2016, 10:41 PM
Hello all,

So I plan to use cquartz UK on my paint once the weather gets better
as I have already put it on my rims and calipers which came out great.

However I was wondering what other good coatings
are there that will last 1-2years or longer just like CQ Uk? And easy to apply just like it and helps protect against minor scratches?

thanks
I've only used Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating besides Cquartz, and I prefer the water behavior of Cquartz better. Wolfgang has an easier application process, but I dislike the syringe and found the Cquartz bottle easier to use.

Phaze Automotive
04-07-2016, 12:25 AM
There are many and it's really up to you to decide which suits you more. I've used CQuartz, Pinnacle Black Label, CG, etc. It's after going through the different brands that I was able to settle on one that suited my needs most.

lee250
04-07-2016, 01:06 AM
I too am looking for a coating. I was looking at the pinnacle black label. A question I had is what affects who long the coating lasts? Rain, sun, time?

Phaze Automotive
04-07-2016, 02:28 AM
The base you apply it to, IE prep work. Then proper application and finally maintenance of the coating.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
04-07-2016, 08:40 AM
I too am looking for a coating. I was looking at the pinnacle black label. A question I had is what affects who long the coating lasts? Rain, sun, time?

Prep work is key. Ensuring a squeaky clean surface is critical.

Maintenance is the second key factor that affects a coatings longevity.

OP, CQuartz Classic and Optimum Gloss Coat are absolutely the best OTC coatings available for ease of application and gloss. CQ UK would come in third for me as its a bit more finicky during warmer and humid weather.

Jaretr1
04-07-2016, 09:51 AM

I put Pinnacle Black Label on my dad's Accord over 6 months ago and the water beading is as strong as ever. It was also very easy to apply.

The Guz
04-07-2016, 10:47 AM
I put Pinnacle Black Label on my dad's Accord over 6 months ago and the water beading is as strong as ever. It was also very easy to apply.

I agree. I have it on my mom's car and it's doing very well for the 5 months it's been on the car.

Gloss Coat is another user friendly coating that is just as easy to use.

lee250
04-07-2016, 11:07 AM
So after washing and claying the car is the Polish that comes with the pinnacle set enough to get it clean enough? The video Mike does shows using that polish then applying the coating.

Phaze Automotive
04-07-2016, 05:18 PM
It should be, however I had an issue where even following those steps, my car want beading very well. Someone suggested that after using the PBL polish to follow up with a IPA wipedown to ensure a even cleaner surface for the coating to bond.

Klasse Act
04-07-2016, 05:25 PM
I've used the DG and DP paint coatings as well as Pinnacle Black Label and without a doubt the PBL has been the best IMO. Application of all 3 was very easy but the results of the PBL are heads and shoulders above the other 2. I know some others have had better luck with DGNCC and DP but I can only report what's worked best for me. That said, I plan on trying and using Wolfgang paint coating next solely based on my experience with their RW!

The Guz
04-07-2016, 05:36 PM
So after washing and claying the car is the Polish that comes with the pinnacle set enough to get it clean enough? The video Mike does shows using that polish then applying the coating.

Yes it will clean the surface and prep it for the coating. Someone recommended using a damp microfiber towel if the polish becomes a bit harder to remove.

Ford Fest
04-07-2016, 08:02 PM
Which is best to prevent scratches, while providing a good gloss? It seems the Ford factory paint is extremely soft and scratches easy. I use rinseless/waterless wash with high quality MF and still manage to get scratches. My paint also looks like it has a haze when the sun hits it when the car is in the garage. I don't have a wall separating my garage doors. The garage queen gets covered in dust every time I open my DD garage door. I used to throw the cover on the car, but I'm not sure it doesn't scratch the car.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l565/quail33/image.jpg4_zpshhspz27p.jpg (http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/quail33/media/image.jpg4_zpshhspz27p.jpg.html)

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l565/quail33/image.jpg1_zpsls4mzpwq.jpg (http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/quail33/media/image.jpg1_zpsls4mzpwq.jpg.html)

lee250
04-08-2016, 02:20 AM
Is IPA alcohol? Does the car soap used afterwards make a difference? I use megs gold class right now but I saw that pinnacle has there own black label car shampoo. Is there any advantage to using the pinnacle soap?

Desertnate
04-08-2016, 07:19 AM
No one seems to talk about the GTechniq coatings anymore. Are they simply older and therefore not as buzz-worthy or is there some other reason they fall behind the PBMG, Carpo, and Optimum offerings? I've not found any real bad reviews.