PDA

View Full Version : Counter weight/backing plate concern

Pages : [1] 2

uziel5000
04-06-2016, 02:46 PM
OK so the more I read, the more I want to get on these. One question though...

From what I've read, the PC comes with a counter weight for a 6 inch backing plate. This means I would have to buy a 6 inch backing plate plus 6.5 inch pads to use it out of the box. Right? I keep reading about people recommending 5 inch plates or even smaller but it's not clear or don't mention anything about buying another counter weight? Is this necessary I just want to make sure I get what I need. Thanks in advance.

PhxDarius
04-06-2016, 03:07 PM
You would just need to get 6.5" pads to use with the backing plate that it came with. People recommend switching to a 5" backing plate, and 5.5" pads to give you more power and get into tighter spots if i am not mistaken. I am not sure if that is the only reason though.

The Guz
04-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Similar topic in this thread.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/100275-harbor-freight-da-6-polisher.html

BillyJack
04-06-2016, 04:37 PM
I have a GG polisher and switch regularly from 3 inch to 4, 5, 6 inch pads and backing plate. I've never noticed a vibration issue caused bu not changing counterweights.

Bill

ski2
04-06-2016, 06:39 PM
The PC comes with a backing plate and a permanently mounted pad. So unless you buy a kit you must buy a backing plate to be able to change pads. If you do a search you'll see most recommend a 5" backing plate with 5.5" very thin pads like the Megs thin pads because the PC doesn't have the power/torque to handle 6.5" pads. 5.5" pads are easier to work with, more effective and cost less. No need to change or worry about the counter weight.

You might want to consider the Griots Garage polisher--it has much more power/torque than the PC and a lifetime warranty. Equipped with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads there isn't anything it can't handle.

Setec Astronomy
04-06-2016, 07:39 PM
The counterweight is meaningless for how we use the PC. When I started the PC would come with the 5" counterweight, and the places like Autogeek would sell the 6" counterweight so we could all change them. The counterweights are for using the machine as a sander, as has been stated it doesn't really make any difference for how we use the machine.

lane5515
04-06-2016, 07:43 PM
If it is useless, can the counter weight be removed when polishing with a 5" backing plate or smaller?

Setec Astronomy
04-06-2016, 08:17 PM
If it is useless, can the counter weight be removed when polishing with a 5" backing plate or smaller?

What I meant is the difference between the 5" & 6" counterweight is meaningless to our use. I wouldn't recommend removing it entirely, but go ahead and experiment and let us know.

dlc95
04-06-2016, 11:08 PM
I've not once had any difficulties spinning 6.5" pads on a PC. I even spun a 8" Megs W4000 wool pad on it. If you're stopping the pad you're putting too much pressure on it.

dlc95
04-06-2016, 11:12 PM
As far as the counter weight goes, I feel like the added weight of the 6" counter weight gives the pad some extra "swing". I tried running the machine without a weight installed at all, and that seemed to negatively impact pad rotation.

On the old school PC 7424 I like the 5" weight. On the XP I like the 6 - regardless of the pad size.

blkSRT
04-07-2016, 12:54 AM
There's a 10 gram difference between the two PC 7424 counterweights.

TTQ B4U
04-07-2016, 06:31 AM
I've not once had any difficulties spinning 6.5" pads on a PC. I even spun a 8" Megs W4000 wool pad on it. If you're stopping the pad you're putting too much pressure on it.

^^ This. We read a lot about it here in the forums but I've used a PC and Schurhold which are about the same in power and never had a problem. I use 6" pads on mine with no issues. I would love to upgrade to a Flex but this isn't a job for me just a hobby and one where I'll polish friends and neighbors vehicles throughout the year but with two people and two buffers time usually isn't a huge issue.

dlc95
04-07-2016, 07:21 AM
^^ This. We read a lot about it here in the forums but I've used a PC and Schurhold which are about the same in power and never had a problem. I use 6" pads on mine with no issues. I would love to upgrade to a Flex but this isn't a job for me just a hobby and one where I'll polish friends and neighbors vehicles throughout the year but with two people and two buffers time usually isn't a huge issue.

Well, I sold my Flex 3401, because I never used it. Every time, I was able to get more plate rotation with the PC than the 3401. I loved that thing too, but it was too much money to just be sitting around, or getting set aside in favor of the PC. Once I did a bucket truck with heavily oxidized fiberglass hood cover with the PC, I knew that was really the best fit for me.

I never have issues with pad stall. If it slows down, it's usually because I don't have the pad flat, or that I need to use a smaller pad to get into a mote complicated area.

Setec Astronomy
04-07-2016, 07:30 AM
Well, I sold my Flex 3401, because I never used it. Every time, I was able to get more plate rotation with the PC than the 3401.

How can you get less plate rotation with a forced-rotation machine?

BillE
04-07-2016, 07:43 AM
The counterweight is meaningless for how we use the PC. When I started the PC would come with the 5" counterweight, and the places like Autogeek would sell the 6" counterweight so we could all change them. The counterweights are for using the machine as a sander, as has been stated it doesn't really make any difference for how we use the machine.

Ding ding ding...We have a winner!

Seriously, changing the counter-weight for OUR application really doesn't do a thing.

Bill