PDA

View Full Version : New car, second detail question

yellowvert
10-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Hi All,

New to this forum but have been active on the "corvetteforum" for years. Looking forward to learning a lot and enjoying the process of keeping my cars beautiful. I have my first question. This is on a new, triple black `08 C6 convertible.

Upon receipt of the car 12 days ago, I did a good wash, then with my PC did a Mirror Glaze #7 followed with a #26 Carnuba wax using the PC - both with a basic foam pad. (I've got to learn this pad difference thing!)

After reading on this forum, I decided I'd rather go the sealant/wax route. I hit a couple of stores this morning and found DG 111. (Neither Carquest nor Napa carry 105). My intent is to do the sealant twice then coat with carnuba (#26). My questions are:

1) After a wash and blow dry, do I need to remove the polish and carnuba before applying the 111?

2) If I should, I have Dawn. Is that sufficient or should I use my 3M adhesive (and wax) remover to really take it off?

3) If I do remove all this, should I re-do the Mirror Glaze before doing the DG111?

4) If so, do I need to wait between Mirror Glaze and DG111?

5) I want to do two coats of the DG111 but I don't have time today to wait 12 hours. Should I just do 2 back to back or is it better to do one today, wash again on the weekend (not with Dawn) and reapply the second coat of DG111?

6) Do I need to wait between the second coat of DG111 and #26 Carnuba?

Lastly, do I apply the DG111 with the PC usingthe foam pad or just by hand? If I do use the PC, any advice on speed, amount of area at a time, how long to work an area, etc?

Thanks in advance! I'm ready to get at it so I hope to get some response soon!

Scott (Yellowvert)

scstryder
10-10-2007, 11:56 AM
I'll give it a shot.

1) After a wash and blow dry, do I need to remove the polish and carnuba before applying the 111?

Yes, a sealant will not sit well with carnauba underneath.

2) If I should, I have Dawn. Is that sufficient or should I use my 3M adhesive (and wax) remover to really take it off?

Dawn should be sufficient, but a polish would be good also.

3) If I do remove all this, should I re-do the Mirror Glaze before doing the DG111?

I'm not sure, but I believe you have to top #7 with a carnauba. If you want, a glaze under a sealant, try CG EZ Creme Glaze or Prima Amigo

4) If so, do I need to wait between Mirror Glaze and DG111?

You do not have to wait between a glaze and a LSP. But again, I'm not sure if #7 and DG111 are compatible.

5) I want to do two coats of the DG111 but I don't have time today to wait 12 hours. Should I just do 2 back to back or is it better to do one today, wash again on the weekend (not with Dawn) and reapply the second coat of DG111?

it's better to do one today, wash again on the weekend (not with Dawn) and reapply the second coat of DG111

6) Do I need to wait between the second coat of DG111 and #26 Carnuba?

Yes, 24 hours to be sure.

Lastly, do I apply the DG111 with the PC usingthe foam pad or just by hand? If I do use the PC, any advice on speed, amount of area at a time, how long to work an area, etc?

PC or by hand is fine. I usually apply my LSPs by PC at speed 2 with a black or red LC pad. I don't really work an area, I just go over the car with a thin coat. Applying a LSP is different from polishing.

Thejoyofdriving
10-10-2007, 02:41 PM
I would not use dawn, I have heard that it can damage rubber over time. "After a wash and blow dry, do I need to remove the polish and carnuba before applying the 111?" Also you are getting polishes and waxes confused. A true polish does not leave behind any sort of protection, so there is nothing to remove, the purpose of a polish is to remove paint imperfections via use of abrasives. Waxes/sealants are what give you the protection. But there are some companys that like to call their "waxes" polishes, which I look down on. However there are cleaner waxes or AIO that polish and protect.

Jimmie
10-10-2007, 05:05 PM
As a rule of thumb a sealant adheres best to clean paint. I wasn't sure about DG #111 so I looked it up on our AG store site. Here's what it said:

Duragloss Clear Coat Polish is completely nonabrasive. For the best results, prep your vehicle with a prewax cleaner, like Wolfgang Prewax Polish Enhancer. This gentle cleansing lotion will disguise the finest imperfections so your final coat of paint protection looks flawless.

Apply Duragloss Clear Coat Polish to the entire vehicle and then buff off using a soft Cobra Microfiber Towel. Reapply every 6 months for optimum protection.

If desired, apply a carnauba wax such as DP Max Wax as a topper. It will not disturb the Duragloss and it will further enhance the shine with genuine carnauba.
Your best bet might be:
Wash
Pre-wax Cleaner
DG#111
Carnauba wax
Forget the glaze even though it may be OK; it may not also.