PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Question - Best Way to Maintain Between Washes

blittl
04-05-2016, 02:14 PM
I've just started to learn more about detailing and I've spent a lot of time on here reading about products and processes. One thing that I've struggled with already is how to best maintain between washes. I have a truck that is virtually brand new so the paint was in good condition. I've used some of the Duragloss products. 901 to wash, sealed with 601/105 combo, and topped with Aquawax. I've been very happy with them so far.

I'm in a situation where the truck cannot be garaged, so it seems to pick up dust, pollen, etc very quickly. I want to know what product would be best as a way to clean it up quickly with a microfiber and avoid any potential marring/scratching. Best product? Best process?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or recommendations anyone can provide.

ronkh57
04-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Pollen is very abrasive. So in my opinion, drive it, enjoy it till you can wash it. Repeat as desired..........

Setec Astronomy
04-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Are you doing conventional wash (hose, bucket, etc.)? Have you tried rinseless? Your situation kind of begs for a waterless wash, but I find it doesn't take much longer to do rinseless (with the perception of being safer) particularly if it's not that dirty.

blittl
04-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Are you doing conventional wash (hose, bucket, etc.)? Have you tried rinseless? Your situation kind of begs for a waterless wash, but I find it doesn't take much longer to do rinseless (with the perception of being safer) particularly if it's not that dirty.

Well, I am using the two bucket wash method and hose. Then dry with microfiber. I have not tried any waterless/rinseless to this point. And I guess I should clarify it's not really large particles of pollen. I assume there may be some pollen/grass particles, but it is essentially in the form of a very light layer of dust.

Setec Astronomy
04-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Yeah, so in the old days people might use a Quick Detailer to remove "light dust and fingerprints". Not only would many of us consider that not safe to do on a "dirty" car, the idea of a QD for that purpose has kind of been supplanted by the growth of waterless washes. I personally dislike waterless washes because I'm afraid I'm going to mar my paint if I use too little solution and too few towels, and that it's a huge mess that uses tons of product and towels if I use a lot of solution.

A rinseless wash can be fast and easy, particularly if the car isn't very dirty and you are using a single bucket or the multiple-towel method. I'd recommend Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Wax (because I keep telling myself the media staining is due to the zwitterionic polymers and that makes it better than RW's that don't stain), or the Wolfgang Uber Rinseless.

pheerix
04-05-2016, 02:35 PM
Duragloss Aquawax Waterless wash sounds like a good product for you.

http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-waterless-wash-refill.html

Setec Astronomy
04-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Duragloss Aquawax Waterless wash sounds like a good product for you.

Ha ha, forgot all about that product.

blittl
04-05-2016, 02:42 PM
OK, interesting. I didn't even know that product existed. So that may solve the issue and allow for a quick spray and wipe without scratching. Although I do like the idea of the rinseless and I think I'll try the Optimum product.

pheerix
04-05-2016, 02:59 PM
Duragloss has a Rinseless wash too

Desertnate
04-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Pollen is very abrasive. So in my opinion, drive it, enjoy it till you can wash it. Repeat as desired..........

Agree. I don't know what color of vehicle we're talking about, but on my black car I don't even think about doing anything between bucket washes. While painful to see, with all the rain and heavy pollen this time of year I just accept my car being a little dirty until I'm able (or the weather cooperates) to do a proper bucket wash.

AZpolisher15
04-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Ha ha, forgot all about that product.

The DG waterless wash and wax isn't bad. But I like the Meguiars version better, as it seems like it has better lubricity. I have and use both, but find myself reaching for the Megs more often.

There is something to be said for sticking with the same brand, but I'm using DG 111/105/601 (tel:111/105/601), Aquawax once a month (or after washes), and the Megs ultimate wash and wax in between washes for light clean up. Works very well. Both the Ultimate and the DG wash and wax have comparable shine. I think either product would be perfect for what you're aiming for. Just don't be afraid to use plenty of product.