PDA

View Full Version : Respirators when detailing

Pages : [1] 2

rjk512
04-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Just curious, what does everyone use in terms of respirators, gloves and other PPE when detailing?I do detailing (mainly marine) on the side and noticed a some pretty harsh ingredients in the compound I was using, so I'm looking into what I can do to protect myself from it. I was wondering what the norm is. I never would have thought a respirator was necessary for detailing, but it really makes a lot of sense.As of now, we use disposable gloves and glasses, but I think that respirators are a necessity, especially when cutting and creating a lot of dust and what not. I'm looking at a few 3M ones, does anyone have suggestions as far as both the respirators and the filters go?

hkirch74
04-03-2016, 11:10 AM
It is a good idea to use a respirator. I was using the 3M Perfect it polishes on a vehicle and inhaled the dust created by these 2 products and it made me very ILL, Like a bad cold and I was down for 2 days as I was told my lungs had been inflamed with this dust and I should have worn a respirator but for some reason I just didn't that day.

Yes protection is a must these days with the chemicals were all using.

Rsurfer
04-03-2016, 02:43 PM
Aluminum Oxide in your lungs will kill you.

Lt1xL82
04-03-2016, 03:11 PM
What type of respirator would be considered appropriate? Are there any that are are small, comfortable and light weight that would do a good job?

GSKR
04-03-2016, 03:51 PM
I haven't used a respirator in the last 23 years of detailing .Its just one of those things I can't do,it's like wearing heavey steel toe boots everyday not comfortable.How ever I do wear gloves for interior cleaning especially the steering wheel.

asianstyles
09-07-2016, 02:29 PM
Apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but didn't want to create a completely new thread.

I am looking to play it safe when using various auto detailing chemicals. Do you guys know if this respirator will offer decent protection?

3M? Chemical Odor Valved Respirator (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Safety-NA/Safety/Product-Catalog/~/3M-Chemical-Odor-Valved-Respirator?N=5927440+3294427695+3294529207&rt=rud)

aztec1987
09-07-2016, 03:43 PM
I do not use respirator just feel like I am shorter on breath when I wear one and humid. I use black gloves for detailing the exterior in order to avoid putting oil in the paint and leave finger prints on the paint job.

choijw2
09-07-2016, 03:57 PM
I say it doesn't hurt to wear one especially if you work in not so well ventilated area.

I bought myself 3M respirator for painter (not sure if this is appropriate for detailers) and try to wear it every time I use harsh chemicals such as Iron X,
spray type coating like McKee's and etc.

aztec1987
09-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Yeah Iron-X is pretty strong when they said Cherry scent and took a wiff of it, man I regret and scorn myself for that stupid move. Top it off it is nowhere near Cherry scent.

choijw2
09-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Yeah Iron-X is pretty strong when they said Cherry scent and took a wiff of it, man I regret and scorn myself for that stupid move. Top it off it is nowhere near Cherry scent.

Now I use "lemon" scent xD

its better than cherry for sure tho, but I hear McKees don't have much smell ;)

silverfox
09-07-2016, 05:30 PM
If it touches your skin or is inhaled, its in your body. Chemicals are nothing to take for granted.

Whitewater25
09-07-2016, 08:36 PM
3M 8210 is a inexpensive paper type throw away mask that would be a good place to start. It should keep most of that crap out.

PaulMys
09-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but didn't want to create a completely new thread.

I am looking to play it safe when using various auto detailing chemicals. Do you guys know if this respirator will offer decent protection?

###3M? Chemical Odor Valved Respirator (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Safety-NA/Safety/Product-Catalog/~/3M-Chemical-Odor-Valved-Respirator?N=5927440+3294427695+3294529207&rt=rud)

Those are good masks. Makes it easier for me to punch a hole for my cigarette. Lmao

But seriously, 3M masks are great. Been using them for over 15 years. Also, they have a charcoal version which, while more expensive, is more vapor prohibitive.

Mantilgh
09-07-2016, 09:04 PM
I couldn't do a respirator in the heat unless I absolutely had to.

How do guys deal with glove sweat when it's hot out?

When it's hot out and cleaning any non horizontal surface, sweat just runs out of my gloves.

Wrist sweat bands?

PaulMys
09-07-2016, 09:19 PM
I couldn't do a respirator in the heat unless I absolutely had to.

How do guys deal with glove sweat when it's hot out?

When it's hot out and cleaning any non horizontal surface, sweat just runs out of my gloves.

Wrist sweat bands?

Personally, I don't use anything when detailing my truck. I use some wicked chemicals in the boating industry which require full protection of body, eyes, and lungs.

IMO? The things we use to clean our vehicles with do not bother me in the least. Sure, don't drink or snort it, and be careful not to dip your entire hand in the product, but if I have to tell you that, go get a helmet and ride the short bus to retardville.

I'm careful, and wash my hands after using care care products. That's it. JMO