PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

DjbuddyPL
04-01-2016, 11:25 PM
First I do not want to invest in a buffer do to budget. I would like to use what I have or buy few things locally!?! I have a 04 dark blue bmw. It probably hasn't be washed or anything close to a year. I had it for 6 months n the mechanic had it all this time fixing it. Anyways just got it this week. I did all the interior and it came out good from how bad it was. Today I took it to a local wash and used the pressure washer and some scrubbing mitt. While touching the paint it feels like sand paper in some spots and has lot of what looks like water makes or stains that are seen only at certain Engles. I do have a cheaper craftsman buffer with a polish bonnet. I plan on using meguiars color x and then wax! Would that be enough to do a ok job? I'm not expert but I do like a shiny car!! And yes the car will be rewashed before I do all that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FOCUS.FREAK
04-01-2016, 11:33 PM
The process goes as:

Wash
Clay
Compound or polish
Seal

The clay will get rid of that sandpaper feeling.

That craftsman buffer I don't think is going to do you any good. Is it one of those 10" models? Auto geek has the porter cable buffer kits on sale.

DjbuddyPL
04-01-2016, 11:50 PM
Yea It's the 10 inch one

DjbuddyPL
04-01-2016, 11:54 PM
Would Maguiars color x be considered polish?

Eldorado2k
04-02-2016, 12:02 AM
Would Maguiars color x be considered polish?

It's a cleaner wax. Meaning it's a paint cleaner, polish, and wax all in 1. So yes, it's considered a polish.

AZpolisher15
04-02-2016, 12:07 AM
Based on your stated desires, I might recommend picking up a meguiars Clay kit and some Duragloss 105 and 601 bonding agent. All inexpensive products and it'll clean up your BMW nicely. Duragloss has a really nice shine. Mix 4 parts 105 + 1 part 601 and apply/remove like a wax. And use Duragloss Aquawax once a month to maintain the shine. It'll give you some months of protection and can all be had for under $50. Sound like a plan?

Hard to say for certain, but it might require machine polishing to get rid of the spots/stains.

Eldorado2k
04-02-2016, 12:11 AM
@DjbuddyPL. Where are you located?

DjbuddyPL
04-02-2016, 08:52 AM
I'm located in pa. Where can I get those products locally?

Ebg18t
04-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Clay it to remove the sandpaper feel (contaminants)
Apply some 3M or GG glaze to fill/hide the swirls
Apply what ever sealant You can find.

Autozone or Advanced used to sell Griots Garage Products. Their glaze is easy to use. You might find the Griots Garage sealant there too.