PDA

View Full Version : How to Remove Oil Stain From Fabric Convertible Top?

FrankS
04-01-2016, 11:04 PM
I have a client who has an oil stain on his canvas/fabric convertible top on his 2004 Porsche 911.

I forgot to take pictures. The top is dark blue and the oil stain is about 2" in diameter in the center of the top and there's a line where the oil ran down to the back window.

He thinks that it was caused from the car above leaking oil or transmission fluid when it was transported.

He said he's tried different things but to no avail.

I was thinking about using steam but that may discolor the top.

Anyone run into the same situation or any suggestions?

TuxedoTaurus
04-01-2016, 11:23 PM
I would try a degreasing product, maybe with some citrus in it. Then apply some talc to absorb it. Brush the talc off and wash top, let dry then protect it.

If it is "fresh" just talc it to absorb the oil

Eldorado2k
04-02-2016, 12:19 AM
Do you have any Ragtop or Meguiars Convertable Top Cleaner? Both claim to remove oil stains from fabric tops.. Griots Garage just released a convertible top cleaner as well.
I'd love to get an update to this post.

Also, if I was the owner of that car, I'd be p****d

GSKR
04-02-2016, 07:47 AM
Frank,besides the tide pen what about extracting with machine.or soak it in apc and dab it with a micro through out the time you are there.sounds aggressive but a air compressor with apc may work.The key is not to distort the fabric buy rubbing hard and applying many chemicals to the same spot.with a compressed air like a duster can for computers,use the tide pen a blow downward into top,because if you try to air it out side ways you will only spread the promblem.make sure the owner hasn't ruined it already.The owner should have called the transport company.just try your best but don't commit saying you will be able to remove it.

GSKR
04-02-2016, 08:06 AM
My daughter sat on a brandnew light tan microfiber chair with neospourin my wife applied to her leg.Its oil based and I tried everything,while at publix I bought the tide pen on impulse.after 3 applications I was able to remove it like 95 percent.and we all know wetting microfiber leaves rings around the stain.The tide pen is suppose to use it immediate after a spill,but this stain remained as it just happened two days later because of the oil in it.gotta say don't underestimate that little pen.

GSKR
04-02-2016, 08:10 AM
Trying to help you out as much as I can,go to Home Depot in the carpet section,they have a product called capture,it's a stain removal of all sorts and works great good luck and take some pics when you are done.