PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber problems?

nrengle
10-09-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm doing some work for my buddy on his carbon fiber hood since he's not really got much experience with detailing, or even well likes to do it, or any kind of body work. Anyways, it's got a few problems. Swirl marks galore, with a normal clearcoat and paint I'd just use a LC Orange pad and some polish, etc. But with carbon fiber I'm not sure if it would be ok. Not sure if it's a gel coat or not. All I know about it is, it's a VIS hood for a 2000 Honda Prelude.

Second it's got a white spot, that actually seems to be oily. Everytime he does anything to it, it has this oily film he said. Only thing he's done is washed, clayed (Mothers Clay bar), and some cleaner wax. If it's oily, to me I'd hit it with a diluted mix of vinegar and water. 25/75 mix before I move on to something stronger.

Any suggestions guys?

budman3
10-09-2007, 10:18 PM
The carbon fiber is clear coated, so essentially it is clear paint. Paint is paint, no matter the surface. It may burn easier if you are using a rotary but other than that just treat it as any other clear coated surface. I'm not sure about the oily spot, but it sounds like you have the idea. If that doesn't work a bug and tar remover may, as would a degreaser. Just be sure to wipe off any excess product to prevent any paint damage (not likely).

THENIZZZEIL
10-09-2007, 11:05 PM
i just did a BMW ///M6 with a carbon fiber roof and was finikey with the situation as well..i guess some say it has polyurethane coat or some type of gel coat different from a typical clear coat..and also heard that something about too much heat turning it yellow. I figure if its an /m6 then its got some good stufff...so it also depends on what kinda CF ur workin with

i approacted it with a white pad and 106ff with no problems...but all the time being really carefull

bambo2888
10-10-2007, 06:45 AM
yea, with many of the factory CF pieces, they are clearcoated with a typical clearcoat. with many aftermarket bare cf pieces and also pieces purchased and sprayed seperated are generally polyurethane coated. this is just a general rule of thumb.

i guess this has to do with the coarseness of the cf and clearing it evenly.

nrengle
10-10-2007, 05:56 PM
It's a aftermarket Vis Hood. I checked their site, and they say all their hoods are clear coated. I think when I get a chance to work on it, I'm going to hit it with a white pad or maybe a green LC pad first, and see if that gets the swirls.

Thanks for the tips guys.

ScottB
10-10-2007, 06:46 PM
if it was perfect and new I would probably use Plexus or DP Plex-All on it religiously. I would discuss with manufacturer what type of polishing they suggest. Might offer something less abrasive like a plastic polish with fine abrasives that break down quickly.