PDA

View Full Version : How to properly wash microfibers?

Dbits
03-31-2016, 03:19 PM
Chemical guys microfiber wash?
the method I use is let them soak in hot water with dish soap for about 30mins then throw in the washer and wash twice with regular laundry detergent. I dry on medium heat for 40mins. I have noticed the towels have lost some of the softness.

The Guz
03-31-2016, 03:29 PM
Get yourself some of this

3D Towel Kleen (http://www.autogeek.net/3d-towel-kleen.html)

FOCUS.FREAK
03-31-2016, 03:32 PM
What i have done is:

Wash with cold water using microfiber detergent. I use 3D Towel Clean.
Dry on low heat, i generally set it for 30 minutes and check to see if they are dry periodically.

I believe the high the heat level it work ruin the microfiber towels really quick. loosing their softness.

Jordan

Mike Phillips
03-31-2016, 04:08 PM
I have 4 pages on microfiber towels in my boat detailing book.

Didn't really want to write the section but it all started with writing the chapter on how to machine polish Eisenglass windows to remove scratches. This led to writing how to avoid putting scratches in Eisenglass windows to start with and this mean writing a chapter on microfiber towels.

Here's the nutshell version.

Have dedicated laundry hampers that will keep towels from becoming contaminated and from ending up on the floor.

Use a dedicated microfiber detergent and measure recommended amount for proper load size.

Separate and wash towels by color and product used if possible to avoid cross-contaminating towels used with water soluble products and towels used with water insoluble products.

Wash small amount of towels at a time, don't overload washing machine. You need and want LOTS of room in the wash basin for swishing to take place and for water to hold the gunk coming out of the towels.

Dry as normal.

Store in clean place.

:)

goldenlight
04-03-2016, 04:19 PM
If you have a front loader machine make sure you get HIgh efficency detergent, otherwise you will have a crap load of sods..

Zalmon
04-05-2016, 09:48 PM
I recently bought a bunch of microfiber towels so I put them all in the washer to clean. Several of the towels were black and to my surprise they faded and Discolored other towels

Zalmon
04-05-2016, 09:49 PM
Bottom line he careful when washing towels

custmsprty
04-05-2016, 10:04 PM
This is how I store my mf towels regardless of color or mfg.46865

1EdgeKilla
04-05-2016, 11:01 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/76621-microfiber-care-guide-liquid-finish-how-clean-your-car-microfibers.html

^^To save myself from typing endlessly on my phone, I did a quick search and found the above post covers just about everything you need to know on the CORRECT way to care for microfiber

zx10r Elle
04-06-2016, 07:11 AM
Mr Dbits,

My microfiber wash routine isn't anything special and the towels I use are still going strong after 17 months. They all go in a front load washer with the appropriate amount of micro-restore with cold water, a little vinegar for the rinse cycle with cold water, laid out under ceiling fans and within 2 hours bone dry, layered one atop another, loosely rolled up and stored in clear storage bins.

Wash loads aren't big so as to allow room for the fibers to fluff out and any debris/contaminants to agitate out and rinse away. My method differs from most here but I have not observed any decrease in softness.

Steve