PDA

View Full Version : Touch-up and Correct/Polish vs. re-paint? Help needed!

MFT
03-31-2016, 09:24 AM
I had my 2012 GTI in for service at my local VW dealer and somebody at the dealership (they don't know who) put a good chip in the paint on passenger's side door while it was in the shop or out on the lot. Whoever it was then tried to clumsily touch it up. Below is a picture of the chip - it's about the size of a dime.

The dealership has offered to have the whole door re-sprayed. I just bought the car, but from what I can tell, all of the paint is original, and I am a bit hesitant to repaint the panel because in my experience it is hard to make it match, particularly with darker colors. Besides the color itself (Deep Black Pearl Metallic), the difference in the amount of orange peel in the finish will almost certainly be impossible to match (not that you want to create it, but the OEM paint is not free of orange peel).

Any thoughts on trying to just touch it up and polish out the defect as best as possible vs. re-spraying?

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/oido1q7wbjj6id3/Paint%20chip2.jpg?dl=0

expdetailing
03-31-2016, 09:41 AM
I vote for a respray. It looks too large, and too out-in-the-open. Boy, it could not have happened in a worse spot.

LSNAutoDetailing
03-31-2016, 10:03 AM
IMHO, It's sad what happened to your (new car to you). If it were me I would want it repaired, under the guidance that you won't accept anything less than near perfection to factory appearance, even if that means taking it to a higher level body shop than what they can provide. I had a dealership do that for me.... They outsourced the work to a custom shop and fully paid for it.

I have to say I've seen some paint jobs out of body shops recently where I was not only impressed, but stunned at the quality of work. I honestly, (unless using my Defelsko Meter) wouldn't have been able to tell with my eyes. Particularly kudo's to my local Chevrolet Dealer. The body manager prides himself in very high quality work.
There are some other forum members here with a bodyshop/painting background, so it would be nice to hear what they have to say. If it were my DD I would get it repaired. You don't want bubbling and rust getting in....

The only suggestion I would make is DO NOT let them wash the car when it's complete. Do all the detailing yourself. And when complete remember to not use a wax or sealant for the recommended cure time (find out from the body shop). You can use:
Meguiars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze is the only body-shop safe glaze formulated with real wax protection. This means your freshly painted car will not only leave the body shop looking great, but it will be protected as well!

See Mike Phillips post: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/96893-when-can-i-apply-sealant-over-new-paint.html#post1318552

and

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/96893-when-can-i-apply-sealant-over-new-paint.html#post1318553

MFT
03-31-2016, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the advice all. I guess a re-spray does make the most sense with a chip that large - I'll just have to make sure it is done by a reputable shop that has an eye for quality.