PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Tire Dressing??

GrantLagasse
03-31-2016, 07:56 AM
Hello everyone. New here. I purchased a Black 2007 new body style Chevy Silverado a few months back and have been having some trouble cleaning the tires. Every since the first time I washed the truck, the tires won't come out as clean as they should (still some caked brake dust it seems). I've used undiluted purple power and recently tried shine supply wise guy tire cleaner (also undiluted). I can see some contaminates come off but whatever I put on the tire it just runs off like water. I've scrubbed and scrubbed with two different types of tire brushes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Paul A.
03-31-2016, 08:10 AM
First of all, welcome to AGO, Grant!

I have had some really bad tires at times and will go 3-4 rounds of a strong cleaner to really get them clean. I haven't used the Shine Supply product but after looking it up it looks effective. I am assuming you have cleaned them multiple times in one session but if not keep pressing on. I have never been unable to get a tire sidewall cleaned to a clear soapy condition after about the 3-4th time. I also spritz my tire cleaner on the face of my scrub brush in addition to spraying it directly on the tire before scrubbing. That may keep some of the cleaner working if, as you say, it keeps running off the tire. I also work from bottom up when scrubbing to get some of the runoff cleaner working.

Yes, i hear you loud and clear. It is frustrating to get really filthy tires clean but i just perservere and keep at it. Keep pluggin' my friend.

parttimer
03-31-2016, 08:45 AM
My go to tire cleaners are ZEP 505 and Tuff-Shine tire cleaner, another great cleaner is the one in the Turtle Wax tire coat kit. Those mixed with a tuff-shine tire brush work magic. Depending on the dealer "detailer" they may have used a silicone based dressing which means you will be scrubbing for a LONG time.

GrantLagasse
03-31-2016, 08:55 AM
I'll have to try applying the cleaner to the brush. Didn't even think of that. Thanks!

Audios S6
03-31-2016, 09:07 AM
If it was dealer applied solvent dressing, then a solvent works best to remove it.

expdetailing
03-31-2016, 09:55 AM
If its been coated, which it sounds like it may have been, then a brass wheel brush might be in order.

MikeC78
03-31-2016, 10:19 AM
Have you guys ever tried to remove Meg's tire coating? This stuff looks good, but heaven forbid if you get that stuff on your wheels. Almost have to tape off the rim and body before use.

Meguiars Ultimate Black Tire Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-tire-coating.html)

LSNAutoDetailing
03-31-2016, 10:46 AM
You can try Stoners Tarminator followed with Black Fire All In One Tire & Trim cleaner protectant, then dressing.

Jaretr1
03-31-2016, 12:41 PM
Do you have a DA polisher? There are brushes you can put on the polisher and let teh tool do the work for you. I did that to clean some very stubborn tires and it made it SO MUCH easier, although a little messy. It took me until the 4th tire to figure out how to do it without making a ton of spray, but even then cleaning the spray residue was easier than hand scrubbing the tires.

GrantLagasse
04-19-2016, 08:55 PM
Finally got around to washing my truck again. Tried spraying tire cleaner directly on brush and didn't seem to make much of a difference.

GSKR
04-19-2016, 09:29 PM
Hello everyone. New here. I purchased a Black 2007 new body style Chevy Silverado a few months back and have been having some trouble cleaning the tires. Every since the first time I washed the truck, the tires won't come out as clean as they should (still some caked brake dust it seems). I've used undiluted purple power and recently tried shine supply wise guy tire cleaner (also undiluted). I can see some contaminates come off but whatever I put on the tire it just runs off like water. I've scrubbed and scrubbed with two different types of tire brushes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!If you are a Home Depot shopper,get the Zep masonry degreaser its purple.use it full strength or megs apc.If the Zep masonry apc won't clean the tires then you got a promblem.Dont spray on the rim it's very caustic just on the tire.

GSKR
04-19-2016, 09:37 PM
If you are a Home Depot shopper,get the Zep masonry degreaser its purple.use it full strength or megs apc.If the Zep masonry apc won't clean the tires then you got a promblem.Dont spray on the rim it's very caustic just on the tire.
Scratch the masonry,and get the purple industrial cleaner apc.

dk2011gbgt
04-19-2016, 10:37 PM
You can try Stoners Tarminator followed with Black Fire All In One Tire & Trim cleaner protectant, then dressing.

I tried Tarminator on my tires this weekend and it made them look new. Removed all brown spots and any old dressing. Great tip!

Robsresto
04-19-2016, 10:40 PM
Hello everyone. New here. I purchased a Black 2007 new body style Chevy Silverado a few months back and have been having some trouble cleaning the tires. Every since the first time I washed the truck, the tires won't come out as clean as they should (still some caked brake dust it seems). I've used undiluted purple power and recently tried shine supply wise guy tire cleaner (also undiluted). I can see some contaminates come off but whatever I put on the tire it just runs off like water. I've scrubbed and scrubbed with two different types of tire brushes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do not use purple cleaner on tires. First wet the tire with water then clean the wheel with purple power(acidic) cleaner. Then you need mean GREEN cleaner (alkili) on the tire. I recommend put 50/50 water green mix in a bucket and use a soft bristle brush and go over it a few times n u should see the brown running off. Poor water quality ,like well water, can react n have a major impact, however. Use softened water if possible. I highly recommend a product called body wash by Moore oil that is very strong but not damaging. Use lacquer thinner on a rag as a last resort.

PA DETAILER
04-20-2016, 07:22 AM
Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew, tire cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-back-to-black-tire-renew.html)