PDA

View Full Version : Messed up my chrome intake.

jforget1
06-24-2006, 07:33 AM
Was cleaning the truck the other day and in cleaning the engine I was using Greased Lightning degreaser. I was not thinking too much and sprayed it on my chrome Fujita F5 short ram air intake. When I went to wipe it off there were a bunch of spots. I then realized that I probably just messed up and I read the label and it did not refernce chrome, but it did say do not use on aluminum. I learned my lesson that as I start doing this more I need to always check the label.

Anybody have any ideas how I can clean this up, I tried Mother's chrome polish and Mother's powerball, but it did not seem to help. If I cannot clean it, does anyone have an idea how much it would cost to re-chrome the piece.

Joe

ScottB
06-24-2006, 09:40 AM
you will likely be able to lessen the look with a polishing head (can be used with drills and some made for dremels) and a good chrome polish. I would suspect your intake is not actually chrome however, as much stronger to chemicals than aluminum, it might actually be highed polished aluminum uncoated, and that reacts very badly with some chemicals. I would check with the manufacturer .... as they look very similar when polished to a brite surface.

jforget1
06-24-2006, 01:01 PM
you will likely be able to lessen the look with a polishing head (can be used with drills and some made for dremels) and a good chrome polish. I would suspect your intake is not actually chrome however, as much stronger to chemicals than aluminum, it might actually be highed polished aluminum uncoated, and that reacts very badly with some chemicals. I would check with the manufacturer .... as they look very similar when polished to a brite surface.

Thanks for the tips. I will check what the material is.