PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning interior help?

DjbuddyPL
03-30-2016, 11:08 PM
Well just picked up my neglected bmw with beige interior. It's 12 years old n someone never cleaned it. I order view things online to clean it but i won't arrive till next mid week. So I got something local. I picked up scrubbing bubbles and la total awesome. Those two cleaned the leather pretty good do to how bad it was. Now on the steering wheel next to radio controls there is a lot of build up from sweat and oil and I can't get it up without scrubbing it with my nails. How can I easily get that off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
03-30-2016, 11:17 PM
You won't. The best thing to do for those small intricate areas is spraying an all purpose cleaner onto a detailing brush and following it up with a microfiber towel or compressed air.

Scrubbing Bubbles eh? I've had similar luck on 16yr old neglected leather using Soft Scrub bathroom cleaner. Stuff worked pretty amazing. Lol.

rbss
03-30-2016, 11:18 PM
I never used either of the product you have but if it was me I would use the La totally awesome and a small brush(maybe tooth brush) to agitate then wipe clean with a white Terry cloth. The Terry cloth hopefully will have more bite then a microfiber. If its nasty like you said it may take a couple of rounds to get it clean.
Order you some Ultima Interior shampoo (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-shampoo.html)you will thank me later.

Mantilgh
03-30-2016, 11:18 PM
Use your Totally Awesome and a nail brush or a detail brush. Drape a towel over the speedo cluster to prevent spatter and over spray from getting on the clear cluster plastic

I would wipe down with a clean damp towel and a dry towel after to remove any leftover cleaner. Then protect it.

rbss
03-30-2016, 11:20 PM
Use your Totally Awesome and a nail brush or a detail brush. Drape a towel over the speedo cluster to prevent spatter and over spray from getting on the clear cluster plastic

Yes do this :dblthumb2:

Eldorado2k
03-30-2016, 11:23 PM
Spray it into the brush and you won't have to worry about overspray.😉
And make sure to continuously wipe the gunk off the brush as you go along. If it's as dirty as it sounds, you'll be pleased at how dirty that towel will be in a short time.

DjbuddyPL
03-30-2016, 11:39 PM
I used tooth brush with la and not much better. Maybe I didn't do it long enough. I'm using 10/1 for la for the entire interior? Is that too weak? Ps I used too brush to scrub the leather too. Lol need a good bigger brush!!

DjbuddyPL
03-30-2016, 11:47 PM
Also i used scrubbing bubbles on the steering wheel itself and lots dirt came off? But it was getting late so I quit for today. Is it ok to continue more of it Tommorow or is it too strong for that?

Eldorado2k
03-31-2016, 12:07 AM
If it's working, I'd say go for it. What color is the interior? If it's black use extra caution because there's a fine line between cleaning dirt and removing the color from the seats.. If it's light colored interior/steering wheel then it's a bit easier to tell what you're doing. But you do want to take extra caution around the steering wheel and also the center console, because those tend to be the most worn areas and because of that they can be a bit more sensitive to hard cleaning.

Even if the toothbrush didn't work I wouldn't be discouraged. Personally, I think a toothbrush would suck at cleaning compared to a detailing brush. I've been able to transform all the small intricate areas such as the power window buttons, shifter, turn signal, radio buttons on steering wheel, dashboard control buttons, ashtrays, vents, seatbelt latches, window sills, etc. inside my 20 yr. old Cadillac from looking like they've never been cleaned to 100% detailed using that detail brush and Megs D101 APC @10:1.

Mantilgh
03-31-2016, 09:26 PM
I would stick to the Totally Awesome and increase the dilution ratio closer to, if not, 4:1. I also believe that is safer than the other product, even at that ratio.

TuxedoTaurus
03-31-2016, 09:38 PM
A steam cleaner and APC will work wonders.

litespeed77
04-01-2016, 08:40 PM
I'd go up to 1:2 on the LA Totally Awesome without worries. I've done it on more than a few cars (I own a used car lot). The guy that showed me probably used it on a few thousand without worries. Best of luck.

Eldorado2k
04-01-2016, 10:45 PM
I'd go up to 1:2 on the LA Totally Awesome without worries. I've done it on more than a few cars (I own a used car lot). The guy that showed me probably used it on a few thousand without worries. Best of luck.

2 parts water 1 part concentrate eh? Thx, I'll mix up a batch at that and keep it handy in case I ever need something a bit stronger than the usual stuff.