PDA

View Full Version : Destroyed side of car against wall --- help with getting quotes

xilex
03-30-2016, 06:39 PM
This morning, I made too sharp a turn out of the garage and sheared the side of the car against the edge of a brick wall. Images below. It's definitely through the paint.

car injury - Album on Imgur (http://imgur.com/a/769kT)

This is a Sonata 2011 base model. I had one quote for $1000. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Mike Honcho
03-30-2016, 06:43 PM
That's about right. You paying cash? Some places will give cash discounts.

xilex
03-30-2016, 06:45 PM
That's about right. You paying cash? Some places will give cash discounts.

I am paying out of pocket. I'm not sure about cash discount. I will inquire. They gave a discount, which was 25% of the final quote, so it brought it down to 1000 right now.

briarpatch
03-30-2016, 06:47 PM
So...I'm guessing the Sonata is a 4-door model only....so let me take a shot at it.....repair + refinish front door, 'skin' the back door + refinish, replace the plastic trim covering the rocker + refinish.....at todays labor rates.....1K does not sound that far off

Mike Honcho
03-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Know any dealership mechanics? If so, they would know if any body shop guys work on the side.

UnsatisfactoryResult
03-30-2016, 07:53 PM
Hmm, looks like my reply fell into a black hole?

Looks like the bulk of the damage is the right rear door. So this is what I would personally do if it was my car.

The front door looks like it could be brought to satisfactory condition with some touch up paint.

The rear door I would find a color matched good condition used one. I did a quick search with my favorite junkyard search engine, and it looks like decent condition used ones start out around $200. It seems like you picked a popular color too, so you may luck out and have a matching one in your area.

If that rocker piece is just a cover for the actual rocker, then I would also look for a good condition used one.

This would keep oem paint, and remove the need for bodywork/respraying.

xilex
03-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Unfortunately I do not personally know any mechanics. I live in the Los Angeles/Orange County area, if anyone offers.

I did a quick search for used parts, starting at $300 and up. Not sure how I would be able to transport it or remove the door though...

jsgntulok
03-30-2016, 10:33 PM
What about insurance? What is your deductible? I believe this would be a comprehensive claim. Otherwise, if you are going to pay the cost yourself, $1000.00 seems about right for the scope of repair needed. Get it done at a reputable shop rather that by someone who does body work on the side. A reputable shop most probably offers a lifetime satisfaction warranty on their work.

xilex
03-30-2016, 11:13 PM
My insurance page says this:

Comprehensive $500 deductible
Collision $500 deductible
Towing No Coverage
Rental No Coverage

It's from Ameriprise. Maybe I will call them to see what happens if I file a claim. Don't want the premium to go up too much--

kevincwelch
03-31-2016, 07:29 AM
Good luck trying to get them to tell you how the claim would affect your rates. Before I had my car repaired (PDR), I inquired about rate changes. Since IL is a "no fault" state and I couldn't ID the guilty party, my rates would have gone up. They wouldn't tell me until I filed a claim. Very frustrating. I paid out of pocket.

(Sent from my mobile device.)

briarpatch
03-31-2016, 04:22 PM
What about insurance? What is your deductible? I believe this would be a comprehensive claim. Otherwise, if you are going to pay the cost yourself, $1000.00 seems about right for the scope of repair needed. Get it done at a reputable shop rather that by someone who does body work on the side. A reputable shop most probably offers a lifetime satisfaction warranty on their work.

This is a collision claim...not comprehensive.....that comes from the benefit of many years as an adjuster

goldenlight
03-31-2016, 04:33 PM
Be great if you can post some pics.

jsgntulok
03-31-2016, 06:27 PM
Be great if you can post some pics.

He did. Go back to the original post an hover your mouse over: car injury - Album on Imgur

goldenlight
04-01-2016, 10:20 PM
I see them now. Definitely reccomend body shop. May want surd around on Angie list or similar search engine