PDA

View Full Version : Color Polishes?

uziel5000
03-30-2016, 01:11 PM
Myth or science?

Having owned black vehicles most of my life, I have often seen and heard about color waxes. You know, those waxes that are specifically formulated for a single color (black being the most common) and that it will "bring out" said color more than "regular" wax. Odd since wax is more protective than an enhancer...

My question(s) would be, do they really work? If they do, how exactly?

I just can't get my head around the fact that paint has a clear coat, which is... clear. Assuming we aren't doing something wrong, we never do in fact, touch the paint (the color part) on our vehicles. Just the clear coat. So how are these supposed to work? They darken (for black) or lighten(for white) the clear coat to add to the color effect. Am I missing something?

FUNX650
03-30-2016, 03:05 PM
IMHO...
So called: "Color Waxes" [even though your
thread started out with Color "Polishes"(?)]...
fly in the face of "The Laws of Natural Order"
that exist in, and are part&parcel of:
The Universe. {RE: General Providence.}

Bob

uziel5000
03-30-2016, 03:20 PM
IMHO...
So called: "Color Waxes" [even though your
thread started out with Color "Polishes"(?)]...
fly in the face of "The Laws of Natural Order"
that exist in, and are part&parcel of:
The Universe. {RE: General Providence.}

Bob

OMG! LMAO! You are right!! I didn't even notice. Is there a way to edit the title. Can you tell I'm total newb?! LOL

rlmccarty2000
03-30-2016, 06:54 PM
The good folks at the DoDo Juice have said their colored waxes leave a slight tint, but I believe you are correct in your assumption that the color of the wax does very little to add color to clear coated cars. I tried BlackIce on a white car and the only thing that changed color was my microfiber towel. There can be a darkening/warming effect, but I believe that is due to the nature of the wax/carnuba. But with everything else in life, I could be wrong!

swanicyouth
03-30-2016, 07:11 PM
The way i see it, is it's very simple how they can subtly change the appearance of paint.

No, they never touch the color coat. But, do glasses have to touch your eyeballs to affect your vision? No.

You are looking at the color coat, through the wax and the clear coat, therefore - there is some effect. Just like sunglasses make stuff look darker - but they are separated from your eyeballs by an air space.

custmsprty
03-30-2016, 07:16 PM
I've used quite a few and at the same time sealants and clear nubas. I notice differences in depth of shine, reflection and wetness depending on the product.

uziel5000
03-31-2016, 10:19 AM
The way i see it, is it's very simple how they can subtly change the appearance of paint.

No, they never touch the color coat. But, do glasses have to touch your eyeballs to affect your vision? No.

You are looking at the color coat, through the wax and the clear coat, therefore - there is some effect. Just like sunglasses make stuff look darker - but they are separated from your eyeballs by an air space.

OK, so lets say that yes, they do work. Then the question is how?

Using your analogy of the glasses, the glasses affect your vision because of the shape of the lenses in them and in the case of tinted glasses, the color of the lens. So what you are saying is that a color wax darkens the clear coat?

cardaddy
03-31-2016, 05:32 PM
Just to throw a bit more confusion out there....
There are SEVERAL paint systems that have tinted top coats. ;)
(Like for instance my wife's "Red Jewel Tintcoat" on her Denali.):poke:

Eldorado2k
03-31-2016, 05:38 PM
Just to throw a bit more confusion out there....
There are SEVERAL paint systems that have tinted top coats. ;)
(Like for instance my wife's "Red Jewel Tintcoat" on her Denali.):poke:

Any nice pics of it?

cardaddy
04-01-2016, 01:01 AM
Any nice pics of it?
Think I have some in my gallery. Have to check tomorrow. I know I've had posts with photos of it before. :)

I know the first time I bought her truck and my pads came out pink I thought I had burned through the clear somewhere. And then it dawned on me that it has tinted clear on it. ;)

Laying in bed looking out thee cathedral ceiling windows (A frame windows above 3 side by side regular windows) at the lightning show outside. BAD storms moving through tonight.... which means I don't sleep much, keeping a lookout lest we need to head to the basement. :eek:

Local weather said we've had over 2" of rain THIS MONTH. Which means SINCE MIDNIGHT!!!! [emoji15]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
04-01-2016, 01:09 AM
Think I have some in my gallery. Have to check tomorrow. I know I've had posts with photos of it before. :)

I know the first time I bought her truck and my pads came out pink I thought I had burned through the clear somewhere. And then it dawned on me that it has tinted clear on it. ;)

Laying in bed looking out thee cathedral ceiling windows (A frame windows above 3 side by side regular windows) at the lightning show outside. BAD storms moving through tonight.... which means I don't sleep much, keeping a lookout lest we need to head to the basement. :eek:

Local weather said we've had over 2" of rain THIS MONTH. Which means SINCE MIDNIGHT!!!! [emoji15]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The only time I have trouble sleeping is when a cat's sleeping on my legs.. Which means I sacrifice my comfort for them and can't move. Lol. It's a good thing my current cat sleeps like a human, right next to me, or curled up in her cat bed across the room:)

Btw, I still want to see pictures of your Caddy.

PiPUK
04-01-2016, 03:08 PM
Dodo did a demonstration and it was visible, on a silver panel. The blue wax definitely gave a blue tint (etc). That said, how long does that last and is it uv stable? I don't believe they went that far!

Colour is a difficult one but gloss or colour enhancement/depth are beyond contention. I can easily tune a product to give high gloss (ideal for a silver vehicle) or colour depth (ideal for dark vehicles).

rlmccarty2000
04-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Dodo did a demonstration and it was visible, on a silver panel. The blue wax definitely gave a blue tint (etc). That said, how long does that last and is it uv stable? I don't believe they went that far!

Colour is a difficult one but gloss or colour enhancement/depth are beyond contention. I can easily tune a product to give high gloss (ideal for a silver vehicle) or colour depth (ideal for dark vehicles).
This example from DoDo Juice was the only one I can remember. Maybe some other wax manufacturers would like to chime in?