PDA

View Full Version : Ford glossy B pillars driving me insane!

jamesalanb
03-30-2016, 12:32 PM
So I am on my 3rd Ford sedan and all 3 have had the piano black, glossy, B pillars. These have all been exceptionally soft and I am just about at wits end trying to keep them looking good!
On my 2015 Fusion, I just corrected them 2 weeks go with HD Adapt and a yellow Megs 3" polishing pad on my GG6. I took pics of before and after and have apparently deleted them. (ERRRR) The Adapt finished down exceptionally well with no haze left over and I was more than satisfied with the results. Went ahead and used the bottle of DP paint coating (prepped with the coating prep) I got a year and a half ago thinking the water repellency would limit the "touching" I have to do with a towel when drying. Fast forward 2 weeks and I have straight line swirling again (very minor right now, but still there.) I use a purple Korean WW not sold here, the gold Cobra Jr's and a majestic bird's edgeless towels - none of which do damage anywhere else. Obviously, I need to not wipe and go to the blot method on the pillars, but does anyone have a recommendation of anything additional that may help? When I use D156 or the like, I have to wipe at least a little... right?

7.3powerstroke
03-30-2016, 01:03 PM
I have seen where some detailers wrap them in paint protection film (ppf). Dont know if that is a possibility for you or not?

Billy Baldone
03-30-2016, 03:33 PM
I'd like to punch the idiot at Ford that thought those were a good idea, square in the dingaling

Coopers ST
03-30-2016, 05:46 PM
I'd like to punch the idiot at Ford that thought those were a good idea, square in the dingaling

If you just look at them cross eyed on my Focus they scratch.
Way different than the Miata huh...

Billy Baldone
03-30-2016, 06:11 PM
You forget friend i too am Focused...... See what i did there

Jaretr1
03-30-2016, 06:24 PM
Thats a tough one. So many cars have those glossy plastic trim pieces that are so soft. I hit mine up on my Accord with Hydro2 every few months and other than the sponge and waffle weave towel, nothing else touches it.

Coopers ST
03-30-2016, 06:50 PM
You forget friend i too am Focused...... See what i did there

Can't get away from you anywhere.

jamesalanb
03-31-2016, 12:03 PM
So... PPF and junk punches, lol. That's about what I thought.

TuxedoTaurus
03-31-2016, 12:37 PM
Yeah I just polish mine every few months, and seal. I want to test a coating on my Taurus and may soon. I accept it as part of owning a car. The polishing only takes 15min for all plastic so no biggie. The PPF sounds like a good plan though.4661446615

Desertnate
03-31-2016, 12:45 PM
Ford owners aren't alone. My VW has them as well.

The paint protection film is a good idea, but I'm wondering if I could apply a vinyl wrap. My wife's Toyota Highland came from the factory with those bits painted in a satin black finish. I can't imaging my car looking bad with a high quality application of vinyl material.

AutowerxDetailing
03-31-2016, 01:19 PM
The problem is the paint on these pillars is very thin and is also coated with an anti-mar top coat at the factory (or by the vendor that provides these components to each OEM).

Even with the factory coating they are still extremely susceptible to damage. This problem is exasperated once you polish away the factory top coat. Then begins a vicious cycle of frequent polishing to remove unpreventable damage that thins the paint further and further as time goes on.

I really like CarPro Essence for the pillars since it will slightly correct and also fill in a good majority of defects. Topped with a coating to help resist new swirls is IMO the best way to care for these ultra soft pillars on a daily driver. Wrapping them in PPF would also be a good way to go.

Rsurfer
03-31-2016, 01:56 PM
I really like CarPro Essence for the pillars since it will slightly correct and also fill in a good majority of defects. Topped with a coating to help resist new swirls is IMO the best way to care for these ultra soft pillars on a daily driver. Wrapping them in PPF would also be a good way to go.

Have you tried topping with Dlux after polishing with Essence?

AutowerxDetailing
03-31-2016, 03:31 PM
Have you tried topping with Dlux after polishing with Essence?

Haven't tried Dlux over Essence yet. Essence + CQuartz + Reload has probably the best anti-mar properties I've ever tested though.

TTQ B4U
04-02-2016, 06:48 AM
Clean them up and have clear bra applied. I use Premium Shields Elite Product as its crystal clear and has a lifetime warranty. Costs would be minimal and going forward concerns would be zero and the product would be invisible.

jcaustin87
04-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Ford owners aren't alone. My VW has them as well.

The paint protection film is a good idea, but I'm wondering if I could apply a vinyl wrap. My wife's Toyota Highland came from the factory with those bits painted in a satin black finish. I can't imaging my car looking bad with a high quality application of vinyl material.

My wifes highlander has them as wells. They seem to be holding up well but I'm tempted to polish them and get them Xpel'd.