PDA

View Full Version : Carnuba over Paint Coating?

PS90
03-29-2016, 11:51 AM
Hi. Noob here, and I apologize if this is a stupid question. My search failed to find an answer.

Just have a quick question: Is it possible/smart/effective to apply a carnuba wax over the top of a Paint Coating (McKee's 37/DP in particular)?

Will this help with protection/shine? Or will it just be counter-productive? Thanks.

Jaretr1
03-29-2016, 12:07 PM
That is an excellent question. I have heard it both ways, that in general applying a wax over a coating wont hurt the coating, and then I have also heard it can actually reduce the coatings longetivity over time. So basically I have completely failed to answer the question. I am sure others will chime in.

trekkeruss
03-29-2016, 12:08 PM
Welcome to AGO, noob.

Some people top; waxes on top of sealants, waxes on top of coatings, sealants on top of coatings. Does it help? Some people think so. I just topped my coating with sealant, because it seemed like water beading was diminishing. Then again, maybe my coating was mostly worn off (it's been over a year and I don't have a garage). Anyway, even if topping does nothing, I doubt it can hurt anything. So try it. If you think it looks better, keep doing it. If it does nothing, no harm done.

Kamakaz1961
03-29-2016, 02:18 PM
IMO I don't think it will hurt. I am in the category of a sealant topped off with a wax person. Can I tell the difference....IN MY EYES yes. Now for a coating I would GUESS it should be ok. But if you are going to apply wax over a coating....as I am assuming you enjoy waxing...why not strip the coating and apply wax? I enjoy applying sealant/wax over my ride especially now that we are coming close to detailing season. That is me.

BadgerRivFan
03-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Optimum Gloss-Coat indicates in the product description that it can be topped with a wax if desired. Each coating manufacturer is different however, with many suggesting that "topping" is unnecessary. I agree with Kamakaz1961 that it most likely will not hurt, and is more a personal taste decision. The characteristics of your coating will be changed by topping it with a wax or sealant so that is really the consideration. Will it improve your level of protection? Likely not.

Nick is the "product expert" for the new McKee's 37 line so maybe he could give us his two cents worth on the specific question of topping McKee's 37 paint coating...

Mike lambert
03-29-2016, 02:56 PM
It is no problem, however you will see the characteristics of the product that is on top. You also won't get any durability as not much tends to stick to coatings

parshooter
03-29-2016, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't use a cleaner-wax, cause it has cleaning abrasives that might take some coating/sealant off. Just a thought.

FUNX650
03-29-2016, 07:38 PM
Yes, OP, IMO:
You should be able to apply a (Finishing) Wax
over Coatings without causing irreparable
damage(s) to said Coatings.

{Just look at "all the other stuff" that you
can throw at them that is supposed to not
damage, degrade, deteriorate, or otherwise
significantly diminish their characteristics
during their defined/designated life-span.}

Here's a few to choose from: