PDA

View Full Version : Unusual "issue" - White paint

SwiftTone
03-28-2016, 08:53 AM
This is an unusual issue. I have a VW GTI in Pure White. It's the brightest white paint I've ever seen. When it's day time out the paint pops so much that it actually doesn't look very good and kinda hurt my eyes. You can barely barely see any type of reflections or details. My favorite time to look at the paint is dawn and dusk, or night time out since I can actually see reflections off of it.

This is a weird question, but is there any way to darken the paint so I can see reflections off of it?The paint is near flawless (so I think) but I can't enjoy it or show it off since the paint is so bright to see anything anyways.

trekkeruss
03-28-2016, 09:25 AM
This is a weird question, but is there any way to darken the paint so I can see reflections off of it?

Move to where the Sun don't shine. :laughing:

Seriously though, I dunno. Some claim some LPS darken more than others, but I doubt the effect would be visible on white paint. I'll be interested to read other's comments and suggestions.

Desertnate
03-28-2016, 09:32 AM
What you are experiencing is the nature of white paint. While easy to maintain, it does hide details. The only white paint I've seen that displays an real character is pearl white similar to what Lexus uses. Even then it doesn't match what you see in darker colors.

On a car like a MK6 GTI, it doesn't help things when you don't have many character lines in the design to catch light and bend/reflect it.

SwiftTone
03-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Move to where the Sun don't shine. :laughing:

Seriously though, I dunno. Some claim some LPS darken more than others, but I doubt the effect would be visible on white paint. I'll be interested to read other's comments and suggestions.
Odd question, I know.

Well there are LSPs that specifically target white and black paint. So I thought maybe there is something out there that will provide what I want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

GSKR
03-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Apply black wax to it lol.

Belair
03-28-2016, 09:53 AM
Prima makes a sealant that I used on our white Toy Sienna. It darkened the glare from the whiteness and looked spectacular. Contact Nick at Prima and he'll tell you about it.

Zubair
03-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Meguiars Ultimate Polish if you wana darken paint. Tape half the hood, polish one half,remove tape and you will notice the half polished with Ultimate Polish considerably darker.

Jay's 128i
03-28-2016, 10:51 AM
I have the exact same car, 2015 MK7. I used Blackfire Crystal seal and I topped with Natty's blue. It shaded it just enough that I can actually look at it without sunglasses. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

SwiftTone
03-29-2016, 08:04 AM
Thanks all. I will keep these tips in mind the next time I detail.

FUNX650
03-29-2016, 10:48 PM
This is an unusual issue. I have a VW GTI in Pure White. It's the brightest white paint I've ever seen. When it's day time out the paint pops so much that it actually doesn't look very good and kinda hurt my eyes. You can barely barely see any type of reflections or details.

This is a weird question, but is there any way to darken the paint so I can see reflections off of it?The paint is near flawless (so I think) but I can't enjoy it or show it off since the paint is so bright to see anything anyways.
Unusual issue; Weird question...:iagree:

I can't recall ever reading on this forum where
anyone wanted their vehicle's paint to become:
"duller"; having less vibrance; wanting a paint's
finish to be less clear.

:idea:
If you get the notion to see for yourself, or show
off to your family and friends, exactly how
"detailed" Pure White paint should/can be...
take the vehicle to either a gas station, or
shopping mall at night.

That type of overhead lighting will allow you,
and/or anyone else, to really see the true
condition of the paint.

Bob

The Guz
03-29-2016, 11:43 PM
T
This is a weird question, but is there any way to darken the paint so I can see reflections off of it?

Paint it a different color :laughing:

It's better that it's bright versus being dingy white.

Not sure if you have seen this

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/22982-lesson-white-paint-teaches-us.html

TroyScherer
03-30-2016, 05:40 AM
I have the same car and color.

I went the other way. I polished it up and coated it to make it as bright and blinding as possible.