autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

1962 Volkswagen - HOK PEARL Paint - Training Car for the September Competition Ready Detailing Class

1962 Volkswagen - HOK PEARL Paint - Training Car for the September Competition Ready Detailing Class

This class is SOLD OUT!

For those of you that signed up for this class, here's just ONE of the cool cars you'll be working on when we go over Show Car Detailing.

1962 Volkswagen with a custom House of Kolor Candy Metallic Yellow Paint Job

Now to the casual observer, this car looks great because it appears as though the paint looks great...

See how under these light condition the paint looks clear and glossy?

Hologram scratches from the misuse of a rotary buffer

To the person with a trained eye that knows how to correctly inspect a car finish, this expensive, custom House of Kolor paint job is filled with hologram swirls!

The below picture is the full size resolution section cropped out of the above pictures. Kind of hurts your eyes doesn't it?

Here's my camera flash lighting up the side of the door....

The below picture is the full size resolution section cropped out of the above pictures.

Here's the hood....

The below picture is the full size resolution section cropped out of the above pictures.

This is the other side of the hood only here I'm using the FLEX Swirl Finder Light to reveal the swirls and scratches....

The word hologram means a specific type of scratch pattern inflicted into the paint by the misuse of a rotary buffer.

It's the normal procedure for even the best body shops to buff out their paint jobs using a wool pad, a compound and a polish with only a rotary buffer and then STOP after these two steps. Nothing wrong with a rotary buffer to buff out a fresh, custom paint job but the final machine polishing step should be performed using a dual action, orbital polisher like we sell here at Autogeek and like we use in all our detailing classes

By using a dual action orbital polisher you will remove the holograms and leave a true show car finish.

The 2016 September Competition Ready Class will use one of the many types of tools we cover in this class to remove the holograms and restore a true show car finish to this very cool bug!

Mike Phillips

Re: 1962 Volkswagen - HOK PEARL Paint - Training Car for the September Competition Ready Detailing Class

A couple more shots....

Here's the Porsche engine...

And hey... it's a cool Bug in the Show Car Garage!

Also just to point out, we've updated the logo in the middle of the Show Car Garage!

If you want to install a custom RaceDeck floor in your garage or shop, call or e-mail me before you make a purchase and let me share my experience with RaceDeck floor tiles. The type we use in the Show Car Garage are the

RaceDeck TuffShield Diamond Floor Tiles, 12 x 12 inches

Seriously... don't invest a dime into floor tiles till you talk to me and get my take because I can tell you a few things about floor tiles that will save you from a disappointing experience.

Shoot me an e-mail at...

Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1962 Volkswagen - HOK PEARL Paint - Training Car for the September Competition Ready Detailing Class

Awh geeze Mike! Great score!

I love all the cars you have found for the class to work on but I am a VW fan & thats a great looking Bug! The scary thing about the holograms is - the guy that applied said House of Colour paint, is more than likely the guy that made those nasty holograms . . . maybe not but more than likely. Great news is that YOU & your class are going to correct this mess & this Bug will then roll with a true show car finish!

Its over 18 months since I stood in the Autogeek Show Car Garage & miss it like I was there for much longer. I have wanted to be a part of all the Competition Ready classes & seeing this Bug parked in the Show Car Garage makes me want be there for this class even more! I look forward to the pictures of this one Mike.

Hmmm, I did enjoy working on the Race Deck tiles & I love the look but I did wonder if I could live with them, two days is a bit different than day after day . . . Interested in your opinion Mike. Email sent.

Have a great class Mike, stella work yet again in sourcing such a fine selection of vehicles for the class to learn on. To all who are attending (hopefully alot of forum members) Enjoy the class, get stuck in & remember - the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask!!!

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    A couple more shots....

Here's the Porsche engine...

And hey... it's a cool Bug in the Show Car Garage!

Also just to point out, we've updated the logo in the middle of the Show Car Garage!

If you want to install a custom RaceDeck floor in your garage or shop, call or e-mail me before you make a purchase and let me share my experience with RaceDeck floor tiles. The type we use in the Show Car Garage are the

Seriously... don't invest a dime into floor tiles till you talk to me and get my take because I can tell you a few things about floor tiles that will save you from a disappointing experience.

Shoot me an e-mail at...

Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net

Mike,

I know you are super busy most of the time but is there a chance you can email me about this flooring system please? I did send you an email at the time of this thread but we were also having issues with sending/receiving emails around this period too.

Thank you Mike.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Mike,

I know you are super busy most of the time but is there a chance you can email me about this flooring system please? I did send you an email at the time of this thread but we were also having issues with sending/receiving emails around this period too.

Thank you Mike.

Aaryn NZ.

This is the

It's important to get the TuffShield model or version. The reason why is it has a glossy, glazed finish and the reason this is important besides looking GREAT is because it's easy to clean.

If you get any of the other versions, the surface is porous and the dirt and stains go in and never come out.

Post Thanks / Like

what a sweet looking car.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

OUTSTANDING job on capturing pictures of the swirls, etc.

That's tuff job to do on light colors.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

what a sweet looking car.
    The Porsche engine is all high performance too. She's really a sweet VW bug.

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post

Mike,

OUTSTANDING job on capturing pictures of the swirls, etc.

That's tuff job to do on light colors.

Bill

Thanks.

Here's the deal about this VW - My September Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class remove all the swirls and gave this House of Kolor paint job the finish it deserves.

I just don't have or haven't had the TIME to process all the pictures. Anyone can post a picture to Facebook if you have phone and a thumb. But ot create a full write-up showing before, during and after with pictures that are actually hosted on a gallery and inserted takes time. And due to the TV show I simply don't have very much time anymore.

Here's an example of what a REAL write-up looks like. This car was also in the September class and it looked just as bad and in fact worse when it arrived and the same guys in the class that fixed this Superbird also fixed this VW. Maybe sometime I'll get to the pictures...

1970 Superbird Detailing Class - The art of polishing paint - Competition Ready Detailing Classes at Autogeek

Next Competition Ready Class is coming up on February 17th, 18th and 19th and there are still spaces available.

Here's just SOME of the cars that will be in this upcoming class...

Training Cars for the February 2017 Competition Ready Detailing Class!

More pictures of the car for the February class to be posted as soon as I get time but I'm telling you... this is going to be a BLOWOUT of a class.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see an aircooled VW in the shop. It will be interesting to see what you use for correction. All the curves and the tight spots between the fenders and the body make it a challenge even though it is a small car. Small pads are your friend.

PS-that is not a Porsche engine. It is just a VW Type 1 engine with dual carbs on it.

Looking forward to the results.

Post Thanks / Like

Makes me miss my 63's. That color is going to look great in the sun after all those defects are removed. Can't wait to see it finished.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast