autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Sign-up: May 2014 Detailing Boot Camp Class - Saturday May 3rd & Sunday May 4th

Next up is using a foam polishing pad with a rotary buffer to remove holograms left by the wool pad...

Time to inspect the results...

Looks good!

Here's Chris trying out the Flex PE14 with a Meguiar's W66 Solo Flexible Backing Plate and a 7" Softbuff Foam Polishing Pad with Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish.

Here's Eric cleaning a wool pad in a pad washer...

Here's Jay using a Lake Country 6.5" wool cutting pad on a Flex PE14 to remove sanding marks...

After cleaning the pad, Eric is back at work...

Dueling Rotary Buffers!

Lester tries out the Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher to remove swirls...

Here's Keith using the 3" Griot's Mini Polisher as a Surgical Dampsander....

Here's Erik using the 3" Griot's Mini Polisher as a Surgical Dampsander....

Because of the size this tool is very easy to control and that makes it easy to sand close to edges or in tight areas...

Here's Jeff using the Flex 3401 with a white 5" Hybrid Polishing Pad removing holograms...

Clean you pads often
    It's so important to always be cleaning your pad to remove both the paint and the used-up product off the face of your pad or buffing will become more difficult, less effective and wipe-off of residue will become gummier...

Erik testing out the Flex PE14 with a polishing pad to remove holograms...

After these classes are over my panels usually look like black mirrors...

Mike Phillips

Re: Sign-up: May 2014 Detailing Boot Camp Class - Saturday May 3rd & Sunday May 4th

How to buff out street rods...

Mike Phillips

How to buff use a rotary buffer... on cool cars!

Mike Phillips

Rupes Project Car to really get some hands-on time with the Rupes Polishers

Rupes Detailing Classes

Rupes Polishers & Rupes Detailing Classes at Autogeek
    Autogeek.net carries the complete line of Rupes polishers, pads and products at our warehouse in Stuart, Florida. We've also added dedicated car detailing classes for both the Rupes Bigfoot 15 and the 21 Polishers at our Detailing Boot Camp Classes.

We hold these classes three times a year here at our Corporate Office in Stuart, Florida.

For these classes, I get my students the real deal, that is I get scratched, swirled-out and oxidized street rods, muscle cars and/or classic cars, for my students to get plenty of hands-on training time behind the Rupes polishers. For a lot of people, the chance to work on the type of cool cars I use in my classes not only makes the learning process a lot more fun and memorable but it might be the only opportunity you get to work on cars like these.

For this class we're using a hotrod 1963 Ford Galaxie!

Autogeek's fully equipped training garage

Waterless Wash for Classics, Muscle Cars and Streetrods...
    I teach my class to never introduce running water to classic cars as a professional courtesy to the owner of these types of cars and as a professional best practice. This helps to reduce the potential for water to get into places that you cannot see or reach and thus creating a rust issue for cars already considered survivors.

Mechanically decontaminate the paint
    The paint on this 1963 Ford Galaxie had some type of above surface bonded contaminants on the paint. To remove these contaminants before machine polishing we used the Nanoskin Autoscrub Towels.

Swirls and scratches
    The paint on this car was filled with swirls and scratches, there were holograms in the finish which are the sign it was improperly machine buffed using a rotary buffer.

This 1963 Ford Galaxie has a modern basecoat/clearcoat paint job just like the car sitting in your driveway. When the clear layer has millions of swirls and scratches this makes the clear paint hazy and cloudy so your eyes cannot see through it to the beautiful colored basecoat below it. In this case the paint is Chestnut Metallic.

Always use the least aggressive product to get the job done

I teach the sage wisdom of always using the least aggressive product (and pad), to get the job done because this practice will remove the defects while leaving the most paint on the car to last over the service life of the car.

Test Spot Number 1
    For our first Test Spot we're using the Rupes Bigfoot 21 Orbital Polisher with a Rupes Yellow foam pad and the Rupes Keramik Gloss Fine Cut Polish.

I show my class how to pick up a thin, bead of product using a modified version of the 10 @ 10 Technique which pulls the bead or strip of product under the pad trapping it between the pad and the paint instead of splattering it.

For our first

Test Spot Number #2
    The first combination of pad and product removed the shallow swirls but it wasn't aggressive enough or fast enough to meet our requirements and expectations for the finish quality on this car's paint.

Next we tried the Rupes Green foam pad and the Rupes Quarz Gloss Medium Cut Polish. Note we're doing this Test Spot in a new section of paint as re-doing the test spot to an area we already polished would skew the results.

Perfect Finish
    The more aggressive green pad and polish worked perfect on this paint system to remove the defects and restore a clear, high gloss finish.

Tape-off and Cover-up
    I teach my class to wait till they've proven a system that will remove the defects and restore a finish that meets their expectations. You never know, something could be out of your control and taping off a car before you dial in your system could end up being a waste of time.

After we proved our system approach we went ahead and used the beach towel technique to cover and protect the fresh air grill, wipers and windshield from any accidental splatter. Remember for most of the people in this class this will be the first time they've either machine buffed and/or used the Rupes system and usually both.

Hands-on Training
    After taping off and covering over things like the convertible top with a tape line surrounding the areas close to body panels the class dives in using the buddy system. Students are paired up with one person buffing and the other person watching their technique as compared to what is taught during the power point presentation and when I demonstrate the tool. The person not buffing is also responsible for making sure the cord is not touching the paint and if it is, gently reminding their buddy to place the cord over their shoulder. They are also responsible to carefully wipe off the product residue. After the first buddy buffs a section of a panel they switch places with the second buddy and repeat the above process. By watching and working together, both people learn from what is done correctly and also by any mistakes that are made. This is a system I've developed on my own and is very effective.

As you look through these pictures, take note of how much room there is for everyone to buff. Classic body designs from Detroit offer plenty of real-estate to learn on and practice your technique.

Small, Compact Polisher for Thin Panels or Intricate Areas
    For doing small, thin panels we're using the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher with the 4" Rupes Pads. In my opinion, there's not only room in the market place for a REALLY GOOD mini or small orbital polisher but there's a HUGE DEMAND for a tool like this also.

Hands-On Training
    When I say hands-on... I mean hands-on... Sometimes the fastest way to dial-in your technique is to have someone physically place their hands on your hands as you grip the polisher and show you,

• How much or how little downward pressure to use.
    • Which directions to move the polisher.
    • How fast or slow to move the polisher.
    • The size of an area to tackle at one time.
    • How to divide up larger panels into smaller sections.

Show Car Techniques - Machine Applying a Show Car Paste Wax
    As the saying goes, there's all kinds of ways to skin a cat. At my classes I show multiple ways to "seal" the paint after polishing. For this car I'm going to show my class how to machine apply a true show car paste wax to create a deep, wet shine.

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Here's my friend Axel, I'm placing some Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax onto the face of the buffing pad...

Machine Waxing = Better, Faster & more Effective
    When I was asked to train Wayne Carini's painter and detailer the art of polishing paint I showed them how to machine wax the cool cars they worked on for Wayne. After machine waxing their first car they said they would never wax a car by hand again.

Microfiber Wiping Techniques for Show Car Work
    Anyone can wipe wax off a car, you know, the old Karate Kid saying everyone likes to mimic... wipe-on, wipe-off.

In my classes I go over tips and techniques to bring your skills to a higher level in all areas of car detailing including what many would think is a very simple procedure. One thing for sure, after you attend my class you'll know exactly what to do when ti comes to carefully removing any wax, sealant or coating off perfectly polished paint.

Mike Phillips

Here's how this car looked when it first arrived...

BEFORE

Before - Swirls & Scratches

AFTER

Here's how it looked after my class used the Rupes Bigfoot Polishers, Pads and Polishes to decimate the swirls out of the basecoat/clearcoat finish on this 1963 Ford Galaxie and create a show car finish.

And here's the Class of September 28th & 29th, 2013 that did the transformation...

Click this bar to view the small image.

Now get this...

The majority of these guys had NEVER used a Rupes Bigfoot polisher before this class.

Mike Phillips

We're also going to be going over,

Paint Coatings
    Black Label Diamond Paint Coating
    Black Label Diamond Surface Coating

Carnauba Waxes
    Machine applying a finishing wax

Cleaner/Waxes
    How to do a One-step machine process to a daily driver

Tire Dressings
    TUF Shine Tire Clearcoat
    Meguiar's Ultimate Black Tire Coating

Nanoskin Products
    Nanoskin Autoscrub Wash Mitts
    Nanoskin Autoscrub Towels
    Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads

And a few more things that I'll add later...

Mike Phillips

How to use the Tornador Car Cleaning Guns

We cover this in the class too....

Mike Phillips

Here's another cool tool everyone attending this class will get to test out and use...

Rupes TA50 Mini Sander - First look...

Mike Phillips

Re: Next Detailing Boot Camp Class - September 27th & 28th

We'll also be going over how to use steam to clean and detail cars...

Interior Detailing - Steam Cleaning Carpet

Here's a tip...
    Get a sturdy plastic table to clean floor mats. This will save your back and your knees because you won't be cleaning things like floor mats on the ground.

Here's my buddy Frank using the Dupray Hill Injection Steam Cleaner to clean the floor mats out of this 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS.

The benefits to using steam to clean

1: Kills germs, bacteria, viruses, etc.

2: No chemicals involved, perfect for people that are chemical sensitive.

3: Introduces very little water to the surface so carpet, fabric and upholstery dries faster.

4. Hot steam loosens the bond between the fibers and ground in dirt and grime better than cold cleaning methods.

The unique feature about the Dupray Hill Injection Steam Cleaner is that you can refill with water on the fly as the water tank is NOT pressurized. Simply loosen and remove the cap on the water tank and add water as needed.

No need to turn the machine off and wait for it to cool down so you can safely add more water.

Dupray Hill Injection Steam Cleaner

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast