autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Interested in Boot Camp but have to leave Sunday....what do I miss?

Hey Mike (and everyone else on the internet),

I am looking at trying to make it out for the boot camp in September, however I have an all-hands company meeting I have to be back for on 9/27 Monday morning. The latest flight I can catch out looks to be at about 6pm from FLL, which would mean I'd probably have to leave at around 3pm. With the caveat that I'd really like to stay and get my full money's worth, what kind of stuff would I miss if I were to leave on Sunday at 3pm? Is that when you do the powerpoint slides?

Mike Phillips

Re: Interested in Boot Camp but have to leave Sunday....what do I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by muaddba View Post

With the caveat that I'd really like to stay and get my full money's worth, what kind of stuff would I miss if I were to leave on Sunday at 3pm?
    Here's a Flow Chart or Story Board I create for all the classes. It helps Andre and I to know which cars to move in next, and "yes" this is important when dealing with 14 to 17 cars in 3 days.

Sunday we start the day with wetsanding. This usually takes us to noon or 1:00pm. Then lunch. I try not to break for lunch until both cars are completely sanded, cut, polished and sealed. The reason why is because, by the time we get to Sunday - EVERYONE is BEAT. The first two days are non-stop and "yes" everyone gets tired. So I try to get the cars all they way done before filling everyone's belly with food.

After wetsanding, we start in on interior detailing with a focus on hot water extractors, steam machines, Tornador car cleaning guns and basic common sense, like use a vinyl product on vinyl and use a leather product on leather.

Here's the thing that most people don't understand.

If you look at the cars I bring in, they are all LARGE. This is so there's PLENTY of space for everyone to work on a car with the tool set being taught at that time.

Now follow me - when it comes to using the interior detailing tools and products, I cannot put a Steam Machine in everyone's hand and let everyone steam a car at the same time. Same goes for hot water extractors. It just doesn't work like car polishers.

So the interior detailing session starting after everyone's belly is full is where the class starts to "finally" slow down. Most of it is demonstration followed by anyone interested, using the various tools. To be HONEST - most people are not interested in this part of the class and this is when the chairs and tables come out and the majority of people are ready to sit and watch.

This session is usually done by around 3:00pm and then we do the Class Certificate ceremony and wrap-up.

Most people that take this class are eager for the first two days where they get to use lots of tool, pads, products and coatings. About half the class is interested in wetsanding on Sunday.

So if you leave on Sunday after lunch, from exper3eince talking to people about this class for the last 10 years - you will feel you have received MORE than your money's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by muaddba View Post

Is that when you do the powerpoint slides?

Nothing wrong with power point presentations. I used to use them. I have a power point presentation for the 3-day class that is 256 slides long.

The problem is - if I have you sitting in a chair looking at a wall, (looking at the power point screen), then you're not on your feet actually using tools and learning techniques.

This is IMPORTANT - people learn both ways, watching a power point, listening to someone explain concepts and people learn by doing. I don't want to take away anything from other styles of classes. It's just my experience, (been doing this a while), that the type of people that gravitate towards doing hands-on detailing, either for fun or profit, are also the type of people that learn best by doing, not sitting in a chair.

Hope that helps. I believe everything always works out as it's supposed to in the end. So if I see you I see you and if I don't I know it's okay.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interested in Boot Camp but have to leave Sunday....what do I miss?

Thanks Mike, that's good info to have. Hopefully it will all work out.