autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Any plans in the near future for a Detroit visit?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Hey Mike......

Do you (will you) continue to feature machines like the GG6 which are no longer in production?
    Sorry but "no".

I can make a case for packing "1" of these tools because we sold THOUSANDS of them over the 11 years I've been here. Then if someone taking the class says,

I bought a Griot's Garage 6" ROP from Autogeek and I'm hoping in this class to learn how to use it

Then I provide the great Autogeek Customer Care that everyone expects from Autogeek. And while I can make the case to take one, I won't and the reason why is because I do pack a few Porter Cable 7424XP polishers and it's the same basic tool. So anything I can teach and/or anything someone wants to learn with this "type" of tool I can accommodate with a tool that is still on the market and that we continue to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post

Or how about the Cyclo? Seems like it's a dinosaur now.
    I always pack at least one Cyclo and the pads that go with in case anyone wants to test it out.

I used to teach a dedicated Cycle class in my 3-day classes but so many other tools have been introduced there's simply not enough time. Keep in mind, for each "tool set" I bring in 2-3 cars for the class to train on. So a dedicated Cyclo class would take at least 2 cars and up to 4 hours.

Here's one of the well-documented dedicated Cyclo classes I taught in the past.

This is a 1950 Ford Custom Convertible. The paint had hologram swirl scratches from a rotary buffer the the last time it was buffed out.

My class did a multiple-step show car paint polishing process to remove the swirls and restore a swirl-free flawless finish.

RUPES Cyclo Detailing Class - Pictures of Cyclo in action!

Mike Phillips

More...

After the machine compounding, machine polishing and machine waxing we went over the proper techniques for removing wax.

Mike Phillips

More...

Here's another. I'm pretty sure I'm the ONLY instructor on planet Earth that has both taught dedicated Cyclo classes and photo-documented them. It's the photo documenting where others don't do the time-consuming work to take the pictures, process the pictures and then share the pictures in a LINEAR manner on this thing called a "fourum".

Cyclo Polisher Buffer Hands-On Detailing Classes at Autogeek

1958 Plymouth Fury - Show Car Makeover with Cyclo & Pinnacle

Step 1 - Clean car
    As a personal best practice for myself and one I pass on to every person that attends our detailing classes is using a Waterless Wash to wash classics, muscle cars and street rods and of course I explain why in the class.

Using Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash with Carnauba to clean the 1958 Plymouth .

Step 2 - Inspect paint

When inspecting the paint we inspect for,

• Above surface bonded contaminants
    • Below surface defects like swirls and scratches

After removing the loose dirt it's time to inspect the paint by feeling it with our bare hands. The paint on this car was heavily contaminated.

Next we go over how and why to do the Baggie Test to inspect the paint.

The Hulk Technique
    I like to show the Hulk technique for kneading a clay bar into a clay patty.

Step 3 - Remove above surface bonded contaminants

Then we go over the proper techniques for rubbing detailing clay over paint.

Inspecting after claying - now the paint feels smooth like glass....

After demonstrating the correct techniques for using detailing clay it's time for the class to beg busy. The paint is contaminated so everyone gets their own piece of clay to clay the paint.

Whoa.... who's that with the video camera?

Step 4 - Perform a Test Spot and dial in the compounding and polishing process

This is without a doubt the most important part of buffing out the paint on any car. It's important to do a little testing to see which combination of pads and products produce the best results.

Once a selection of pads and products are proven to work it's then just a matter of duplicate the process to the rest of the car.

Showing the class how to do a Test Spot using the Cyclo Polisher

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

More...

Step 5 - Machine Compounding

After the paint is smooth and clean and we've performed our test spot it's hands-on training time where the class puts the Cyclo Polisher to work removing holograms out of the single stage paint.

Here's Chris and Rob working on the back of this HUGE car!

Here's Darrell working on the roof of the 1958 Plymouth Fury...

Here's Walter working on the passenger front fender...

Here's Rob compounding the passenger side door....

Step 6 - Machine Polishing
    In this picture the class had finished the compounding step and is now machine polishing using Cyclo green foam polishing pads and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish.

Step 7 - Machine Waxing
    After machine compound and machine polishing the class machine applied a coat of Pinnacle Liquid Souverän Wax using the Cyclo polisher and the Cyclo white foam finishing/waxing pads.

Mike Phillips

More...

How to correctly remove a Carnauba liquid wax

After we let the wax dry we went over the correct techniques for carefully removing a dried coat of wax.

Finished!

This car came out simply incredible! I'm confident the paint looks better today than it did back in 1958 when it was sitting on the show room floor of some Plymouth New Car Dealership somewhere....

Nice work class!

Mike Phillips

More...

BEFORE the class, I took the time to share with everyone the historicaly background of the above car...

Anyone remember the movie Christine? (and the car?)

The reason I ask...

Is not only is Christine an iconic TV car but we're also going to have the car used to create Christine at our next Detailing Boot Camp Class in July!

Christine is a 1958 Plymouth Fury. These cars were originally ONLY offered in the color Buckskin. Christine the movie car has a custom paint job but originally it was Buckskin too.

Here's just one of the cars everyone attending the July 17th, 18th and 19th 3-day detailing class will get to work on....

I took these pictures with my camera phone but you can easily see the tale-tale signs of holograms which are a scratch pattern inflicted by the misuse of a rotary buffer.

I'm sad to say this kind of hack work is all to often typical of the type of detailing done to cool cars like this 1958 Plymouth Fury.

You can really see the holograms in this shot....

This is a fully restored 1958 Plymouth Fury with a basecoat/clearcoat finish. This car has the original 350 Golden Commando engine with dual Holley carbs.

As you can see by the pictures, I'm sad to say the last person to machine buff the paint left holograms over every inch of each body panel.

Those attending the July class will be the lucky ones that get to undo the damage and learn how to restore a flawless, show car finish using one of the below tools....

1. Flex PE14 Rotary Buffers
    2. Rupes BigFoot Orbital Polishers
    3. Flex 3401 Dual Action Orbital Polishers
    4. Rupes Cyclo Polishers
    5. Porter Cable - Griot's Garage & Meguiar's 8mm DA Polishers

This isn't the only cool car the July class will get to work on... I have more in the works...

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought.

If some one grabbed that GG6 and really liked it, then asked how to buy one, it would be pretty crappy to tell them "You can't".

Thanks, Mike!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

If some one grabbed that GG6 and really liked it, then asked how to buy one, it would be pretty crappy to tell them "You can't".

Thanks, Mike!

It's called progress...

It's also the natural evolution of tools in our industry.

11. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12