autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Flow Chart for February Detailing Bootcamp Class

Flow Chart for February Detailing Bootcamp Class

Over the years, one of the techniques I use to assist in getting the next set of cars into the garage after the finishes the previous set of cars is to use a simple Flow Chart with pictures of the cars and the order in which the class will train on them.

If we were working on demo hoods or only using one or two cars, that would be simple. But the class is structured to teach "Tool Sets" or types and brands of tools and also paint polishing system. For example, both RUPES and Griot's have complete "systems" that include tools, pads and products. As a professional courtesy to both these companies and to the students - I teach their systems as systems.

For tools that don't have complete system, for example FLEX has their own pad line but they don't have a chemical line. Porter Cable is a tool but Porter Cable doesn't have a pad line or a chemical line, for these detailing sessions I incorporate different brands for pad and products, for example Buff and Shine Pads and Lake Country Pads, and for this class, Dr. Beasley's products, BLACKFIRE and Pinnacle products.

The end results is everyone that takes one of these classes gets TONS of hands on time with a very wide variety of tools, pads and products. AND - I don't bring anything into the classroom that I wouldn't personally use on my own cars or black and dark colored cars - this means I only show products that use great abrasive technology.

So the topics covered in order are,

1. Short Stroke Polishers
    2. RUPES System
    3. Griot's BOSS System
    4. FLEX Polishers
    5. Free-4-All
    6. Rotary Polishers

The above is 6 dedicated training sessions and each session for the different tool sets or paint polishing systems gets 2 cars and sometimes 3 cars. The goal is always LOTS OF HANDS-ON TIME behind all the tools, pads and products and this means LOTS of cars.

Make sense?

That's why these classes are for the most part all on-your-feet, hands-on training. There's simply no time to sit in chairs when there are so many tools and techniques to go over.

And this circles back to the Flow Chart system I use to help both Andre and I to move cars out and then move cars in.

Here's the Flow Chart for the weekend's class.

See there's 3 cars for the first training session? That's because two of them have soft tops - no place to run a polisher. So I bring in a third car. Now there's PLENTY of real-estate for each student to use and train with short stroke polishers.

Free-4-All is a class session where we go over using AIOs to do high quality production detailing, (that's one-step products), and at this point in time all the students have used, short stroke polishers, RUPES System, Griot's System and FLEX tools and now they can re-visit any tool of their choice or any tools or tools they want to spend more time with. Then after this session we have a dedicated rotary polisher class.

Sunday morning we dive in head first to go over hand sanding and machine sanding techniques.

Then in the afternoon we go over Steam Machines, Hot Water Extractors and fill in any gaps or holes not covered yet like glass polishing, Kosmetic Engine Detailing, etc.

By the time Sunday afternoon gets here - you are all going to be VERY tired. And ready to do the Training Certificate Award Ceremony and after that, collect up your personal items, get your Swag Bag of goodies and head home for a great night's sleep.

If you're attending this class then you've received an e-mail from me with the link to this thread so you have a heads-up as to how the class is going to be structured.

Remember to wear work clothes, and get a good night's sleep.

See you Friday morning!

Mike Phillips

Re: Flow Chart for February Detailing Bootcamp Class

Continued....

FRIDAY

Dr. Color Chip

First thing Friday morning Tony Pando will go over how to correctly use the Dr. Color Chip rock chip repair system. We're doing this FIRST thing at the start of the class so throughout the 3-day class anytime we have a car in the garage that needs touch-up work - YOU the students are encouraged to practice and hone your skills using the Dr. ColorChip system.

3. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Contineud....

Short Stroke Random Orbital Polishers - the first tool set we go over on Friday Morning

The RUPES Paint Polishing SYSTEM - The second tool set we go over on Friday afternoon

The Griot's BOSS System - the third tool set we go over later Friday afternoon

By the end of Friday you will have buffed out 6 cars - 2 cars minimum for each tool set.

SATURDAY

FLEX BEASTS & FINISHERS - the 4th tool set you will use starting Saturday morning

Corded BEASTS - Cordless BEASTS and the new Supa BEASTS!

Corded Finishers and Cordless Finishers

FLEX PXE-80 or as I like to call it - The FLEX PiXiE!

We have 6 PiXies for everyone to use! Thank you FLEX Tools!

FLEX ROTARY POLISHERS - The 5th tool set you will learn on Saturday afternoon

We also have one RUPES rotary polisher as well as DeWALT rotary polishers

LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON - Free-For-All - Production Detailing

Now that you've used ALL the major tool types and brands we go over how to do high quality production detailing using AIOs and at this point of the class you an pick and choose any tools you want to re-visit or spend more time on.

By the end of Saturday - you will have trained on more tools, pad, products and 12 or more cars. Guaranteed.

Lake Country Power Tools - The UDOS 51E

We have 6 of the new UDOS tools for everyone to use throughout all 3 days plus all of the Lake Country UDOS pads which are all brand new pad innovations from Lake Country Pad Manufacturing.

Dr. Beasley's NSP Primers, Z1 Ceramic AIO and the new LS-10

IGL Products

A great selection of IGL products and as we get closer I'll be adding more products for the class to use.

More pictures coming....

5. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Great news!

The new official Detailing Bootcamp shirt has arrived in time for those attending this class!

7. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice new T-shirt for the students, looks great!