autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Training Cars for the 2019 September 3-day Detailing Bootcamp Class

Mike, i am bumping this thread, as I have a black Kia Stinger coming Thursday for a 2 year ceramic. I did a test spot with the customer. We agreed on a one step correction. When wiping off the compound, I noticed the paint scratched super easy. I am just confirming that this paint is super soft??? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post

Mike, i am bumping this thread, as I have a black Kia Stinger coming Thursday for a 2 year ceramic.

I did a test spot with the customer. We agreed on a one step correction.

When wiping off the compound, I noticed the paint scratched super easy. I am just confirming that this paint is super soft???

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

For those reading this into the future - installing a coating on soft paint is probably one of the hardest things there is to do when it comes to paint correction.

Why?

Because soft paint scratches easily. Part of installing a coating includes CHEMICALLY STRIPPING THE PAINT using some type of solvent. Now follow me - solvents are NOT great lubricants. Drain the motor oil out of the engine in your car and replace it with IPA and see how long the motor lasts?:

Here's my advice,

First - Update the customer. See if they would rather stick with a traditional sealant instead of a coating. If yes, then machine buff with BF One Step and top with BF BlackIce. Super simple and works great on soft paints.

If the customer is set on a ceramic coating - then take inventory of your microfiber towels. Make sure you have plenty of soft UN-CONTAMINATED microfiber towels. It's the towel that you're going to wipe-over the paint with a solvent and it is the towel that puts the scratches into the paint - not the solvent.

Besides that - consider one of the new primers on the market. With this type of product you can skip the chemical stripping step and go right to the coating.

Mike Phillips

Here's a recent review I did for the new Nano Surface Primers from Dr. Beasley's.

Review: Dr Beasley's Nano Surface Primers and 1201 Paint Coating - 1947 Dodge Panel Delivery Streetrod

I don't know if you have to use the Dr. Beasley's coatings after using the Dr. Beasley's NSP products. I don't know for sure. My guess is you can.

There are also other "primers" on the market.

Again - you're still going to need super clean and soft microfiber towels to wipe off the polish before going to the coating.

Hope that helps...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike. I will order up some Dr Beasley's to have on hand. Will I be better off to do a quick polish step with CarPro Essence, as it is all I have on hand, before I coat the car?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post

Thank you Mike. I will order up some Dr Beasley's to have on hand.

Will I be better off to do a quick polish step with CarPro Essence, as it is all I have on hand, before I coat the car?

I would try it. I have not used it for a while - best thing to do though would be a Test Spot.

Looking forward to your follow-up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12