autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Training Cars for the 2019 May 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class

Training Cars for the 2019 May 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class

For the 3-day classes I need 10 cars for the class to use the 4 major tools sets plus production detailing. Each tool set or "type" gets 2 cars so there's PLENTY OF ROOM OR REALESTATE for each person to get plenty of hands-on time with each specific too.

Tools Sets in order of training

Friday

Tools Set 1: 8mm free spinning random orbital polishers

These are the Griot's, Porter Cable, Meguiar's polishers. The class uses these with Pinnacle products and Buff & Shine pads.

Tool Set 2: RUPES BigFoot Long Stroke Orbital Polishers

Class uses RUPES polishers after building a foundation using 8mm short stroke polishers. The class uses RUPES pads and products with RUPES tools.

Tool Set 3: Griot's BOSS Long Stroke Polishers

The class immediately uses the Griot's long stroke polishers after RUPES long stroke polishers so they can make up their own mind which tools and system, (system = pads, products tools), they like best. The class uses Griot's BOSS compounds, polishes and pads with Griot's BOSS tools.

End of first day

Saturday

Tool Set 4: FLEX Tools

The class uses the FLEX XC 3401 VRG gear-driven 8mm orbital polisher for compounding followed by the FLEX XFE7-15mm free spinning random orbital polisher for polishing. Class uses SONAX products and Lake Country pads with the FLEX tools.

Tool Set 5: This is what I call the FREE-For-All class.

By now everyone in the class has pretty much used all the popular and well-known tools and in so doing, detailed 8 cars using the show car detailing approach, which is dong a multiple-step process of compounding, polishing and sealing the paint.

At this point, for cars number 9 and 10 they can choose to use any tool they would like to re-visit or spend more time with. For this class we use the cars we washed on Saturday morning and now use for Production Detailing. Production Detailing is the opposite of Show Car Detailing. With Productoin Detailing instead of doing a 3-step process of compounding, polishing and sealing the paint, now the class will use a one-step cleaner/wax and in this class the product will be BLACKFIRE One Step.

By the time we are done on Saturday the class will have detailed 10 cars and went over hundreds of tools, products and techniques including,

Engine detailing with engine degreasers (wet wash)
    Glass polishing to remove road film
    Glass polishing to remove scratches
    Chemical decontamination
    Mechanical decontamination
    Proper wheel and tire cleaning
    Foam guns
    Cosmetic engine detailing
    Plastic trim restoration
    Canvas top cleaning and protection
    Vinyl top cleaning and protection
    Taping-off
    Measuring paint thickness
    Filling out an Vehicle Inspection Form - documenting pre-existing damage
    How to do a Test Spot
    How to use detailing clay
    Nanoskin mitts, towels and pads
    Traditional waxes
    Synthetic sealants
    Multiple Ceramic Paint Coatings
    Tire dressings and tire coatings
    Glass coatings
    Wheel coatings
    Wheel polishing

Plus they will have used all the tools sets, multiple pads and products.

That's a LOT to cover in 2 days and this is why we start at 7:30am sharp and go until 5:30pm - that's 10 hour days. This is also whey we go through and detail 10 cars.

Sunday

For Sunday I need 2-3 cars for wetsanding. Usually we always have a few people that have traveled here from other states or other countries thus we have Rental Cars. I do my best to get a freshly painted custom car, sometimes this happens sometimes it doesn't, it all depends upon timing and trust. For this class in May we have a 1954 Ford F100 Streetrod with a fresh custom paint job. See below.

For the 2019 May 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class - here's the cars so far....

1: 2016 Jaguar F Type S

2: 2006 Bentley Continental Flying Spur

3: 2014 Mustang 5.0

4: 1941 Cadillac Sedan Streetrod - Magazine quality build.

5: 1947 Chevy Pickup Streetrod - Magazine quality build.

6: 2000 Honda CRV - Survivor car - 17 years old - all original

7: Toyota Avalon - Mundane Daily Driver

This belongs to our neighbors and it's simply their daily driver. In my classes I try to have cool cars, big cars and also everyday cars. This car has not been properly detailed since the purchased it new so it's due for a thorough bath and decontamination. When we're done - they are driving it to their home in Wyoming.

8: 2011 Acura RDX

Been told she's all swirled-out. Picture below is just a 2011 Acura RDX I found on the Internet

9: 1961 Cadillac Series 75 Formal Sedan

10: 1972 Ford Limited Edition Sprint Mustang - 48,000 original miles

Wetsanding Training Vehicle

Ford F100 - This is for our wetsanding class

We hold these classes 3 times a year.

Last weekend of January <--already over

First weekend of May <--That's this class

Last weekend of September <-- coming up

If you're reading this thread and "thinking" about attending one of our 3-day classes, (the best and most hands-on classes available), then click the link below for more info.

Info for 3-day class

Sign-up 30 days before the date for ANY of our classes and get a $100.0 store credit. This includes the 3-day classes, the 2-day Roadshow classes and the 2-day Boat Detailing classes

2. Likes JKDesign, Aaryn NZ, 392hemi, Diner liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Training Cars for the 2019 May 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class

Also....

In this thread you'll see just some of the tools, pads and products for the upcoming May class.

May 3-Day Training Class - Set-up - Staging tools, products and pads

At all my 3-day classes here at Autogeek in Stuart, each class works on approximately 13 to 15 cars over 3 days.

Now that's hands-on. There's no way to work through this many cars and also sit in a chair.

Andre says only 4 spaces left for the May class. Next 3-day class will be the last weekend in September.

Andre: 1-800-869-3011 x244

See you here!

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic line up again Mike!

Wow! That ‘41 Caddy is a massive canvas. Big enough for the entire class & some without bangin’ shoulders.

My pick would be the ‘35 Ford Truck, I like the colour too. There’s a Mechanic down the road from our shop who has an almost identical looking one but it’s green & I’ve always liked the styling, I like this Red one too.

Impressive line up Mike, I’m sure the class will again be a great success. Thank you for sharing Mike, & enjoy!

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

Fantastic line up again Mike!

Wow! That ‘41 Caddy is a massive canvas. Big enough for the entire class & some without bangin’ shoulders.
    Yes - the 1941 Caddy is huge! That is not the actual car, that's something I found on the Internet to show what a 1941 Caddy looks like. The actual Caddy is a magazine quality street rod. It will be that body style but be totally bad ass.

And I don't know of any other classes out there where the students get to learn and train on cars like any of these cars.

I will have a few mundane daily drivers here too, I like to make sure there's a wide selection of cars to keep our classes real-world.

As always, thanks for chiming in Aaryn. As and alumni student of our 30da classes you know how much fun these classes are and how hands-on they are.

Post Thanks / Like

Not too long after I commented yesterday morning I took the family to the local Air Show, & although a few years later model, I think this on has even more realestate.

What an absolute monster!

Aaryn NZ.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

7. Likes Diner liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

Not too long after I commented yesterday morning I took the family to the local Air Show, & although a few years later model, I think this on has even more realestate.
    That looks like a Caddy Limo!

I may have one of these for this upcoming class too!

More....

Here's some more pictures of the 1941 Cadillac - this thing is HUGE and filled with swirls.

Hard to see from under the car but that is a 454 Big Block Chevy in the engine compartment....

This isn't your Dad's Cadillac....

9. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

The 1961 Cadillac Series 75 Formal Sedan has arrived and she is filled with swirls and scratches. The paint also utterly fails the baggie test.

With my phone camera

With my Canon T61

This will be the BLACKFIRE One Step car. This is where the class learns what I call,

Production Detailing

Production detailing is where you only do ONE step to the paint besides the normal washing, drying and claying.

This will be car number #9 that the class will buff out last on Saturday along with the 2000 Honda CRV. Both cars will be used for the class session on production detailing.

By the time the class gets to cars number #9 and #10 they will have used ALL of the major tool sets including,

1. 8mm Free Spinning random orbital polishers
    2. RUPES tools
    3. Griot's BOSS Long Stroke polishers and the BOSS System
    4. FLEX polishers and SONAX products with Lake Country pads

So by Saturday afternoon - now everyone gets to choose and use any brand of tool they want to spend more time with using the BLACKFIRE One Step.

11. Likes Aaryn NZ, Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!!

That beauty would almost not fit in the South Island of New Zealand!
    Very cool car & looks to be the perfect state for you class Mike. Certainly plenty of realestate to hone some skills there. Good job Mike, awesome.

Aaryn NZ.

Mike Phillips

More...

The 2016 Bentley Flying Spur has arrived....

The rest all arrive tomorrow and the class starts at 7:30am SHARP on Friday and Saturday. I turn into Mr. Nice Guy on Sunday and everyone can sleep in one extra hour and then get here at 8:30am SHARP!

We'll detail 11 to 13 cars over the course of 3 days.

The next and LAST 3-day Detailing Bootcamp class is always the LAST WEEKEND IN SEPTEMBER. That would be September 27th, 28th, & September 29th

Mike Phillips Detailing Boot Camp - September 27th, 28th, & September 29th

Get signed up for the September class early as it always sells out the fastest.

Mike Phillips

I normally share lots of pictures of all the cars for our detailing classes because we have more cars and more cool and unique cars on our classes compared to any other class in this industry.

Actually you never see any cars for any other class. None.

That said - after returning from a private roadshow class I was simply short on time.

Here’s a few though as I always document this kind of stuff both in the forum world (where it takes more time and brains to make a picture magically show up) and also on my FB page where a Monkey post a picture.

Class starts at 7:30am sharp - ended at 5:30pm. All hands-on

Notice - no Chairs on the pictures above. If you want to sit - take some other class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes Aaryn NZ, Diner liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast