autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to pay for your Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with GoFundMe

Quote Originally Posted by LittleKing24 View Post
    Thank you! It's really cool that you replied because when I would tell people about the class and that people come from all over the world I always tell them that someone(you) came all the way from New Zealand. It's got to be the furthest anyone has traveled! I had the chance to go to Australia from Texas in 09 as a student ambassador and man what a flight! Or 3 for that matter. At the class I attended we had Jose from Argentina and Paulo from Brazil. (I hope I got that right).
    Haha, that's cool I was inloved just a teeny bit in a non direct way Ryan, I would love to have helped you make the trip to Stuart for the class too but alas, I did not know of this. Maybe if I make it back that way I can stop in to your shop (coz Mike said you are keen to open one) & see how its going.

Its awesome how far this forum reaches & its great nomatter how far away people are, they make the effort to get there to attend a Mike Phillips class! Yeah, I'm not sure if I am the furtherest travelled but geeze, I tell you what - we left Florida on a Friday . . . Landed in New Zealand on Sunday! Saturday? I dunno where Saturday went.

Aaryn NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

post moved to another thread.
    Last edited by SuperbShineDetail; 01-09-2017 at 03:39 PM. Reason: wrong post

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    I like this idea! I like it alot.

Congratulations Ryan for thinking outside the box & also for attending such a great class. I had often thought about how to go about raising the $ to get to Compitition Ready & I also thought it would be a great thing for the forum members to do amongst ourselves to nominate a fellow member & all "chip in" to get them there. Maybe Autogeek could list it in the store & people just give what they can. Me, I scrimped & saved for years to afford to make the 8000+ mile journey from New Zealand in 2015 & it was worth every hard earned cent to attend Mikes class. Maybe this idea could see me return to Stuart for another class sooner than my current pocket $ will alow.

Nice one Ryan, great post - as us Kiwis say - "Chur Bro".

Aaryn NZ.
    I really wonna attend mikes 3 day Detaling class so I am going try out the go fund me page detail for donations I've got nothing to loose but an incredible opportunity!!
    Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    Almost every donation was fair??? Excuse me, those unfair donations didn't have to be given to you at all. If I were to ever go that route (wouldn't ever do it though) I'd be appreciative of a cent given to me.
    You're right. I guess I could have worded it differently.

I was happy with every donation I received no matter the amount because without them I wouldn't have made it to the class. I also refused to give anyone a price on their detail because I truly wanted to do it through donations so putting a price tag on it defeats the purpose. So I can't say a donation wasn't fair. Once again you're right.

I also know that most people don't know how much a true detail costs compared to the 20 minute car wash "detail". There was honestly only one specific detail I did that led me to say what I did. It involved paint correction on a bmw that someone previously took a rotary buffer to. I was originally gonna do it at a certain price but had to wait for him to get his front bumper replaced. When it came time to do it, instead of giving him a price, I just told him to make a donation because I had just started detailing for them.

Needless to say it was less than what I was originally gonna do it for. I'm not a monster. I also worked very hard for the donations. And for everyone that did donate, whether I detailed their vehicle or not, will get a heavy discount next time I detail their vehicle. Even the person with the bmw.

Thank you! It's really cool that you replied because when I would tell people about the class and that people come from all over the world I always tell them that someone(you) came all the way from New Zealand. It's got to be the furthest anyone has traveled! I had the chance to go to Australia from Texas in 09 as a student ambassador and man what a flight! Or 3 for that matter. At the class I attended we had Jose from Argentina and Paulo from Brazil. (I hope I got that right).
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Haha, that's cool I was inloved just a teeny bit in a non direct way Ryan, I would love to have helped you make the trip to Stuart for the class too but alas, I did not know of this. Maybe if I make it back that way I can stop in to your shop (coz Mike said you are keen to open one) & see how its going.

Its awesome how far this forum reaches & its great nomatter how far away people are, they make the effort to get there to attend a Mike Phillips class! Yeah, I'm not sure if I am the furtherest travelled but geeze, I tell you what - we left Florida on a Friday . . . Landed in New Zealand on Sunday! Saturday? I dunno where Saturday went.

Aaryn NZ.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but these types of things should be reserved for people who really need a helping hand, this isn't a need but rather a want.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

How to pay for your Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with GoFundMe

Klasse act I agree. I'd be glad to fund a child or adult who needs an operation or transplant and have done that. This just shows the mindset of America today. I want to take a free vacation to Europe to enable my well being and happiness. Oh well...
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Sorry but these types of things should be reserved for people who really need a helping hand, this isn't a need but rather a want.

Too many people are missing the point here. I didn't use gofundme to just ask for money. I detailed vehicles in exchange for donations. The reason I decided to use gofundme rather than just take their money is because of the platform. It's a visual aid to those that donated, plus it's easily shareable across social media. My description on my gofundme was straight forward as to why I was raising money for the class, and what the donations would be used for as well. So that donators knew exactly where their money was going(shared a link to the class). Fund raising isn't all about death and medical bills

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Words words words...

...at the end of the day, YOU asked people to pay so YOU could attend a detailing class in sunny FLA.

I'm not one to pass along a story like this because it falls under the header of "doing the right thing when no one is looking" but here it goes.

While out for breakfast with my wife and our then 14 month old daughter a couple months ago I noticed an older gentleman with a WWII veteran hat on entering the restaurant. I watched where we sat down and finished my breakfast. When I finished I went to the cashier and paid for our food as well as the WWII vets. The owner shortly came over to me to thank me and I just told him he paid for all of us years and years ago.

This isn't the first time I've done this either and I will continue to do so, maybe an example like this will inspire others to "fund" a deserving person like this gentleman who surely went through hell l over there because he chose to defend our country 🇺🇸

Post Thanks / Like

I asked people to donate, not pay, for the hard work I put into each and every vehicle I detailed. I would get asked how much? To which I refused to give a price. Because THAT is payment.

I've never been in your position to pay for a veterans meal but my girlfriend and I did help keep food and water in a homeless vet and his service dogs stomach for months. He hung around a job we were at. He had an unfortunate situation but was trying to get back on his feet. I'm a father myself to an 18 month old son. I also donate to 3 different first response charities every year. I'm not a bad guy.... and I'm not gonna fall to bashing people on the internet. That class may not be important to you, but this is a detailing forum, full of people who would probably love the opportunity to attend the class, but can't do so due to the cost of the class. I'm just trying to help. Asking for money is one thing, working hard for it though is a completely different thing. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I decided to use gofundme rather than just take their money is because of the platform. It's a visual aid to those that donated, plus it's easily shareable across social media.
    Easy payment platform...I get it. Good thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post

...at the end of the day, YOU asked people to pay so YOU could attend a detailing class in sunny FLA.
    End of the day, the people contributing decided if it was worth it, not the OP. There was no subterfuge, no deception...burden of right or wrong falls on those clicking Donate button. OP just chose GoFundMe as platform, just like PayPal and the like. Would I donate? No...but maybe others think it was a cool way to help a like-minded individual out.

Hey, I could really use a 5-star vacation...I'll post my GoFundMe link in a bit.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Point taken Budget but the unmitigated audacity of the entire thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast