autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use a Degreaser to clean your engine compartment - BLACKFIRE Super Degreaser Review

Thanks for all those pictures, yes this was both a demo and a hand-on tutorial. Thanks for sharing the tips and tricks once again. Love the use of the Sidekick hand blower and using it to dry the brushes is a much easier method than swinging it to dry. Should have a happy Camaro owner, hope they can keep it up!

Kirby

Mike Phillips

Re: How to use a Degreaser to clean your engine compartment - BLACKFIRE Super Degreaser Review

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post

Love the idea of a Speedmaster Wheel Brush! Never thought about that. I've been using a dedicated large head detailing brush, and although it does OK, I've always struggles with places "just out of reach". This will solve THAT problem!

I learned on my own working from top down. My wife wanted to know why the back collar of one of my shirts was discolored. Apparently, the degreaser I use doesn't get along with modern day polo shirts! And, of course, I had to redo the lower part, as well.

Starting with the underside of the hood is a sign of someone that actually knows what they are doing. Skipping it or doing it second is a sign of someone still learning, (that's okay), or faking it.

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post

Wow, I can't believe I never thought about using my sidekick to dry my brushes! I always wash them and shake as good as possible but put them away on a rack still wet and let air dry. I use the sidekick on the car anyways so might as well blow dry the brushes.

Thanks for the idea

I love the Sidekick. It's one of my top favorite 10 tools. I use it for all kinds of projects.

At ALL my classes I show the Sidekick and blow each students palm with it so they can see just how powerful the air volume and pressure is coming out of the tiny tool. It blows people away - PUN INTENDED!

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

Very nice how-to article Mike. Thank you for your patience in recording all the steps for posterity.
    I appreciate the appreciation. Takes time to do it right the first time and then document it with text and pictures. A lost art in my opinion as I just don't see anyone else in our industry doing this any longer.

I’m not a fan of the Speedmaster on wheels due to the blow back when you pull it out from wheel face, maybe I can get some use out of it on engines.
    I agree - when cleaning wheels, because we're usually sitting right across from them, when pulling the bristles out they LAUNCH the wheel cleaner and all the grime you just lossened onto you. Even if you use the little twisting technique, that is twisting the Speedmaster brush as you pull it out, in my experience this doesn't actually solve, stop or reduce the splatter problem. So what I do is wear work cloths that I don't care if they get dirty or stained.

I do tend to cover up my polished aluminum leg however to avoid staining the surface.

I like to use the Wheel Woolies in all the sizes to get into all the crevices. The brush to apply the dressing is a good idea. I usually just mist 303 Aerospace Protectant everywhere and followup with a microfiber towel to remove the excess.

Wheel Woolies are great. Someone asked me,

Mike,

Which should I get? The Wheel Woolie or the Speedmaster Brush?

I said you need them both, it's not an either/or decision.

The Wheel Woolie is simply to effective at SCRUBBING years of built-up road grime and brake dust on the inner barrel, especially if you're NOT removing the wheels. The Speedmaster is simply to effective at getting in and around the brake calipers and of course, because you can bend it, you can get the backside of the wheel spokes. There is a 90 degree Wheel Woolie brush but I find the Speedmaster better - at least for me and my personal wheels.

I always take the time after engine cleaning to replace the grease on the hinges and locks and put some on the battery posts to discourage oxidation/corrosion.

Good time to inspect the battery cables for tightness also.
    You're a true Car Guy as real car guys not only know to do this but have the tools to do the work and the correct grease to do the lubrication. Most people just have the key to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

Nice review/ how to article! And a lot of great tips and techniques I will be useing myself next engine cleaning. Seems like I will have to look at the side-kick some more. It's seems very handy for a lot of places.

/ Tony

Thanks Tony. I always appreciate you're taking the time to chime in. Now days - so many people just click on a thread and read it (or scan it), and rarely do they participate. I appreciate those that participate a lot more than those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

Thanks for all those pictures, yes this was both a demo and a hands-on tutorial. Thanks for sharing the tips and tricks once again.

Love the use of the Sidekick hand blower and using it to dry the brushes is a much easier method than swinging it to dry.

Should have a happy Camaro owner, hope they can keep it up!

Kirby

Thanks Kirby, and because you just went through my 3-day detailing class, except for the Tornador Air Foamer - for all other aspects of how to detail an engine and the tools to use I hope you'll agree I am the real deal and walked this talk in the class on Saturday morning.

Pictures & Comments - January 2019 3-Day Detailing Class

Thanks for all the comments and questions guys - I do appreciate your time to type.

Mike Phillips

***Update***

Just referenced this article here,

Foaming the engine bay

I could do this all day....

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

Share the tools and techniques shared in this article at all my classes.

5. Thanks Hermes1 thanked for this post
    Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

An awesome tutorial!

Post Thanks / Like

Question, I don't see anything covered like the distribution box or the MAF sensor plug. Should these be covered up before you throw the water to it? Also, do you ever take the engine hood insulator off and spray it down with cleaner/water?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

As usual Mike very good and thorough How To/Review. Great suggestions on brushes.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12