autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review: BLACKFIRE Glass Water Spot Remover

Review: BLACKFIRE Glass Water Spot Remover

BLACKFIRE Glass Water Spot Remover

From the Autogeek.com store page

BLACKFIRE Glass Water Spot Remover is a mildly abrasive polish that gently removes mild to moderate water spots from your glass surfaces. Perfect for use by hand or by machine, Glass Water Spot Remover improves the clarity and visibility of your glass without risk of any further damage!

BLACKFIRE Glass Water Spot Remover features:

• Removes mild to moderate water spots
    • Improves visibility on glass surfaces
    • Use by hand or machine

Okay, the above is great info but here's the real skinny....

When water lands on your car's glass over and over again, be it from normal rainy weather or from a man-made source, for example from a sprinkler, the water will form beads or puddles, (depends on if there's anything on the surface like a glass coating to create surface tension), and over time, you will get two topical defects on your car's glass.

Road Film - the film that builds up from dirty water that lands on your car. See my article HERE

Imprint rings - an imprint ring is the VISIBLE perimeter outline that marks where water formed a drop or a puddle and after evaporating off left a ring for chemical contamination. See my article HERE

Road film and imprint rings on glass will NOT wash off. You have to mechanically abrade it off and that's where BLACKFIRE Glass Water Spot Remover comes into the equation. You can use this product by hand or by machine but results are always better when you work by machine. Plus here at Autogeek... we don't sell hands... we sell machines. In the pictures below you'll see me using a Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher with a Lake Country ThinPro Foam Polishing Pad. This combo kicks water spots butt and it's fast and easy.

You're reading a review written by a guy that learned to detail cars in OREGON.

So what you say?

Well here's so what... it rains a LOT in Oregon and what this means is when a customer brought me their car not only would the paint have water spots but the glass would also have water spots. Here's the deal - you CANNOT make the paint look perfect and then give your customer back their car with water spots on the glass so a LONG TIME AGO I learned the value and the NECCASSITY of machine polishing glass.

Here's an old worn out cliché

Work smarter instead of harder

Everyone throws that old cliché around so loosely but they NEVER show you how to actually work smarter instead of working harder so the cliché and the person spouting it are of no use. So let me share with you how to work smarter instead of harder. Next time you go to wash your car, START by machine polishing the glass with the BLACKFIRE Water Spot Remover.

Why?

Because glass polishing can be a tick messy as you'll get polish splatter on the inside of the window frame on the windshield, doors, sides of cars and back of framed glass on the back of a vehicle. Not a big deal as you can simply wipe the splatter off. But here's what I do and teach in all of my classes. Machine polish all the exterior glass and then wash the car. You'll get your glass perfectly clean like it was brand new and when you wash the car you'll remove all the splatter. You'll kill two birds with one stone. You'll work smarter instead of harder.

After you machine polish you glass crystal clear again stick a fork in the project and call it done or clean the glass with a glass cleaner and apply a glass sealant or a glass coating and then in the future your glass will stay cleaner longer or if you're driving in the rain the water will simply fly off the windows. In the case of your windshield after about 30 mile per hour you won't need your wipers and rain water will basicly fly off the glass.

Here's some pictures that show you what to do and how easy this is.... by the way, the spots you see on the glass, if you were to wash this Honda Pilot, the spots or more specifically, the IMPRINT RINGS would NOT WASH OFF. And the more time that goes by the worse they get. The ONLY way to remove the imprint ring left by water that has dried on glass is to mechanically remove them via a glass-safe polish.

Here's the sun roof on a Honda Pilot. Water lands, dries and leaves water spots with imprint rings.

The imprint rings are the outer perimeter lines that mimic how the water drop formed and then dried.

GREAT tool for machine polishing glass and your car's paint. See my article HERE

Happy face - you don't have to do this, just put some product on the face of the pad....

Run the polisher over the glass on the 4 - 5 speed setting....

Wipe residue off with microfiber towel...

BOOM! --> clean glass again!

This looks good....

This looks bad...

Now I'll remove the tape and do the other side as a way of saying thank you to the owner for letting me use their SUV for this article.

There we go... the other half is polished clean...

And now the driver's side...

This product really works good.... you wont' be disappointed....

Portraint photo from an iPhone 10XS Max - notice how the background is blurred but the bottle is in focus. Pretty cool.

Review

Great product. Great performance. I'll be adding this product to all my car detailing classes for the students to learn about and use.

I'd say 99.9% of the cars on the road, and this mean your car or cars, needs to have the glass polished. Everything on the outside of your car gets a film on it including the glass. Take my word for it, I teach car detailing for a living. Seeing is believing but you can also FEEL the difference on glass that has been polished and glass that has not been polished.

Here's my best tip for using this product. Either do like I 'normally' do and machine polish the glass and the wash the car OR tape off the inner perimeter of the frame around the glass so you don't have to clean out splatter after you're done polishing the glass.

Also - for products like these - SHAKE WELL before and during use so you always have uniform mixture of abrasives throughout the product.

On Autogeek.com

BLACKFIRE Glass Water Spot Remover

BLACKFIRE Glass Water Spot Remover - 1 gallon

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE Glass Water Spot Remover

***Bump***

Share this must-do step for a full exterior detail in all my classes.

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1. So what your saying is, I should use this each time I do an exterior detail a vehicle?

2. How many pads can I expect to use on a vehicle? Say a minivan? Still one pad per panel?

Post Thanks / Like

Which of the Griot's 5.5 inch BOSS Pads would you recommend for this polish?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

1. So what your saying is, I should use this each time I do an exterior detail a vehicle?
    In my opinion and experience - YES.

I always machine polish the glass on every car I detail including my own. All you have to do to prove how important this is? Place a strip of painter's tape in the middle of a car window - the back window is good, and then machine polish just one half of the glass. Wipe off the reside and then FEEL both sides. Spray water on both sides. Wipe both sides with any glass cleaner and see what's on the side you don't polish.

Yancy and I are going to do a LIVE Detailing Class on this topic after my 3-day detailing class.

By the way - I teach this in ALL my car detailing classes.

If you're going to WASH a car - then machine polish the glass before you wash the car. Then you can wash off all the polish residue that will sling around and onto the window frame or plastic cowling around the wiper arms, etc.

2. How many pads can I expect to use on a vehicle? Say a minivan? Still one pad per panel?
    No. You can do this with a single pad. There's something in this product that tends to destroy the foam - so I use my scrap pads for glass polishing when using the BF Water Spot Remover.

Which of the Griot's 5.5 inch BOSS Pads would you recommend for this polish?
    Any foam cutting pad. The BOSS orange pad is good for this, the white pad is too stiff but it can be used too. The yellow and black are too soft.

Mike Phillips

I could look up class after class after class with photo-documentation showing my students machine polishing glass before washing cars, here's just ONE class

Pictures: Colorado Roadshow Class- Denver Auto Shield

Here's forum member Billy Baldone machine polishing the glass windshield

7. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's a BRAND NEW Porsche and it had a HORRIBLE film on all the glass.

Review: IGL Poly Ceramic Coating - 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Here's the windows wiped clean and that's it. I have not started the paint correction to the paint yet.

Again - all you have to do to prove how needed this step is - is to do it just once and pay attention to the glass before and after look and feel.

9. Likes PaulMys, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, when you say polish glass before washing, do you just go at the windshield with dirt, dust, bug guts etc on it? I only ask because you mention taping off half of a window, and then after polishing wiping both sides with glass cleaner to see what’s on the unpolished side. The windows on my daily driver get hammered as I live off of a dirt road. No way I’d want to use polish with the dirt road dust that I get still on the surface.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

11. Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDGolden View Post
    Mike, when you say polish glass before washing, do you just go at the windshield with dirt, dust, bug guts etc on it? I only ask because you mention taping off half of a window, and then after polishing wiping both sides with glass cleaner to see what’s on the unpolished side. The windows on my daily driver get hammered as I live off of a dirt road. No way I’d want to use polish with the dirt road dust that I get still on the surface.
    I live in Oklahoma, so I can really relate to your comment.

I'd say, wash it, iron decon, then polish your glass, then do a waterless wash with Sonax Glass Cleaner and the Cobra Shine & Buff Waterless Wash towels to remove splatter dots.

After this, clay, polish the vehicle, if you desire, and then apply your desired last step product.

I'm exited to see others chime in on this as well.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDGolden View Post
    I’d say it would be treated the same way you’d polish a car, which would be with clean glass. I think the second glass cleaning is just to get any fillers or polish off the polished side so you’re seeing the glass itself and you’re comparing the corrected half to the non-corrected but still clean half.