autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Review: Speedmaster Glass Towel

Review: Speedmaster Glass Towel

A stack of 12 Speedmaster Glass Towel

From the website

Speed Master Premium Glass Towel

No streaks, No smears, No dragging!

Speed master has long been a trusted name in detailing tools and accessories. They have continued to uphold that legacy with the creation of the Speed Master Premium Glass Towel! The genius diamond flat-weave design of the Speed Master Premium Glass Towel minimizes any streaking or smearing during the cleaning process. This makes sure that even the dirtiest windows and glass can be brought to absolute transparency with ease!

When you are cleaning your windows or glass, the towels and products you are using are of the utmost importance. Not just any shop towel will be able to get you the results you need when working to clear the plethora of contaminants and grime from your car’s glass. Most towels have longer fibers, which are the main cause of streaking when working on glass. The drag on the glass and create a trail of grime that we call a “streak”

The Speed Master Premium Glass Towel avoids this common problem by having drastically smaller fibers and a tight-knit weave. This ensures that the fibers generate as little drag as possible when being moved across the glass. No drag, no streaks!

The Speed Master Premium Glass Towel is absorbent enough to quickly suck up the grime and dirt once your preferred glass cleaner is applied. It will pull the contaminates deep into its fibers to prevent them from being re-deposited onto your glass.

The Speed Master Premium Glass Towel was constructed to really be put through the wringer (pun intended). Its fibers are kitted tightly, which means they are much less likely to separate due to repeat use. The reduced drag of its diamond-weave construction also generates less friction, which reduce the amount of wear that the Speed Master Premium Glass Towel see over many uses. Towels may seem like a throw away wear piece, but there is no reason they shouldn’t be able to last through the long-haul!

Cleaning your glass doesn’t have to be the chore it has been in the past. The Speed Master Premium Glass Towel can help you see just how easy clear glass can be!

16 x 16 inches

I have an article I wrote a few years ago... here it is,

Run what you brung - Use what you have -Mike Phillips

What I say in the above article is, I use what I have. When I wrote this review and a few others, I had an old 2-door Chevy here at Autogeek to detail - so while it's here.... I'm going to use it.

Here's the Speedmaster Glass Towel spread over the hood of an 1966 Corvette Stingray. It measures 16" by 16" square.

This towel has a diamond pattern, flat weave design which in my experience, flat weave towels with their tight knit work best for cleaning glass without leaving any lint behind. The diamond pattern creates areas that grab liquids like the glass cleaner and the gunk its removing and can trap them into both the diamond shaped squares of microfiber and the channels between the diamond shaped squares of microfiber.

Note the Speedmaster tag
    This tag is sewn into the seam stitching and it is NOT recommended to try to tear it off. If you tear it off you will unravel the seam stitching. It's best to leave it on and this will visually identify these towels in your microfiber towel collection as dedicated glass cleaning towels or if you are inclined to cut it off then use a pair of scissors and simply cut the tag close to the stitching without cutting the stitching. I include this little tidbit of information as I was caught by surprise that the tag did not simply tear off. Most detailers are taught to remove tabs from microfiber towels used for car paint so it becomes a normal habit for must of us. Some would even call removing tags a "best practice". But not with this tag. FYI

I'm a huge van of 16" by 16" towels because when folded 4-ways the make a square that fits my hands. Another way of saying this is I'm NOT a fan of 16" by 20" towels, of any type for the opposite reason, i.e. they do NOT fit my hand and you cannot easily fold them to create a square.

Here's the view from the passenger side looking through the windshield. It's actually clean. That's okay though, I'm NOT testing a glass cleaners ability to clean, I'm testing a towels ability to wipe without streaking and I don't need a dirty windshield for this type of test although it would be a more thorough test of both the towel and the glass cleaner.

And the view from the driver's seat....

Mike's Technique Tip

First I dampen the side I'm going to hold, not the side I'm going to wipe with.

Why?

Because a moist towel is easier to grip and move over a surface versus a dry towel. Human skin is dry and if the towel is dry it's simply hard to grip. So I mist a LITTLE glass cleaner to the side that I'm going to place against my hand. You only do this when starting out with a completely dry towel. Once you start to use a towel (for any wiping work), after the initial wipe the working side of the towel will then be damp and thus easy to then grip. By the way, I teach this tip and hundreds of other tips in my
    detailing classes.

Me dampening one side of the towel - the side that will go against my hand....

Next I'm going to spray the glass cleaner directly onto the glass. And "yes" I did get some glass cleaner overspray onto the dash but I also wiped the dash clean to remove the dust on the dash.

Next I wipe off all the glass cleaner, took this picture after I wiped it all off as I'm my own write, demo guy and photographer...

Mike's Technique Tip
    For the last passes when cleaning inside glass use an up and down movement. Then when cleaning outside glass use a side-to-side movement. Then if you have any streaks you'll know which side of the glass has the streaks. In this glass cleaning demo I had ZERO STREAKS so it wasn't a problem.

Don't forget the rear view mirror. For this I'll fold the towel to a clean side and then spray some glass cleaner directly onto the towel.
    Note the photography skill to capture the stream of glass cleaner mid-air.

Wipe, wipe wipe.... the rear view mirror was actually dirty....

Clean...

This is just a beauty shot - has nothing to do with the towel. Nice cockpit huh?

And here's the glass after cleaning just the inside. Zero streaks.

Now the outside. First I spray some glass cleaner onto both sides of the windshield...

Next - I use the Speedmaster Glass Towel to spread out the glass cleaner and then wipe to a streak-free result.

For the outside glass I finish my wiping strokes using a side-to-side motion....

Next I move to the passenger side and repeat....

First spread the glass cleaner around and then do the final wipe side-to-side...

I'm a tick of a perfectionist so I also take the time to LIFT the chrome wiper arms and blades and clean the glass next to the lower window frame.

And BOOM! Perfectly clean glass with ZERO streaks on either side.

I'd say most of you reading this and looking at these pictures wish you had a windshield this clean and clear!

Some of you might even wish you had this car!

Review
    I'm a clean glass fanatic. Since coming to work for Autogeek in July of 2009 I've been using the same old waffle weave glass towels and I must say, due to their flat weave design they actually work really well. Like these new Speedmaster glass towels, they don't leave any lint behind. If I had to say which towel works better, and I hate to cannibalize a sale from an existing product that we sell a ton of.... I'd give the edge to the new Speedmaster Glass Towel. The weave and design to the face of the towel works. The towels doesn't drag and it doesn't leave any streaks. I'd prefer to be able to remove the tag without ruining the towel by undoing the stitching but the performance of the towel outweighs my persnickety preferences for tag less towels.

Cleaning glass, at least the inside glass of a car is a pain in the rear. To make any glass cleaning job faster and easier, including mirrors inside your house, you need a great glass cleaning towel. This is that towel.

On Autogeek.com

Speed Master Premium Glass Towel - $8.99

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Speedmaster Glass Towel

Continued....

This is a stack of 12 clean Speedmaster Glass towels....

One more thing.....

If you're new to car detailing and the glass cleaning aspect of car detailing in specific. OR you simply didn't know what I'm going to share below.... here's the deal....

To do a proper job of cleaning glass you need lots of towels. This is not Marketing 101 - this is Common Sense 101.

Here's why....

When you make a wipe across a section of glass... if your choice of glass cleaner is working and if your glass towel is working then the gunk you're trying to remove is NOW ON THE TOWEL. If you use this side of the towel to make another wipe you will have just performed a text book example of cross transferring the contaminants from one area to the new areas. In other words you're fighting yourself. And this is why a lot of people struggle to get clean glass let alone streak-free glass.

The secret?

Use lots of towels.

Each time you make an initial wipe to a new section of dirty glass stop using that side and switch to an uncontaminated side or re-fold the towel to expose a clean portion. You cannot use lots of towels if you don't have lots of towels.

In most cases, Autogeek sells "bundles" when it comes to selling in bulk. For example most towels we sell are offered as singles, 6-packs or 12 packs. If you're an enthusiast get a 6-pack. If you're a Pro Detailer than get a 12-pack.

Here's another tip....

Don't wash your glass towels with other towels. Only wash glass towels with glass towels and this will keep them from becoming contaminated from anything on the non-glass towels. Also get and use a dedicated microfiber detergent. Have a clean place to store dirty towels until you're ready to wash them. When washing glass towels, use warm water and then dry using cool temp setting. Once dry, remove the towels and inspect them and then fold them and then have a clean place to store them until you need them again.

By following the above tips you will preserve the performance of your glass towels and they will be ready to perform when called upon.

Speedmaster Glass Towels

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Speedmaster Glass Towel

***Bump***

Towels are now available on AG Store.