autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: BLACKFIRE Tire & Trim Sealant

Review: BLACKFIRE Tire & Trim Sealant

BLACKFIRE Tire & Trim Sealant

From the AG website

BLACKFIRE Tire & Trim Sealant restores, renews, and protects any color exterior trim including rubber, plastic, and vinyl from outside contaminants that can cause fading, like UV rays. Use on trim that is new or faded. Leave a like-new finish that lasts for months. Will not stain paint or glass. Can also be used on tires for a long-lasting protection and shine.

BLACKFIRE Tire & Trim Sealant features:

• Restores & protects exterior trim
    • Long-lasting tire protectant
    • Easy to use
    • Provides UV protection

The above description is pretty straightforward. This is a trim and tire restorer and protectant. Apply, work in or over the surface and then wipe-off the excess.

Here's the BEST TIP I can share with you when it comes to detailing exterior plastic trim

Find something you like and use it often -Mike Phillips

Some of you recognize that quote. I've been sharing it online since 2002 - that's 16 years now. The point of the quote as it relates to exterior plastic trim is this,

Most people, after purchasing a NEW car with plastic trim don't do anything to it because it looks new. Makes sense. New car, new looking trim, new looking everything.

But here's the deal... the plastic fades and turns ugly S-L-O-W-L-Y over time. Then a few years down the road, you look at the car, the paint is still shiny but the trim is ugly. Then you look for a MIRACLE PRODUCT to make it look new again with a SINGLE application. Sorry, doesn't work that way. If you let the plastic trim deteriorate then a single application of anything won't make it look new. AND... you're going to have to do more than simply wash the trim to remove the oxidization. Usually you have to scrub it with some form of All-Purpose-Cleaner at a minimum.,

Here's my best tip and really good advice.

RIGHT NOW! While the car is NEW and the trim looks GOOD! Right now, start applying a trim sealant or protectant. By ACTING now while the trim looks new or GREAT you will be doing what is called,

Preventative Maintenance

Kind of like an oil change. The oil in your car's engine is changed BEFORE it goes bad so the engine is not harmed by worn-out oil. If you start treating your trim while it looks good it won't ever look bad. You won't have to find a miracle product or spend hours scrubbing the trim with an APC.

It's up to you, but I speak from experience. It's faster and easier to simply maintain exterior plastic trim than it is to try to restore it down the road.

So how do you maintain plastic trim?

Simple - find a product for trim from a brand you trust and simply follow directions.

This is a 2014 Chevy Spark, it's about 4+ years old and while the plastic is still in good shape even after washing it, when I wipe it with an APC I remove some dead oxidized plastic.

Step 1: Wipe plastic surface using an all-purpose-cleaner to ensure surface is clean. Scrub using terry cloth if the plastic trim is visibly oxidized (turning white)

Here's dead plastic coming off the door handle and surrounding plastic cladding

Here's clean plastic ready for treating...

Pour some of the BLACKFIRE Tire & Trim Sealant onto some type of applicator pad. Here I'm using a soft foam finger pocket.

Technique Tip
    When working on vertical surfaces, spread the product out and push into the applicator pad and this way it won't simply drop onto the floor and run down into cracks and crevices.

Step 2: Spread BLACKFIRE Tire and Trim Sealant over and into plastic surface.

Here you can see the darkening effect...

Step 3: Use a clean, dry microfiber towel to wipe off any excess and you're done.

Now this is what Pebble Textured Black Plastic Trim should look like...

What the heck, Anna is so nice to let me use her car I'm going to get the other side....

And I'll also get the black plastic pebble textured trim at the front of the car...

Tip - A lot of cars have rear view mirrors and the bottom is not painted but plastic.

BLACKFIRE Tire & Trim Sealant also works on rubber and vinyl trim...

Wiping off the excess....

Stick a fork in it, call it done and kick it out the door...

Review
    Easy to use trim protectant, sealant and restorer. The plastic on the car I tested this product out on was in good shape. I'm not sure how well it would restore neglected plastic without first pre-cleaning the plastic but it does have a solvent odor to it and to me that's a sign it will clean.

As you can see in the pictures the product is purple in color and has a rich consistency like hand lotion. This makes it easy to apply and work over a surface. The excess wiped off easy including wiping off of the glass and the paint where I rubbed excess product.

The most important thing when it comes to exterior plastic trim is to get some and then use it. Don't let it sit on a shelf in your garage gathering dust. I included the link to the foam applicator finger pockets below and I'd recommend getting these to as they make applying the sealant easy without making a mess.

On Autogeek.com

Black Fine Flex Foam Finger Pockets - 3 Pack

BLACKFIRE APC All-Purpose Cleaner

2. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE Tire & Trim Sealant

Continued.....

Product is also for tires. 2 weeks ago I washed the Golden Eagle including scrubbing the tires clean. I dressed the driver's side but left the passenger side tires naked.

First - If you don't have an Autogeek Knee N' Back Pad then GET ONE! You'll use this to sit on the ground in front of your wheels and tires when cleaning them during the washing step and also when dressing the tires. It will keep your pants from getting dirty and it's a HECK of a lot more comfortable then sitting on soft, cushy concrete.

Autogeek Knee N' Back Pad

Here's my tires after being exposed to the world for 2 weeks. The product description says it cleans and restores so let's test it out...

I use microfiber applicators to apply most dressings. They seem to work as good or better than foam tire applicators.

Smoosh and smear, smoosh and smear....

MY SECRET WEAPON --> RaggTopp Premium Convertible Top Brush

The bristles on this brush are not only perfect for safely cleaning delicate canvas convertible tops but the feathered bristles are also perfect for working tire dressings into all the intricate designs on the sidewall of tires.

RaggTopp Premium Convertible Top Brush

See how it moves the dressing around all the intricate areas like lettering so the dressing is not all piled up in GLOBS?

Must have tools no matter what dressing, protectant or sealant you use on tires....

Here's some before and after shots....

Can't drive around with a dull section on my tires....

Smoosh and smear...

Secret Weapon!

Then a final wipe to remove any excess to avoid tire dressing sling....

Boom! Perfectly dressed tires!

Now to do the back tire...

Same procedure and techniques....

This brush is a must-have-tool for both tires and tops...

Done!

Review
    Seems to work great as a tire dressing. I don't like greasy or oily tire dressings so I liked this product because it's nothing like a greasy, slimy tire dressing. Seem to spread out really well and appeared to soak into the rubber.

My secret weapon is the RaggTopp Canvas Top Brush. This brush works INCREDIBLEY WELL for scrubbing the tire dressing into the siping and also in and around all the lettering and sidewall designs. If you've never used this brush for working in and working over the sidewall a tire dressing then get one and thank me later. Just be sure to MARK it as your tire or engine detailing brush and then NEVER use it on a canvas convertible top as it's better to have dedicated brushes when working on very different surfaces.

On Autogeek.com

Autogeek Knee N' Back Pad

RaggTopp Premium Convertible Top Brush

Mike Phillips

***Update***

Took these pictures about 8:30am the following day when the sun was coming up and shining on the car...

Black as can be....

And also no greasy or slimy looking....

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

Product is now on the AG store

Post Thanks / Like

Geez Mike. Excellent review!

I tried this yesterday. So far, I like it. I'll play with it some more and will post a review soon.
    Funny enough, I used the same blue MF applicator you show in the last pics

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review! Just placed an order. The older version(Blackfire Trim & Tire Protectant) has been my go-to for tires, black plastic under the hood, and black exterior trim. Sadly, that product went away. Glad to see this newer version. Hoping AG will consider selling it in a larger size as 8 oz won't go very far.

David

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

Geez Mike. Excellent review!
    Thanks Jesus...

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

Funny enough, I used the same blue MF applicator you show in the last pics
    Yeah sometimes a simple microfiber or even cotton applicator pad, (cloth with foam inside), works better to apply, spread and work-in a dressing than other options.

I also like the RaggTopp brush. Once you use one of these RaggTopp brushes for tires there's no going back, kind of. I mean you could do a really good job of cleaning the brush so you could then use it for say a white convertible top but I wouldn't. I would just dedicated it for tires and other cool things like scrubbing engine compartments. It works really well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Thanks Jesus...
    You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Yeah sometimes a simple microfiber or even cotton applicator pad, (cloth with foam inside), works better to apply, spread and work-in a dressing than other options.

I also like the RaggTopp brush. Once you use one of these RaggTopp brushes for tires there's no going back, kind of. I mean you could do a really good job of cleaning the brush so you could then use it for say a white convertible top but I wouldn't. I would just dedicated it for tires and other cool things like scrubbing engine compartments. It works really well.

You know, that RaggTopp brush looks neat enough. I just may pick one up for tire use.

And come to think of it, that knee n back pad could prove to be useful ! ! When I used the BF Tire & Trim Sealant yesterday, I sure was not liking sitting my butt on the concrete. Or placing my clean jeans (knee) on the not-so-clean floor. I should also get one of these pads.

If it doesn't rain, I'll be using the Sealant on the tires on JustWife's Kia this Saturday. Review will follow shortly.

Thanks for the tips, Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, I always liked the old Blackfire Tire and Trim and just ordered the BF Tire Gel. Those Michelin Premier A/S are some awesome tires (time for a rotation)!

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the same formula as before? Just curious because I really liked the other.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast