autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: Wolfgang Uber Iron Remover

Review: Wolfgang Uber Iron Remover

Wolfgang Uber Iron Remover

So here's the problem - over time your car's exterior gets contaminated with iron contamination that comes from the iron in the water, both city water and well water, as well as the iron and other industrial fallout in the air. This contamination bonds onto and embeds onto your car's paint and it simply does NOT wash off. Over time it clouds the paint with a rust or orange colored tinge that you cannot see because it builds-up slowly over time. The safest and most effective way to remove this iron contamination is to chemically dissolve it off your car during the washing process. By removing the iron contamination you'll restore a BRIGHTER appearance to your car's paint as well as perfectly prepare the paint for the next steps in a proper detail such as waxing or even better, compounding and polishing.

When you use the Wolfgang Uber Iron Remover, if there is iron contamination, you'll see it as there will be a dark red to purple color created on the surface as the iron remover chemically dissolves iron contamination present on the surface.

Here's the important thing to remember. While it's real easy to show this color-changing effect when removing iron contamination on a white or light colored car... ALL COLORS of paint become contaminated it's just harder to see the color changing effect on darker colors and black. BUT if there is iron contamination, the chemical removal process is taking place and this is what you want. You want to remove iron contamination off your car's finish because if iron is present it not only is staining the paint to hide the true color and beauty of the paint but there's also some level of corrosion and deterioration taking place at the surface level. So after buying a new car or if you own an older car, at some point you want to include an iron decontamination process during your washing regimen to remove any iron contamination if it's present. And here's the deal about that... you won't know if there is iron contamination until you use the product. So to make sure your car's paint is iron contamination free and for peace of mind, (remember your car's clear layer of paint is only around 2 mils thin), you want to use this product.

Step-by-Step

How to chemically decontaminate your car's paint using Wolfgang Uber Iron Remover

Step 1: Spray Uber Iron Remover onto the surface and allow to dwell for 3-4 minutes but don't let it dry on the surface.It won't cause any harm if it dries, it will just take a little more water spraying to fully rinse it off.

As you can easily seem my co-worker Erin's Ford Focus is extremely contaminated!

Continue spraying the Uber Iron Remover to the various body panels moving around the car.

Yep... even the paint on the side mirrors are contaminated...

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Wolfgang Uber Iron Remover

Continued.....

The back of the car is often VERY contaminated as a vacuum is created when driving at higher speeds and all the air, which includes road grime and pollution swirls around at embeds onto your car's paint and other exterior surfaces.

Check out this sequence of photos taken one right after another....

As you can see, the back of your car will often times be MORE contaminated than the sides and even the front of the car...

Around the verticle side of the back of th ecar and the top of the bumper cover....

4. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

You can also use Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner to clean and remove brake-dust, (a type of iron build-up), off your car's wheels.

Step 2: Rinse off iron contamination with a strong blast of water.

Option: if I'm already planning on machine buffing the paint, I go ahead and foam the car and then wash and rinse as normal. After this step I re-foam the car and then mechanically de-contaminate the paint using a clay substitute. By following these steps I'm able to the below in this order and get the car surgically clean for a proper detail.

1. Chemically decontaminate.
    2. Wash and clean the car removing loose dirt.
    3. Mechanically decontaminate the paint to remove bonded contaminants like overspray paint.
    4. Final rinse and dry.

Foaming the car followed by washing and rinsing...

6. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued...

And here are the results...

Look at not only how clean the paint looks but how much BRIGHTER it is?

Now this is what white should look like, bright and vibrant!

Wheels are clean too!

And alas.... I return the car back to Erin and like a lot of parking lots, the parking spaces are next to trees that will drop tree sap and other foul contaminants.

But at least she looks good for now!

Review
    First - most iron removers on the market have an incredibly foul smell, not so with Wolfgang Uber Iron Remover. If it had a scent, it wasn't enough to bother me or make me notice. Also - this iron remover appeared to work very fast, a few seconds after spraying a panel you could instantly see the iron contamination chemically dissolving and melting off the car. It also had a fairly good working time as I washed this car around 2:00pm Florida time and it didn't dry up near as fast as most iron remover I've used.

I like this product. It seems to be stronger than most of the known brands. When I'm going to detail a car and by the word detail I mean machine buff the paint, I always get the exterior as clean as I possibly can as a great detail starts with a great wash job.

If you've never used an iron remover before this would be a great first iron remove to use as I'm confident you won't be disappointed in the performance of the product and the results you get.

On Autogeek.com

Wolfgang Uber Iron Remover - 16 ounce

Wolfgang Uber Iron Remover - 128 oz.

8. Thanks Diner, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Now available on the AG Store!

Post Thanks / Like

NEVER have I been disappointed with Wolfgang ANYTHING!

Based on the pictures it looks super effective.

Thanks Mike for a well documented review!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post

NEVER have I been disappointed with Wolfgang ANYTHING!
    The Honda is neglected and I knew this before I started. I had used a beta sample of this new iron remover a few months ago and thought it had really worked well. When I was given the production bottle to test and review I did not know if it was the same product. Later Andre told me it was. (Andre is really good at finding and testing new products).

I'm like everyone else, that is I like to see water beading even though I know water beading can lead to water spotting and that's a bad thing. I also like to see paint bleed, first because I want a product that produces this visual effect (kind of like a great wax, sealant or coating creates great water beading) as that shows me the product is working but at the same time I know iron contamination is a bad thing.

CONTEST

I wrote an article on the topic of why seeing paint bleed is a good thing. I'll send a bottle of this new product to the first person that shares the link to the correct article on this topic.

Based on the pictures it looks super effective.
    I tested 4 popular iron removers when testing the final production run of Wolfgang Uber Iron Remover and this formula won hands down

Thanks Mike for a well documented review!
    I was just back from shooting TV with Dennis Gage, shooting videos almost the entire day with Olie from Flitz and then finding a neglected car and at the end of the the day, washing this car and testing this product. With the Roadshow Classes, my regular classes it's been a hyper-busy year. But I love my job!

A person will not be disappointed with this product if your car is in fact contaminated. IF it's not contaminated that's a good thing and by my pictures you will have peace-of-mind. If you don't understand why? Just ask.

12. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

great review- thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Iron X Bleeding Effect While Cleaning Brake Dust Off Wheel

Well shoot. It didn't make a link Mike. I thought this was the article but maybe not. Still a great article.

Post Thanks / Like

Using a product like this is like insurance...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

16. Likes JustJesus liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast