autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray

Review: Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray

From the webpage for this product

Wolfgang Über SiO2 Silica Spray is a spray-on, wipe-off paint sealant featuring an advanced silicone dioxide formula that creates a super-slick and hydrophobic layer of long-lasting protection. Boost your paint coating's water-beading capabilities or use as an independent protection product.

Wolfgang Über SiO2 Silica Spray features:

• Ultra-strength silica protection
    • Slick, hydrophobic finish

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray uses a blend of silica dioxide and super-polymers to create a long-lasting and hard-as-nails finish on your painted surfaces. Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray is easy to use and within minutes will impart a hydrophobic layer that shines like a wax and protects like a paint sealant. Perfect for use as a stand-alone sealant or as a topper on the paint coating that’s already been applied, Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray provides the protection your need with the level of shine that you want.

In this new era of detailing, there are many and more ways your paint can be protected – car waxes, car sealants, paint coatings, and now, SiO2 spray sealants. While waxes and paint coatings tend to dominate the market, Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray is making a name for itself when it comes to easy to apply paint protection. With an average protection time of up to 6 months, Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray outlasts your favorite car wax without compromising the deep shine you’ve come to love!

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray uses silica dioxide (most commonly found in nature as quartz) to provide a rock-hard layer of protection on your paint. This level of protection creates an extremely high surface tension which, in turn, makes the surface almost waterproof. Instead of pooling on the surface, Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray makes the water (and other surface contaminants) roll right off!

In addition to extreme levels of hydrophobicity, Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray leaves a slick finish that helps keep your car cleaner, as well as making it easier to clean next time. And of course, you can’t have a high gloss without a slick surface!

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray is perfect as a quick, stand-alone paint sealant and can be applied as often as you want! Have a vehicle that’s already coated with a ceramic or quartz-based coating? Use Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray to boost your paint coating’s hydrophobicity and gloss levels!

The info reads very straight forward. And over the last few years there have been a lot of silicone dioxide paint care product introduced to the market. And for the most part, seems like most people really like the characteristics of these types of products, which are,

• Super hydrophobic surface that repels water.
    • Faster washing
    • Faster drying
    • Self-cleaning effect when it rains as rain water carries dirt off the car
    • Hi gloss shine, some would even call the appearance glassy over glossy
    • In the case of some product a slick feel to the paint in the case of other products, a rubbery feel to the paint. (This product makes the paint feel slick and slippery)

So I washed my daily driver, dried her off and then moved onto using the product.

Testing a spray on product

I don't do mock-up very well. I already know some people that read my reviews will be suspicious of the authenticity of what I write because I work for the company that sells the product I review. So for me, it's important to do two things,

1: Actually use the product, by this I don't mean use the product to a section of a hood on a car but if the product is to be used over an entire car then read the directions, follow them and apply to an entire car.

2: Be honest in my review.

My experience over the last 9 year in the TV world working on "car guy" shows is that a lot of what you see is mocked-up, mostly due to the short time constraints everyone is under to show a ton of info in 20 minutes. (a 30 minute TV show is 20 minutes of content). That's how the TV world rolls but that's not how I roll. So I set my alarm for 5:00am, took a shower, got dressed, drove to work and started setting up to wash my daily driver in the dark. The sun rise for today was supposed to be about 7:20am, I was washing before 7:00am and it was still dark outside. Had to start early because not only is it easier to wash a car when it's still cool outside but Yancy and I are supposed to shoot b-roll all day today, tomorrow and then Wednesday for the 26 segments we shot on the set of "My Classic Car" last week and then this Thursday I fly out for a Roadshow Class with Jim Lafeber of Dr. Beasely's in Chicago, Illinois.

So time is compressed and in order to meet schedules, you do what you have to do but I'm not going to simply mock-up using a product due to short time constraints.

The directions state this product works best on a freshly washed and dried car.

Then after washing and drying the car,

1. spray the product onto a surface to be treated,
    2. spray an even layer directly onto the area to be treated.
    3. Using a clean and soft microfiber buffing towel, gently buff product away from the surface. F
    4. lip your towel to a clan side and remove any excess product.
    5. No cure time is necessary.

My technique for using spray on products
    Years ago, back in 2004, due to the confusion surrounding the correct way to use a spray wax, I shared my technique. The technique is simple but if you don't know it you'll find yourself fighting yourself. Here it is,

Dampen one side of a folded microfiber towel and then use this dampened side to spread the product over the entire car. Then use a SEPERATE dry towel to wipe off the excess.

Why?

Because if you try to apply and spread a liquid with a dry towel, the towel will try to remove the product as you're trying to spread it. In other words you'll be fighting yourself.

If you start with a towel dampened with the product you want to spread over the surface, it's fast and easy. Then assuming the product is easy to wipe-off, it will then be fast and easy to wipe the remaining film off the car.

Gather your supplies...

I chose to use a thick, plush microfiber towels to both apply and wipe-off the product. I figured if the product is applied using a thin layer and wipe-off is easy, then I'll only need one towel to apply and one, maybe 2 towels to remove.

NOTE: Be sure to inspect your towels before "touching" paint like I share here,

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

It was 7:39am as I started. I planned to work solid, no breaks and time myself to see how long it would take to treat an entire mid-size SUV.

First I dampen one side of a clean, INSPECTED microfiber towel. Most of the pictures I took I did my best to capture the spray coming out of the sprayer as that's about as much "action" as I can get without shooting a video on how to do this the correct way.

NOTE: When I did this review, the product I used was a beta product and at that time the product was red. By the time this product went into production the new formula is clear.

Here you can see I've sprayed some product onto the hood and my dampened towel is laying with the wet side against the paint.

Now I spread the product over the paint, holding the camera in my other hand to get this action shot. This would be so much easier with a video.

I continue to work the product over the surface. Because this is the firs time I've used this product I did about a quarter of the hood to start with.

Here you can see my towel is starting to saturate evenly - it will become wetter as I work around the SUV.

Hard to see on this gold paint but that is an even layer of Uber SiO2 Silica Spray on the back quarter of the passenger side of the hood.

After applying and wiping off to just one quarter of the hood, I then applied to the rest of the hood and wiped it off and wipe-off was a breeze!

Applying to only a section of paint and then wiping the product off is a good "Best Practice" anytime you're using a product that is NEW TO YOU. The last thing you want to do is apply a product that is new to you to an entire car and then find out it wipes off hard. I'm happy to say this product wiped-off without any effort on my part.

Start at the top and work your way down

After testing on the hood, I grabbed a Werner Work Platform and knocked out the roof first and then work my way down and around.

For wiping the product off I used the fluffy nap side of the microfiber towel, this seem to work best to make wipe-off easy with streak-free results.

Tired to get this shot showing how shiny the paint came out but after taking the shot, moving the SUV out of the garage and then about an hour later going through the photos, this shot was out of focus. Sorry but you get the idea... paint was shiny!

Moved over to the other side....

Now driver's side front fender and down the driver's side to include both doors and back fender....

Back of the car....

Passenger side of car....

I'm still applying with the same side I dampened when I started....

Switching to fluffy side of same towel I started with to wipe-off the passenger side....

Passenger side mirror is next....

Below the mirror and passenger side door...

Front bumper....

Front license plate...

And that's about as exciting as I can make somehow showing you how to apply and wipe-off a spray-on product.

2. Thanks Diner, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray

Continued.....

Here's the original microfiber towel I started out using to apply the product. You can easily see the once quarter of dampened towel I used.

If you have never tried my technique for applying spray-on products - try it. I think you'll find you use less product and less energy.

And here's the results after I treated every panel with the new Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray

I took this picture of the clock after wiping the last panel, this means working non-stop, it took me right at 37 minutes to apply and wipe-off to a mid-sized SUV and not skimping anywhere.

FWIW - water just streams off the paint...

Review
    This is really nice product. First and foremost because wipe-on and wipe-off is easy. The gloss and shine is excellent. The surface left behind is very hydrophobic and this makes washing and drying fast and easy, which I like when it comes to washing anything and especially SUVs.

How long it lasts comes down to what I tell everyone about any paint protection product and it the answer is always the same - how long a product lasts depends on how you wash or "touch" the paint when washing. I try to wash our cars as often as I can with my travel schedule. Right now that's about once or twice a month. So next time I wash this car I'll pay attention to how it washes and dries and water beading. I'll take some pictures and update this thread.

If you're looking for a product that's easy to use and offers great water beading then get this new product and make it your new go-to silicone dioxide paint sealant.

On Autogeek.com

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray - 16 ounce - $34.99

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray - 1 gallon - $109.99

4. Thanks Diner, edwelly, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

Started washing the Lexus at 6:50am and finished wiping off the Uber SiO2 Silica Spray at 8:16am

It was time to go home and wash me!

6. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Now available!

Post Thanks / Like

Comparison the blackfire si02 spray ? Differences/similarities?
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Great review as always Mike!

Do the microfiber towels clean up ok afterwards? I would think the silica spray would dry and harden, making for a "crusty-not-so-soft" towel, especially if you wait a few days to wash your towels. Or perhaps a few towels should be dedicated for this product and process? Just curious.

Thanks,
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    Comparison the blackfire si02 spray ? Differences/similarities?
    i was just about to ask the same thing

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW-- I've been using the Blackfire SiO2 spray and have a pile of UNWASHED plush towels sitting here that I used for application over the last couple months. They feel clean and good as new.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez. They are barely spacing out the release of the PBMG brands 'like' products now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZpolisher15 View Post
    FWIW-- I've been using the Blackfire SiO2 spray and have a pile of UNWASHED plush towels sitting here that I used for application over the last couple months. They feel clean and good as new.
    Same here. I don’t think these have enough concentration of SiO2 to harden towels, unless maybe if you poured it onto a towel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast